November 11, 2019, 10:16:16 PM

Author Topic: A team of Jonjo Shelveys  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
A team of Jonjo Shelveys
« on: November 02, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »
I've had to sacrifice nights out on the town to play for Liverpool, says Jonjo Shelvey

By Sportsmail Reporter  Last updated at 12:45 PM on 2nd November 2010

Liverpool  midfielder Jonjo Shelvey admits he has found it difficult not joining his friends for a night out on the town at weekends but insists it has all been worth it.

The 18-year-old moved from Anfield to Charlton last April and made his first Premier League appearance for Roy Hodgson's side as a substitute in the 2-1 win over Blackburn last month.

But Shelvey says he has had to 'sacrifice' a lot to become a Liverpool players although he does not resent it as he says it is an 'honour' pulling on the famous red shirt.

Speaking about his move from Charlton, he told LFC Weekly magazine: 'I realised that I needed to take myself out of an environment where I was comfortable and challenge myself.

'It’s all about maturing and I’m pretty sure that by maturing off the pitch by learning to live by myself, it can help me mature on the pitch as well.

'Of course, the lure of playing for Liverpool was a huge thing as well. Just being able to wear the training kit every day is an honour.

'When everybody you know is going out every Friday and Saturday night before matches, you’re indoors watching Match of the Day. There are times when you want to get out and join them. But I’ve always stayed in.

'It has been worth it in the end, though. I’m lucky. But I’ve also put myself in the best position to achieve something by making sacrifices.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1325873/Jonjo-Shelvey-Ive-sacrifice-nights-town-play-Liverpool.html

What a refreshing read. There's a lot of established players in this country that could do with following his example. I hope Roy gives him more chances as he deserves it with that sort of attitude. Roy himself would do well to appreciate which club he's at now like Jonjo appears to and start conducting himself accordingly.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

wittsy

Re: A team of Jonjo Shelveys
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »
He seems like a really good lad to be fair. He's showing alot of promise with his attitude on the pitch too.

He seems to love playing and hasn't shown any signs of nerves. He's missed a couple of chances but at 18 I don't mind that aslong as he's trying to get hold of the ball and score, the rest will come with experience. His passing isn't bad (not great but again when he gains a bit more experience he'll be better at knowing when to make the pass). He also made one cracking tackle in the latter stages of the game so he fights for the team.

The one thing that you have to remember that up till a couple months ago he was playing at a much lower level and had never played with "top" players like some kids who come through accademies and youth teams in the Prem yet doesn't seem bothered by it.

Would like him to have a good future with the club

Jas

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »
He seems a bit raw and naive at the moment, full of mistakes...but also has the confidence (fearlessness?) of youth and a lot of drive about him...I was delighted he got the nod against Napoli in the away leg! I think a lot depends now on how Roy bloods and coaches/guides the lad (presumably Stevie G will also give him some advice!)

Personally, I'd like to see Jon Jo Shelvey emerge and not a weak imitation of Gerrard. I reckon his timing is brilliant, though, arriving at the club when he has and there's certainly an opportunity there for him now to establish himself in the first team which he might not necessarily have gotten elsewhere!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:56:25 PM »
Agreed with all that its great to see Johnjo Shelvey get a run in the team. Thats what I hoped this Europa Cup would be all about, give young players like him a chance to shine.

He has done well up to now and hopefully he'll learn alot from the likes of Gerrard.

One thing that bothers me is the fact that Pacheco is constantly being overlooked. Anytime hes played hes probably looked the best youngster we have.

I hate to say it but I think if Pacheco was English he would be getting more of a chance by now.

wittsy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Agree with Pacheco, where is he and why is he not playing ??

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:24:26 AM »
I hate to say it but I think if Pacheco was English he would be getting more of a chance by now.

It's really hard not to have that feeling. Who knows what the manager's thinking where Pacheco's concerned. He's going the right way about losing him though.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.