December 14, 2019, 03:42:15 PM

Author Topic: No Nice Summer Villa  (Read 13544 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
No Nice Summer Villa
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
The Gareth Barry saga must be coming to a conclusion very soon, I'd imagine.  Martin O'Neill is probably mightily pissed off with us.  He'll do all in his powers to hold on to his captain.

I also see in today's Birmingham Mail, other worrying developments.

MARTIN O'Neill is believed to have cooled his interest in signing Scott Carson on a permanent basis as he focuses on the three potential recruits he believes could thrive at Villa Park.

The Villa boss was offered Carson at a reduced £6million fee by Rafa Benitez as a sweetner to try and advance his negotiations to buy GarethBarry, but O'Neill still thinks that is too much.

The Villa boss instead has turned to Manchester United's Ben Foster on loan, as revealed by the Mail yesterday and American 'keeper Brad Guzan.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Julie

Re: No Nice Summer Villa
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »
The Gareth Barry saga must be coming to a conclusion very soon, I'd imagine.  Martin O'Neill is probably mightily pissed off with us.  He'll do all in his powers to hold on to his captain.

I also see in today's Birmingham Mail, other worrying developments.

dude: I wonder if this is a bit of gamesmanship on O'Neill's part to bring down Carson's price. Ben Foster has said that he wants to be at United next season to fight for Van Der Saar's spot and while the promise of first team football might be enticing for him, I get the impression he's got his sights set on the heights of OT.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »
We should start rumours that Villa are totally skint, their US owner has taken all their cash and they just can't afford Carson.

;)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »
You could well be right, Julie.  It might be gamesmanship.

But if it were me (i.e. if I were the Villa boss), I'd be looking beyond Carson as well.  I don't rate the lad that much.  Ben Foster is a much better keeper imho.  But like you say, is there any hope of him leaving OT.  If I were O'Neill, I'd be trying to at least get Foster on a one year loan deal.  It would probably very much suit Foster as well. 

Martin O'Neill is a highly intelligent individual.  And he's pissed I bet (re Barry).  if we do get Barry, I suspect it will be a long drawn out process and will possibly mess up our overall summer transfer scheme.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »
We should start rumours that Villa are totally skint, their US owner has taken all their cash and they just can't afford Carson.

;)
:D  :D  :D

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
This kind of thing could backfire if it is gamesmanship. Unless he's been pre-warned, Carson's hardly going to feel "wanted" and if other clubs do come in with similar personal terms he'll hardly choose Villa first.

Personally, under normal circumstances, I'd say a deal worth potentially £10m should be achievable - based on appearances, England appearances, sell-on values and so on. But that kind of deal would get us less up front than we might get with a deal payable now, and we probably just need all these extra odd millions here and there.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
Very true....re Carson feeling wanted. 

10 million sounds a lot of money for a bog standard keeper.  But I think most of us haven't factored in the lucrative new TV deal.....and thus 10 million, like you say, could be very do-able (and pretty average for similar transfers in the future).

Kingjari

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:11:51 PM »
slightly off topic but i read that a la Barca, Aston Villa will have the name of a children's charity called acorn on their shirts next season. well in Randy Lerner, good to know that not all American owners of prestigious Premier league clubs are greedy, lying, money grabbing, opportuneist Gob******.

Jim have you heard of this, anywhere ?

About carson, its quite obvious that the lad will move on in the summer, whether that is to Villa or possibly Fulham as reported. Personally my money's on a suprise kevin Keegan swoop to buy a decent english stopper for silly money. £10 million is fantastic, even £5 mil represents a tidy profit. All the best to Scott regardless of where he ends up.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:23:13 PM by Kingjari »

PhilLFC

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Makes me laugh, O´neil is embarking on the same journey as Whiskey nose, and doing his level best to make the fans alienate barry and putting pressure on the boy in order to keep him, the same reaction was carried out by wiskey nose when we came in for Heinze, and using the media to influence the whole saga in their favour!! Villa are going nowhere, Gareth Barry wants to come to us and "Better" his Career, He´s made the right decision... ;) :)

martin

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if O'Neill isn't consigned to losing Barry and is playing hardball to negotiate the fee for Carson down in any deal for Barry.

Personally, we can get rid of Carson and they can keep Barry!  >:(

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 07:19:16 AM »
Can't find anything official about the Acorn story, but it's been heavily speculated about by Villa fans looking on their various sites. They're changing their kit, but haven't released any official images or details of it yet.