September 21, 2019, 08:43:44 PM

Poll

What do fans really think of Steven Gerrard?

'Greedy Capitalist pig'  (Quote from Dude)
0 (0%)
LFC Legend
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 9069 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Steven Gerrard
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:32:53 PM »
Me and Dude have argued on this subject for ages. What does everyone else think?

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
why are you incapable of discussing issues - as opposed to this endless hero worship.

discuss the thing - rather than hold some meaningless poll.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2LEeAjEMFU

THIS is the real mccoy.

Souness was the business.   

By a country mile, he was the best central Liverpool midfielder of all time. IMHO
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »
whys it meaningless? coz it makes you look stupid for questioning such an LFC legend? In my opinion he's in the clubs top 2 of best ever Liverpool players. If not top 2 he's at least in the top 5?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:51:28 PM »
whys it meaningless? coz it makes you look stupid for questioning such an LFC legend? In my opinion he's in the clubs top 2 of best ever Liverpool players. If not top 2 he's at least in the top 5?

it's meaningless hero worship........childish phone-in-show type fare.

if he wasn't english, he'd get 20 percent of the media acclaim.

what do you expect the answer to be.

what's your next poll - was hitler a bad man or a legend?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
why are you incapable of discussing issues - as opposed to this endless hero worship.

discuss the thing - rather than hold some meaningless poll.

I dont want to get between your differences on Gerrard. To give my opinion on the guy I think he has consistently dragged this club to levels that probably wouldn't have been achievable were he not at the club. From the time he made his debut as a talented headless chicken who cut people in two hes grown and become the heart beat of the club for a decade.

He could have played with any club in the world with the best players in the world but he chose (admittedly with a little controversy) to stay and continue to give LFC a sporting chance.

No footballer is worth worshiping but I would have no problems in acknowledging the contribution Gerrard has served Liverpool with over the years that makes him a Liverpool legend.

His form last year wasnt as it had been in the past but if anyone was allowed an off season he was. I still see him as our most consistent player and hes still playing with players not fit to lace his boots.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »
what do you expect the answer to be? all your information and views are online.  I'm lucky enough to live and breathe the club and our fans first hand. I talk to real fans who actually go to games and I dont live on my computer talking about a team 1000's of miles away. I've missed 5 homes in ten years and seen just how good Stevie is. As much as TV coverage can be good you cant assess a players work ethic by TV. A football pitch in real life isnt 32/37/42 inches!! 

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
p.s no ones questioning Souness's ability. From what i've seen of footage of him he was a great player that is unfairly tarnished by his managerial spell. What people forget is that without Souness, Fowler and McManaman might not have reached the heights they did. Fowler especially heaps praise on Souness for giving his chance

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 06:22:38 PM »
what do you expect the answer to be? all your information and views are online.  I'm lucky enough to live and breathe the club and our fans first hand. I talk to real fans who actually go to games and I dont live on my computer talking about a team 1000's of miles away. I've missed 5 homes in ten years and seen just how good Stevie is. As much as TV coverage can be good you cant assess a players work ethic by TV. A football pitch in real life isnt 32/37/42 inches!!

So go ahead and tell me - Hitler, bad man or legend?   The Beatles, tripe or legend? 

You've not seen Liverpool when they bossed england (and europe).  You came along ten minutes ago. 

Look at Man Utd - anyone gets big ideas about themelves, Fergie ships them out.  (just you watch rooney's career path in the next season or two).

Personal ego and teams, are not a good match.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
Stevie G.....certainly his contribution to the club has been massive.....BUT He's a cup player and we'll never win the league under his captaincy, he can't do the Istanbul thing away in the league to rubbish teams, so instead he clings (rather selfishly IMO) to the mr. Liverpool thing and we get a new manager when it doesn't work out!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
So whiskey nose wanted rid of Ronaldo then? His ego's bigger than Stam and Horse face put together.

You failing to see what we would have been like without Gerrard in the past 10 years baffles me.

It's pretty well known dude that when we dominated europe we had a team of class acts not just one

Clem

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 06:48:19 PM »
Gotta say though, in an all-time LFC cm Souness and Stevie G would be pretty formidable

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
So whiskey nose wanted rid of Ronaldo then? His ego's bigger than Stam and Horse face put together.

You failing to see what we would have been like without Gerrard in the past 10 years baffles me.

It's pretty well known dude that when we dominated europe we had a team of class acts not just one

fergie sanctioned ronaldo's sale........fergie sanctioned beckham's sale..............fergie sanctioned stam's sale...............and wait and see, but there is a fair chance he rooney will be out on his ear in one of the next few transfer windows too.   You get too big for your boots, or cross him....and Fergie cuts you out.  He is a most unforgiving bugger.

when we dominated europe, we didn't have this endless hero worshop of an individual.

Indeed Bob Paisley pointedly refused, in interviews after games, to talk at any length about individuals.  It's a team game.  The TEAM is everything.

The media built Gerrard into something that he wasn't........mainly because he was english.

Do you think Clough or Paisley would put up with his gifting of possession to the opposition - time after time - with endless poor passes?  Do you think they'd put up with his lack of tactical discipline.  Or his 100MPH ''passes" 

Look at that Souness video......look at his properly weighted passes (do they look anything like gerrard's efforts?). 

Against Bruges at Wembley, in the european cup final, for our winner, Gerrard would probably have decapitated Dalglish (in trying to play him in for the goal). 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 07:00:44 PM »
He's a cup player and we'll never win the league under his captaincy, he can't do the Istanbul thing away in the league to rubbish teams, so instead he clings (rather selfishly IMO) to the mr. Liverpool thing and we get a new manager when it doesn't work out!

agreed, Ed.   

It's eventually always someone else's fault and they pay the price.

A top club needs a strong-willed manager, to keep any egos in check.