May 24, 2019, 04:45:38 PM

Author Topic: Kenny Dalglish - return of an Anfield Legend  (Read 21072 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Kenny Dalglish - return of an Anfield Legend
« on: January 08, 2011, 01:45:35 PM »
Part of me is hugely relieved Roy has left. It was always a promotion too far but he is a decent man and I wish him well.

I'm sure the players will get a big lift not so much from Kenny's return (many won't even know of his exploits) but from Roy's departure. A change of playing style will be difficult if not impossible to change in one game but in the weeks to come it will be fascinating to see how our style of football changes.

Things will move at lightning pace in the next 24 hours now that the legend has returned to Anfield. His first task is to select the team for tomorrow's game.

Here's the team I hope he picks...

Reina
Kelly Agger Skrtel Aurelio
        Lucas Meireles
Johnson Gerrard Babel
Torres

Hopefully reality won't be too different.  :D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Kenny Dalglish - return of an Anfield Legend
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »
Part of me is hugely relieved Roy has left. It was always a promotion too far but he is a decent man and I wish him well.

Nicely put ASI, some of the personal stuff that has been dished out is simply wrong. I just hope Kenny doesn't disappoint the internet warriors.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

DeepestL0NGROD

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »
I just hope Kenny doesn't disappoint the internet warriors.
Haha. It will be great to see Kenny in the dugout now though. The REAL Liverpool players should get a big boost playing for such a legend I would imagine.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »

I'm sure the players will get a big lift not so much from Kenny's return (many won't even know of his exploits) but from Roy's departure. A change of playing style will be difficult if not impossible to change in one game but in the weeks to come it will be fascinating to see how our style of football changes.

Things will move at lightning pace in the next 24 hours now that the legend has returned to Anfield. His first task is to select the team for tomorrow's game.

Here's the team I hope he picks...

Reina
Kelly Agger Skrtel Aurelio
        Lucas Meireles
Johnson Gerrard Babel
Torres

Hopefully reality won't be too different.  :D

Ive seen enough of Babel on the wing to know its a case of play him up front or dont play him at all. For me he doesnt cut it as a winger. My team would be slightly different but with the same set up.

Reina
Kelly Skrtel Agger  Aurelio

Johnson Mereiles Gerrard Maxi

Cole

Torres

That said Skrtel gets a place in the team only by the skin of his teeth. Its a very close call bewteen himself and Kryiakos. In fact I would probably put Kryiakos in that team simply for his aerial ability defending and attacking corners.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 04:56:39 PM »
Juan,

I could live with lineup too. I take your point about Babel but the fact remains he's young, strong and keen to prove a point more than the others perhaps.

The real problem is how to accommodate Meireles, Gerrard, Lucas and Cole/Maxi in midfield. The defence and attack more or less picks itself but midfield is key to controlling games. Let's see how close the maestro gets to our selections.  ;D

AnfieldRoad, I doubt Kenny will be issuing any of those before his first game. But if I was the manager I would be showing them the 1-4 match at OT to show them what's possible if you have the right mindset. And it remind Torres what he's capable of.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline thisisanfield

• Just starting out
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »
I'd keep Cole in there ahead of Maxi or Babbel. Cole should respond to Kenny, Maxi's effort in the last  games was awful, and Babbel well what can you say... not a bad sub, but rarely performs when he starts. Kelly should get the RB and love to see Johnson right side midfield. Can't wait now... yesterday I was dreading the game today I'm counting down to kick off. Come on Liverpool.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »
Lets hope the players get a bollocking..altho Roy was never good enough to manage Liverpool the players clearly didnt put any effort at all in for him.. they get paid to play no matter who the manager is they should aways give 100%..

That needs to be put up on the dressing room wall. They need to remember they play for the club and the fans.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
It's truly a sad day in this once great club's history. Not even under Souness did the Kop chant collectively for his removal. I'm not arguing against the decision to relieve Roy of his duties at Anfield, it's the way the "fans" went about it that appalls me. Already after 6 games the clouds were gathering despite having had the toughest fixture list I can remember. Less than 8 games into the season people were calling for his head, arguably the same people that could see nothing wrong in GH and/or Rafa despite being handed years and zillions to waste on mediocrity. The ghosts will remain, i.e., we'll still have a shitty squad (no thanks to you Rafa), we still have a shaky economy, we still have to sort the new stadium issue and we still have to find an identity to gather around. Anyone thinking those ghosts will have been exorcised by the sacking of Roy will live to regret it hugely.

I may not know a lot but I know this, this ain't the Liverpool, this. I can't help but feel ashamed to support this club today.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Kenny Dalglish - return of an Anfield Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
I can't help but feel ashamed to support this club today.

Guess you'll have your Utd top on then for tomorrows game.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »
It's truly a sad day in this once great club's history. Not even under Souness did the Kop chant collectively for his removal. I'm not arguing against the decision to relieve Roy of his duties at Anfield, it's the way the "fans" went about it that appalls me. Already after 6 games the clouds were gathering despite having had the toughest fixture list I can remember. Less than 8 games into the season people were calling for his head, arguably the same people that could see nothing wrong in GH and/or Rafa despite being handed years and zillions to waste on mediocrity. The ghosts will remain, i.e., we'll still have a s***ty squad (no thanks to you Rafa), we still have a shaky economy, we still have to sort the new stadium issue and we still have to find an identity to gather around. Anyone thinking those ghosts will have been exorcised by the sacking of Roy will live to regret it hugely.

I may not know a lot but I know this, this ain't the Liverpool, this. I can't help but feel ashamed to support this club today.

It's the combined effect of Moores tenure, 20 years without a title with hardly even a challenge worth it's name, Hicks and Gillett and then the appointment of a journeyman manager as the cherry on top. The squad's not as good as it should be for the money spent but not as bad as it suits some to have us believe. 

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »
It's the combined effect of Moores tenure, 20 years without a title with hardly even a challenge worth it's name, Hicks and Gillett and then the appointment of a journeyman manager as the cherry on top. The squad's not as good as it should be for the money spent but not as bad as it suits some to have us believe.

Wise words Tes.

As someone pointed out recently it was Roys team when we won and Rafas when we lost.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
I know I never pointed that out in any case.  Other than that I agree tes' post is spot on. I really think things went out of hand in 2003 when GH was trusted to go into the 2003/04 season although it was clear he didn't have it to take the club to the next level. In came Rafa who never really understood the PL although he was brilliant in Europe. But as a wise man once upon said the league is our bread and butter.

I feel for Roy in that he never got a fair chance. Before the end of September people was calling for his head that's, just like Phil Thompson said, unpredecented. Not even Souness (and he trully deserved to have his right-wing head called for) had to withstand such humiliating treatment. As I said above, we may have got rid of Roy but hardly of our problems. It'll be at least 5 years before we'll be in the top 4 again as Lawro said. That means we need to think new and ahead, plan for the long term and look beyond Reina, Gerrard, Torres, Kuit and Agger. That's what lies ahead. Worst of all is Kenny could have us relegated yet he'd get nothing but praise from the same people who succeeded in getting Roy disgracefully forced out of this club. Always give the manager a season. The trinity between manager, players and fans Shanks once spoke of is forever gone as far as this club's concerned. THAT's why I feel ashamed today.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
It's truly a sad day in this once great club's history. Not even under Souness did the Kop chant collectively for his removal. I'm not arguing against the decision to relieve Roy of his duties at Anfield, it's the way the "fans" went about it that appalls me. Already after 6 games the clouds were gathering despite having had the toughest fixture list I can remember. Less than 8 games into the season people were calling for his head, arguably the same people that could see nothing wrong in GH and/or Rafa despite being handed years and zillions to waste on mediocrity. The ghosts will remain, i.e., we'll still have a s***ty squad (no thanks to you Rafa), we still have a shaky economy, we still have to sort the new stadium issue and we still have to find an identity to gather around. Anyone thinking those ghosts will have been exorcised by the sacking of Roy will live to regret it hugely.

Hi Martin,

From day one the appointment of Hodgson stank. From the people who hired him, to his record in 35 years of management and of the players and tactics he employed.

It was obvious from the first few games that he was way out of his depth - way out. His extreme negative tactics away from home - something I know mate that you were critical of GH and Rafa of therefore you have to admit the same about Hodgson. His signings also did not help his case. Cole has been injury prone, Konchesky and Poulsen have been utter toilet and only Meireles can have a case of saying he has been a success.

Also the way Rafa went meant that any manager who was stupid enough to come in when G&H were at the helm was always going to be castigated by the fans, no matter what. Whilst many people including myself wanted Rafa out, it was because of the way he went that people would never readily accept someone like Hodgson as a replacement.

We don't have a shitty squad, what we need is a manager who can motivate and bring out the best in them and in more or less your words martin let them have that extra freedom on the pitch to be more emotive in showing their ability.

I do think our squad needs work done, but I refuse to belief it needs an overhaul.

Reina, Johnson, Kelly, Agger, Skrtel, Insua, Aurelio, Lucas, Meireles, Kuyt, Maxi, Cole, Gerrard and Torres is a decent squad, definitely. Added to that the youthful players like Shelvey, Wisdom, Siso, Pacheco and others then I think our squad is more than capable to competing with the big boys.

I do think that if we can supplement it with 7 top class players:-

1 Centre back
1 Full back
1 Central midfielder
2 wingers/widemen
2 Strikers

Then we would be set. I do think that in the summer the owners have to appoint the right man, someone with a freshness about them, can implement a system and will let the players play with freedom we can compete for a top 4 place. I would definitely be happy with a Low, Kloppe, Boas or someone of that ilk who has ideals in place and wants to implement them into our team.

Hodgson was way out of his depth, I was against his appointment in the summer and am happy he has left. You castigate Rafa for his negativity my friend but not Roy? just sayin........

I do think you are underrated the sqaud too Martin. Without a doubt the players have been playing below themselves and not playing for the shirt or Roy lately. People like Johnson and Torres in particular. But the King will not take any shed and will dish out fear to them and will command performances and if Johnson plays to his best he is the 3rd best right back in the league behind Ivanovic and Sagna and if Torres plays to his best then he is the joint best striker in the league along with Drogba.

A manager to get the best of these talented players is a manager we so desperately need, because the squad is decent imo.

DeepestL0NGROD

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »
I don't have any idea of how well he will do in this new managerial enviroment. Still, he should buy better than Roy.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 12:52:51 AM »
Edward, I hear what you say and I agree with some bits, others I don't. I never thought Roy was beyond criticism but the fact of the matter is I didn't get critical of GH until his 3rd year in charge or Rafa until his 4th season had passed. Asking for the manager's head after a handful of games because he doesn't have the flashy CV the modern fan think is a prerequisite to succeed is another thing.

As for his signings I don't think they were that much worse than either of GH and Rafa. Meireles is good enough whereas Konchesky (Traore/Josemi) and Paulsen (Biscan/Lucas) seems to be ordinary LFC signings judging by the influx to this club over the last decade. As for Cole, was he signed by Roy? Really? Obviously got that one wrong. He's been a huge disappointment nevertheless.

All in all we have a shitty squad. I know it hurts to hear but you gorra call things as they are. Out of a 25 men squad Reina, Agger, Johnson, Gerrard, Torres (barely), Kuijt and Meireles could make a case for a place in a title winning squad. The other 18 players wouldn't have a sniff att making any other top 10 squad in the PL. Together GH and Rafa must've signed almost 150 players but at the end of the day a mere handful cuts it. That's the main reason we're so far behind the top 5 teams today. We've spent hundreds of hundreds of millions for the past decade to make sure no mediocre players pass the English channes without signing for us. It really is that bad. Look at Skrtel, Look at Lucas, look at Maxi, just take a good and honest look and compare what we have with our rivals and you can't reach another conclusion that our squad is shitty.

About Roy's negative tacits. I don't know if it were that negative. Nothing in comparison with the ever so cautious GH and Rafa who's fear to lose a game always kept the team's development at bay. To be honest Roy's tactics may have been too negative for my liking, I just never got the time to make a fair and rational judgment.

But hey, people like you got what you wanted. Hope you're happy now. Hope results improve, because if they don't then you lot have to take responsibility for having made a disgrace of everything this club used to stand for. It's not beyond me that you one day will admit it wasn't worth it, tho I won't hold my breath.

ALWAYS give the new manager at least a season, ALWAYS!