September 21, 2019, 08:47:57 PM

Poll

Should this be Rafa's last season if we're no longer in with a chance of winning the league with 5 games to go?

No
13 (92.9%)
Yes
0 (0%)
I like the view from the fence
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Rafa's last season?  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Rafa's last season?
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »
It seems opinion is divided across the other forums, so I thought it would be interesting to see everybody's viewpoint.

Just for the record I voted no. I believe we need real patience. Look at Ferguson's record for his first 5 seasons, at a time when the playing field was so much more level, finance didn't play such a huge part, Bosman's and all the other rulings weren't there to complicate contract and transfer negotiations and the SKY inspired, instant success and gratification generation of fans, had yet to come along.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Edward

Re: Rafa's last season?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »
I certainly don't view it as Rafa's last season. The way he held it together last season under huge pressure was just as worthy of respect as anything he's done in footballing terms.

I do think that it is an important season for Rafa. I'm happy to wait 'til the end of the season though before I make a judgment.

One thing that I would like to see though is REAL evidence of the youth development. In other words are we signing young talent that can realistically make the transition to the first team. IMHO That's one of the reasons why Chelsea can swap managers in and out 'cos they don't have to worry about that.

I also think that WENGER is under far more pressure than Rafa this season.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »
I voted NO.   But with our dimwit owners, and their possible undermining of Rafa if things go pear-shaped during the season, it's hard to predict what would happen to Rafa.

But with United and Chelsea having money to burn, we have a very uneven playing field.  It is not fair to have our efforts compared to those two clubs. 

If Rafa had similar transfer budgets, then yes.....by all means, we could compare our relative performances. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

skippy

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
I too voted no. Rafa has withstood alot of problems with the turmoil of our ownership and the way the 2 chumps have conducted themselves but through it all he has been strong including defending the team. He clearly loves the club and the fans so I think he deserves our patience. I would like him to give abit more importance to the prem title instead of europe. I would prefer us to go out of europe and win the title or maybe win both  ;D ;D ;D

Kingjari

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »
NO.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:35:49 PM »
100% No so far, as it such be IMHO.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:11:10 PM »
Absolutely not!  ??? The quality of players he has brought in over the last 12 months alone will soon reap benefits. And he's honest enough to get rid if he thinks the player is not up to it. My only regret was his decision to release Crouchy who I thought was an excellent player but I accept he didn't fit into the strategic plan.

With SAF due to go in 2 years and Wenger likely to be offered the France job about the same time it only leaves big Phil as serious competition. I honestly feel we can overtake Arsenal this season and get close to Man U especially with Copperglow Ron being out until late Sept or so.

All in all a lot to feel confident about. ;D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:30:38 PM »
I'd give him two years tops to get his act sorted. 

And if it doesn't work out, hand the reigns to Stevie G.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:03 PM »

And if it doesn't work out, hand the reigns to Stevie G.

Who?

Edward

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:01:37 PM »
I love the idea! Player-manager, old skool!

wittsy

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:45:44 PM »
I'm 50/50. I think he'd love to stay but with the way the muppets are running the show I can't help thinking that one bad season and more hassle from them pair and he could cut his losses. I hope to god not but who knows.

Jas

PhilLFC

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
Rafa has not had it easy!! but then who does? These problems come with the territory, we now have a stronger team IMO and the transfer window is still open!! If we get Barry, then i think we will be up there with ManU, maybe not Chelsea as they always throw stupid money at every team in the land, for these idiots they basically buy the league!! 
I voted NO, without him we would go backwards, The only thing we have not won is the League, is there a team in the PL league with our record of winning things in the last 4 years??? Benitez IS the best Man for the job!!! ;D

Kingjari

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 12:11:37 PM »

And if it doesn't work out, hand the reigns to Stevie G. CARRA

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
I think Carra is still a bit immature.

We need someone who can hit the ground running.  Red runs through Stevie's veins and he wouldn't accept anything less than 110 percent.