August 09, 2020, 03:43:08 PM

Poll

What do fans really think of Steven Gerrard?

'Greedy Capitalist pig'  (Quote from Dude)
0 (0%)
LFC Legend
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 11551 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 03:41:42 PM »
I dont think anyone on this forum follows England TBH

'We're not English, we are Scouse'

that's all very well - but the point still is that the england level failures too, make the much used excuse of "he doesn't have decent colleagues to play with" seem pretty lame.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
Englands failings would take days to list. The 'Golden Generation' tag was utter crap. They had 3 world class players. Gerrard, Rooney and Terry. Thats not a generation. Great teams that do well at finals except Greece, have class on the pitch and on the bench. Look at Spain and the depth theyve got. Hence they are successful. With England if Wayne 'GRANNY SHAGGER' Rooney gets injured or is out of form, theyve got Heskey or Bent to step in.

Anyway i refuse to talk England anymore. I've got a stinking hangover from last night and talking England is making it worse. 8)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
Englands failings would take days to list. The 'Golden Generation' tag was utter crap. They had 3 world class players. Gerrard, Rooney and Terry. Thats not a generation. Great teams that do well at finals except Greece, have class on the pitch and on the bench. Look at Spain and the depth theyve got. Hence they are successful. With England if Wayne 'GRANNY SHAGGER' Rooney gets injured or is out of form, theyve got Heskey or Bent to step in.

Anyway i refuse to talk England anymore. I've got a stinking hangover from last night and talking England is making it worse. 8)

teams like greece and denmark can win championships, and they don't have so-called world class superstars.

holland can get to the world cup final and didn't have many megastars in their outfit.  Rooney was p**s poor for england.....as was gerrard.

in the modern age, the media create these megastars.

personally, I like teams and how they function.

re alcohol - big festival here all week (panama)..........mucho alcohol consumed by masses.  I had a few....but necessary to work today.....mucho concrete.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2010, 06:34:34 PM »
Hmmmm...I'm not getting too carried away with the Gerrard Hat-trick (though I was blown away by Lucas's tackle, to set up the third!) I mean there's a huge difference between scoring in your own back yard, in the Europa league (for a player like Gerrard, it's probably the equivalent of another player doing well against the reserves!) and what he was capable of against Europe's elite 5 years ago!

I enjoyed the goals and loved the way he silenced the Napoli fans, but the bar is always going to be higher when it comes to Gerrard.....let's see if was a freakish turning back the years in a career that's on the wane or whether he can captain the side to victory against Chelsea on Sunday....

Clem

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
Come on chaps, poor guy needs a break - turns the game on its head with a class hat-trick and silenced the cut-throat peasants. Top night's work. He is a brilliant player and a real leader, we should reward his loyalty with some of our own and give him his dues now and again. Was startled at how much stick Carra was getting from the guys near me in the Kop - but then he was destroyed in the move for their goal. I thought Gerrard and Mereiles were starting to gel well too.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 01:21:44 AM »
(though I was blown away by Lucas's tackle, to set up the third!)

As was the player he took out with it. Good Lucas, prove 'em wrong, my son.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2010, 01:31:57 AM »
Lucas fancied it.

Thought their keeper tho was a big pussy for that first goal.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2010, 04:26:04 AM »
Lucas frustrates me  >:( I like him, but am always wondering if he can just add the one or two things to his game that would mean I didn't have to worry or have my doubts about him. Don't know if it will ever happen but I haven't given up hope...I think one of the things I'm waiting for is... Lucas receives the ball, turns faces forward, beats the first player to challenge him, takes another touch (maybe a bit of a dribble, draw another player to him to create space ahead of him) and then plays a killer pass (low on the ground) that releases an attacker in space and creates an opportunity....... currently, I think he's still a bit too static on the ball and the passing is too patient, conservative and to the feet of the player....

Clem

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2010, 08:35:50 AM »
Lucas frustrates me  >:( I like him, but am always wondering if he can just add the one or two things to his game that would mean I didn't have to worry or have my doubts about him. Don't know if it will ever happen but I haven't given up hope...I think one of the things I'm waiting for is... Lucas receives the ball, turns faces forward, beats the first player to challenge him, takes another touch (maybe a bit of a dribble, draw another player to him to create space ahead of him) and then plays a killer pass (low on the ground) that releases an attacker in space and creates an opportunity....... currently, I think he's still a bit too static on the ball and the passing is too patient, conservative and to the feet of the player....

well said Ed. Thing is, he has a big heart and tries and we like him for that. He's a true red in spirit. Problem is, he's slow footballer - he passes and he moves slowly, and like Poulson, the one thing that can't be done is make a slow player faster. Lucas needs to get his head up and start thinking about the bigger picture on the pitch, look for a pass rather than react to opponent's pressure or the first available red shirt to offer, otherwise his passing will remain ponderous and he will continue to anchor us. He came as a box-to-box cm, maybe Roy should give him a couple behind Torres and see what happens?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »
There is no questioning Lucas's commitment to the team and club.

But hes here now about 3 full seasons, hes had plenty of games and I think the fact that his ability is still being questioned says it all. Hes a great player to have as back up but unless theres a huge improvement in his game I think he will never be any better than 4th or 5th choice centre mid.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
re Lucas, I like the lad.

He has been through a culdron of abuse from some quarters in our fanbase and still was mentally strong enough to survive.

He needs more opportunity.  I'd play him further forward. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »
Play him in the position he played for Gremio and he'll be a different player. His (and any player's) ability to release the ball quickly (or not) will always be governed by the options his team mates give him and the quality of movement around him. May Lucas' apparent hesitancy in releasing the ball says as much about his team mates as it does him.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 11:26:05 AM »

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/why-stevie-s-our-best-ever

'Why Stevie's our best ever'

John Aldridge has thrown his support behind Jamie Carragher's claim that Steven Gerrard is Liverpool’s greatest player of all-time.

The former Reds striker feels the skipper's ability to turn high profile games on a regular basis stands him out above anybody - even the great Kenny Dalglish.

"It's been a typical kind of week for Steven Gerrard," said Aldridge.

"He led his side to a hugely influential victory at Bolton, came off the bench and scored a hat-trick against the fourth best team in Serie A, then produced another outstanding display against the league leaders.

"But then I wouldn't expect anything less from Stevie, because like Jamie Carragher I believe Steven Gerrard is the greatest player to have ever pulled on the red shirt.

"Now you'd expect Jamie to say that. He's Stevie's team-mate and pal after all.

"But I had the good fortune to play alongside the phenomenal Kenny Dalglish, and I believe Stevie has probably surpassed even King Kenny.

"People say that Stevie can't be considered the best of all time until he's won a league title.

"But he's inspired Liverpool to almost every other trophy - I'm thinking of his Istanbul heroics, his incredible FA Cup final display and his goals in League and UEFA Cup finals."

In recent years Gerrard has helped to terrorise defences playing in a role just behind Fernando Torres.

However, Aldridge reckons his display at the heart of the midfield against Chelsea illustrates that he can make an even greater impact when he starts in the centre of the park.

"He can help the team in a wide variety of positions, but for me the position where he is most effective is where he is now," said Aldo.

"I think Stevie can have the biggest influence on a match from central midfield.

"I particularly liked the way the team was set up against Chelsea on Sunday, with Dirk Kuyt in behind Torres.

"I'd also like to see Glen Johnson come back in on the right of midfield, similar to the way Spurs use Gareth Bale and Everton are currently usuing Seamus Coleman - a youngster who I think can be a great player for Ireland in the future.

"Lucas received plenty of praise for his performance on Sunday.

"If the Brazilian continues the way he played on Sunday he could go on to become a valuable squad player for us.

"But there's no doubt who has been the most valuable player for Liverpool Football Club over the last 12 years.

"For me, Steven Gerrard is the most influential player EVER to have played for The Reds."

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2010, 11:31:55 AM »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
wigan, what a midfield.  They nullified our superstar.