September 21, 2019, 10:17:02 AM

Poll

What do fans really think of Steven Gerrard?

'Greedy Capitalist pig'  (Quote from Dude)
0 (0%)
LFC Legend
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 9061 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 07:03:26 PM »
Dude the question isnt a trick question. Its not is souness better than Gerrard or vice versa. Or was the 70's team better than Gerrard. It says is Gerrard a greedy capitalist pig as quoted by yourself or is he an LFC legend? 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »
Dude the question isnt a trick question. Its not is souness better than Gerrard or vice versa. Or was the 70's team better than Gerrard. It says is Gerrard a greedy capitalist pig as quoted by yourself or is he an LFC legend?

and like i said previously, such a poll is childish and meaningless.

what's your next poll gonna be - Hitler, bad man or legend?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »
The other point is Souness was a tough B**tard....IMO that element has always been missing from Gerrard's game...hate to mention him, but look at Keane, borderline psychopath (top player!)....again IMO to win the league it's essential to master the art of winning ugly, Hollywood passes, Hollywood tackles and Hollywood goals is all very well for Steven Gerrard BUT to win the midfield, win the game, win the league sometimes THERE NEEDS TO BE A PLAN B, and it's not necessarily from Hollywood.....

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »
The other point is Souness was a tough B**tard....IMO that element has always been missing from Gerrard's game...hate to mention him, but look at Keane, borderline psychopath (top player!)....again IMO to win the league it's essential to master the art of winning ugly, Hollywood passes, Hollywood tackles and Hollywood goals is all very well for Steven Gerrard BUT to win the midfield, win the game, win the league sometimes THERE NEEDS TO BE A PLAN B, and it's not necessarily from Hollywood.....

yes, souness had many strings to his bow.

he was a tough bugger, but also could be subtle when necessary.

he was a very smart player......both tactically and also how he dealt with ongoing issues (off the ball, if necessary).

you have to win the right to play your game......and if that had to be ugly, or very defensive (away from home say in europe), then we could do that. 

imagine if souness was english and playing in 2010.   I hope the modern hero worship wouldn't have turned his head.....and made his perm fatter.     

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
It all adds up. Gerrard got your love child the sack. Thats why you hate him so much :-* :-* :-*

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »
and like i said previously, such a poll is childish and meaningless.

what's your next poll gonna be - Hitler, bad man or legend?

The reason i posted the poll is because i'm fed up with every time Gerrards names mentioned on this site you have a 'childish' dig at him. Why bother we know your view. He's our current club captain and whether you agree or not Liverpool football club today would be in a far worse place had he not been in our team for the past 10 years.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
And reference to Hitler. Apparently he was a big red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfH9vBatIPw

Clem

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 09:53:51 PM »
that is brilliant - end up like those ferret-shaggers at Leeds ;D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
Yeah, but he wasn't much of a "precious Stevie (swear word here!) G" fan! :P

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 11:08:02 PM »
Yeah, but he wasn't much of a "precious Stevie (swear word here!) G" fan! :P

:D :D

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29:10 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2LEeAjEMFU

THIS is the real mccoy.

Souness was the business.   

By a country mile, he was the best central Liverpool midfielder of all time. IMHO

Wow.....vintage Souness.  Loved the music to :)
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 11:35:53 PM »
Wow.....vintage Souness.  Loved the music to :)

brings back great memories, gurdeep.  A wonderful time.

@ kopite -   :D          I actually did a Hitler/liverpool video (based on that footage) a year or two back.

JohnnyH

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »
I think the Dude is doing a great disservice to Gerrard with some of his comments.  Gerrard has played many stunning weighted passes for Owen in the past and Torres now.  I was just looking at the Bolton game from a few season back last night and the ball into Torres was stunning.  However, Gerrard is also prone to the 100mph passes that the Dude refers to and then having a moan when the recipient can't control it (A goalkeeper would have done well to tip the pass over the bar!) 

I do think that Gerrard and Carra probably have a little too much power at the club and that concerns me on occasion, but having said that, I wouldn’t want them anywhere else so I suppose that can happen when someone is there that long. 

Souness was and is my favourite ever Liverpool player and I agree that he is our best ever midfielder.  Yes he was poor as manager and his major fork up with the S*n will always blight his standing here, but as a player he was utterly amazing.  But this doesn’t and shouldn’t take away what Gerrard has done.  I think it’ll only be when Gerrard packs it all in that people will really realize how special he was.  His performance and goal catalogue is quite astonishing.  I also think Gerrard suffers somewhat in the new media age, and I think Souness would have suffered just as much were he a player today.

Clem

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »
Good points JohnnyH.
Souness was a fantastic leader on the pitch too, especially in tough games away in Europe, or in very physical league games. One thing that does split these guys though (although I do think the comparison is a little inconclusive because they don't play in the same roles for their teams) is that Souness left us in 1984 and headed for Sampdoria.  There was something about a tax incentive for his wife's business interests if I remember correctly.  Whatever, he left us in the lurch and we under-performed the following season and won nothing. He went just the same as did Owen, McManaman and a few others - thinking about themselves first and LFC second.  Gerrard has been a lifelong fan and stuck with us when other players might have despaired - he deserves respect for that alone.  He's a cracking player on his day too.  They're both LFC legends, even if Gerrard never got to perform in as great a side.  Maybe his best comparison would be Liddle in a way (not exact same position either) because he carried the team a lot when he played too. Anyway its a moot point - neither were/are fit to lace the boots of the mighty Igor!!! :P

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
I also think Gerrard suffers somewhat in the new media age, and I think Souness would have suffered just as much were he a player today.

yes, I raised this same issue yesterday.

Souness, would have had his head turned, if he had been playing today.  What would save him, to a good extent, would be his nationality. 

If Graeme was english, the media would create statues to him.  And created a religion with him at it's center.

It takes a very strong person, mentally, to not be affected.