December 13, 2019, 03:35:45 PM

Author Topic: The Silence is Deafening  (Read 8341 times)

anfieldr0ad

The Silence is Deafening
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:46 PM »
When will John Henry come out and tell the fans one way or another what his plans are.. I'm getting sick of not hearing anythiing from him.. He needs to let the fans know if he's going to back Roy or sack him, If we have any money to spend or we dont!
He is starting to really p**s me off, I dont think he knows what kind of club he owns, If he aint willing to spend the money needed then he may as well sell up and go!

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Silence is Deafening
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
Calm down, you'll give yourself a cardiac! I think you'll find Hodgson will go on Monday after the Utd game. Not much point getting rid yesterday or now with such an important game to come.

As for spending, no major signings have been made by PL sides yet with the exception of Man City so there's plenty of time. I have every faith in Mr Henry and so should you. As for selling up... silliest comment made so far this year!  ::)
Cheers,
Ray

PhilLFC

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
Its sad i think as i have nothing against Roy but i have always thought that he does not have the strategic mind like benitez did... he has to go and the question is who is the best man to replace him??? not king kenny i think as its been to long since he was in the game as manager... and if lfc go on and lose more games with kenny will every one treat kenny with the same contemp that they currently regard for rh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
Phil,

I too don't like calling for the sacking of a respectable man like Roy Hodgson but sadly, there's only the one door for them to exit a club and it's not the one named Retirement. But football is a ruthless business and he has failed for the most part to elicit good performances from most of the players.

the more I think about Kenny the more convinced I am that he will do a decent job. remember that whilst he hasn't managed for a long time he has sat in the stands at Anfield and watched many games and will have a good understanding of where the problems lie and how to eradicate them.

He has an awful lot to lose in terms of respect if he messes up so he must be confident he can turn things around. We just need that cruise ship back in port asap.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »
so kenny must be confident he can turn things around.

or after one last big pay day (to feather his pension pot).

he's not gonna pick up 70 or 80 grand a week, in any other line of work.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »
or after one last big pay day (to feather his pension pot).

he's not gonna pick up 70 or 80 grand a week, in any other line of work.
Why so cynical dude? He's taking a big risk picking up this poisoned chalice. Would you sell your soul to the devil for cash? If the answer is yes I'll send you a copy of that Liz Hurley DVD!
Cheers,
Ray

Jas_lfc

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »
Quote from: Boston Scouser
Every Sox fan was screaming absolute bloody murder about NESV a few weeks ago over their letting a couple of their free agents go elsewhere. It was tantamount to riots in the street and NESV said nothing. N.O.T.H.I.N.G

Forums and airwaves were full of nothing but angry complaints about how NESV were doing nothing, they needed to make moves but dithered too much and let the players go elsewhere, they didn't know what they were doing, and the fact that they were making no statements to the media proved all of those points.

3 days later. The Sox make one of the biggest free agent signings of the year for a player that suits their exact needs. 2 days after that - they make the next biggest free agent signing of the season for another player that should be lights out for them.

And not a single person in the media had a clue that it was going to happen.

NESV went from being incompetent, dithering and clueless to the biggest, shrewdest, canniest owners in baseball by splashing $300M on just 2 players in a matter of 4 days.

I'm not saying that this will be replicated here or that it would be soon, but they have a history of keeping very very quiet before making their big moves.

So I believe patience is the word.

anfieldr0ad

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:39:16 PM »
Jas_lfc  Lets hope you're right, Us Liverpool fans deserve alittle something for we have had nothing good happen to us for so long, we deserve to be challenging for all the highest honours every season! YNWA!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »

So I believe patience is the word.

Very much agreed, the piece from Boston Scouser says it all and to be honest further confirms for me why I think we have the right owners at the club.

They are the equivillant to the anti-hicks. They dont shoot their mouths off, their dont fight their wars in the media, they dont make us promises that they know they cant keep. For me the silence at the moment is golden. FSG know Roys not the man but they have shown patience and respect with the way they have dealt with Hodgson to date and to be honest it has been more in keeping with the Liverpool way of old than I have seen over the past 3 maybe 10 years. They will replace Hodgson when the time is right and realistically its going to be soon. Unfortunatley for the fans it means sucking it all up and wathcing Roy butcher the squad for another couple of games.

Ps I wouldnt be surprised of a win sunday. When the chips are down theres no easier place to go than Old Trafford in terms of the players getting motivated for the game. Play like we have away from home up to now and we will get murdered but I could see us winning. That wouldnt be down to Roy, but would just be a case of big players being motivated by big games.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 11:04:08 PM »
Ps I wouldnt be surprised of a win sunday. When the chips are down theres no easier place to go than Old Trafford in terms of the players getting motivated for the game.
Stranger things have happened Juan. I'm just looking at the 1-4 match back in 2009 and Utd had Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. And we still managed to beat them. One Utd fan held up a banner with "Rafa's cracking up". Same might apply to Roy now. It should be required viewing for the team ahead of Sunday.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »
Why so cynical dude? He's taking a big risk picking up this poisoned chalice. Would you sell your soul to the devil for cash? If the answer is yes I'll send you a copy of that Liz Hurley DVD!

liz hurley, yummi yummi!  :)

that's the thing tho, asi.......the football industry is full of people who sell their souls for cash.

the premiership is awash with money.....as a side note, I could not believe it, when I saw this week that veronin was on 90,000 per week at anfield!!!!!!  For goodness sake.

dalglish has never revitalised clubs - the two brief periods of success that he enjoyed, back in the late 80s and early 90s, were with two clubs who already had massive playing resources/success and/or massive money. 

he had no joy at newcastle or celtic......and has been out of management for a long long time.  Didn't he recommend barnes to celtic?  How ridiculous was that?  Didn't kenny walk out on liverpool, and then miracously recovered a few months later - in time to take a top-dollar post at blackburn.  And then kenny had the audacity, in his autobiography IIRC, to complain that liverpool never rang him, after his resignation (or else he would have returned to the post at anfield)

who else on planet earth would pay kenny 70 or 80,000 quid per week?   

and why would we employ him.  There is no logical football related reason, to employ him as boss. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
Dude, The DVD is Bedazzled I think. Worth a look. Liz on top form. Now back to serious matters...

I'd argue that Newcastle and Celtic weren't close to Kenny's heart. Same can't be said of LFC. He left after the 4-4 draw against Everton when he was close to an emotional collapse. He'd attended so many funerals post Hillsborough which had drained him. No-one thought of the effect it had on him and the players when they were attending as many as 3 funerals a day. I don't hold any grudges for him leaving when he did.

I admit it is a risk if he returned. Let's face it. It's all speculation anyway. The owners may well surprise us with a signing we never even thought about. But Kenny has watched a lot of home games and I believe that gives him an advantage over someone who hasn't seen much of the play. It's not as though it's pre-season. We need to hit the ground running with games next week and then the derby in 9 days. Maybe Carragher can fill him in with player details if needed.

Maybe a CE will be announced first next week and he will have some input into the decision. Would make sense. That decision must be due soon. We are rudderless without a CE with US owners. That must be recitified soonest and the manager decision can then follow.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline thisisanfield

• Just starting out
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
The fans made their noise, NESV stayed silent, Roy did the talking, Kenny wins.
Well done John Henry as Boston Scouse explained they let their actions do the talking. Let's continue to show patience with the new owners, it's going to take time to get the club turned around.
In my opinion, Silence is Golden.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 06:12:19 PM »
Dude, The DVD is Bedazzled I think. Worth a look. Liz on top form. Now back to serious matters...

I'd argue that Newcastle and Celtic weren't close to Kenny's heart. Same can't be said of LFC. He left after the 4-4 draw against Everton when he was close to an emotional collapse. He'd attended so many funerals post Hillsborough which had drained him. No-one thought of the effect it had on him and the players when they were attending as many as 3 funerals a day. I don't hold any grudges for him leaving when he did.

I admit it is a risk if he returned. Let's face it. It's all speculation anyway. The owners may well surprise us with a signing we never even thought about. But Kenny has watched a lot of home games and I believe that gives him an advantage over someone who hasn't seen much of the play. It's not as though it's pre-season. We need to hit the ground running with games next week and then the derby in 9 days. Maybe Carragher can fill him in with player details if needed.

Maybe a CE will be announced first next week and he will have some input into the decision. Would make sense. That decision must be due soon. We are rudderless without a CE with US owners. That must be recitified soonest and the manager decision can then follow.

thanks ASI, I must look out Bedazzled.  I have seen a few mins of it, years ago......IIRC she is the devil, dressed all in red.  Liz (in real life) is a classy bit of crumpet.  Very sexy.

I agree, we are rudderless without a CE.  Indeed, i am surprised that we have not got one in place by now.

Kenny's appointment today was not a major surprise.  The fans put the club's owners into a position, where they had no choice. 

It will be interesting to see what happens re both, what budget the owners give Kenny in January (admittedly Collini will have a large say in transfers); and any new CE appointment in the next few months. 

If Kenny is an outstanding success, over the next 4 months, it will be nigh impossible to sack him.  Tho what constitutes *success*, in the minds of kenny, the fans and the owners, is an entirely different matter.  Finishing mid-table may be seen by a few, including kenny, as success (steadying of the ship, sotospeak).

Kenny should always have a role at the club.   But I just hope that come May time, he is able to step aside, and not fall out with the club. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 06:17:38 PM »
The real question is can Liz Hurley play left back?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.