September 19, 2019, 10:12:30 PM

Author Topic: Is there room for Alonso AND Barry?  (Read 5967 times)

SuperSkrtel

Re: Is there room for Alonso AND Barry?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 10:40:50 PM »
I thought Xabi looked the buisness again tonight sprayed some lovely passes around and won a couple of challenges, also Plessis looked like one for the future and with all the other quality players we have for cm Stevie, Monster and Lucas maybe Rafa see's Barry playing on the leftside otherwise i really cant understand why Rafa's going to all this trouble.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 03:14:23 AM »
It looks like the Barry deal is dead.   :(

Tony Barrett (on Friday night) after the Lazio game writes:

"Probably of greater significance, particularly on the day when the proposed signing of Gareth Barry suffered a setback which is likely to prove fatal..."

Only Chris Bascombe (in the NOTW) come Sunday, can save the day.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 09:59:16 AM »
The Times is reporting the deal looks off. H&G have allegedly refused a £12M interest-free loan from a millionaire LFC fan. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4488880.ece

With the deadline approaching for the financial committment on the stadium build I'm wondering if H&G are close to pulling out. Rafa seems to have used money from player sales for his purchases with nothing from the Yanks. Whatever happened to the £20M he was promised? ::)

Is this the beginning of the end? ???
Cheers,
Ray

skippy

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
The Times is reporting the deal looks off. H&G have allegedly refused a £12M interest-free loan from a millionaire LFC fan. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4488880.ece

With the deadline approaching for the financial committment on the stadium build I'm wondering if H&G are close to pulling out. Rafa seems to have used money from player sales for his purchases with nothing from the Yanks. Whatever happened to the £20M he was promised? ::)

Is this the beginning of the end? ???

Lets hope so.
Nice to see Liverpool FC and its owners are now a charity case with wealthy fans now offering to lend us money, so much for us being a "big club".

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »
are the yanks only coming to the conclusion NOW that the player is too old (and/or that they can't afford him).

Their decision to pull out at the last minute, after a long summer of chasing the lad, shows them for the classless indecisive duo that they are. 

It is embarrassing for Liverpool FC.  It also indicates that they don't trust the judgement of Rafa Benitez.  It also leaves the player himself in an awful position.

For goodness sake Hicks and Gillett, be more decisive.....buy the player/don't buy the player......build the stadium/don't build the stadium.....sell to DIC/don't sell to DIC.

Their indecisiveness and bickering is not disimmilar to Gordon Brown and New Labour. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

wittsy

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »

For goodness sake Hicks and Gillett, be more decisive.....buy the player/don't buy the player......build the stadium/don't build the stadium.....sell to DIC/don't sell to DIC.

Their indecisiveness and bickering is not disimmilar to Gordon Brown and New Labour. 

And look what they've done to the country in a similar time spell, at least we haven't fallen that far yet!! : )

I can only see one thing happening here, they will eventually sell up I'm convinced, maybe not now but maybe in the next 18 months or so, with no money what else can they do. 

But I have to say I just can't see this Barry deal happening now. I dare say he's started questioning the situation too, I think this may have been his last chance too he's no youngster.

Hopefully something will get sorted but from where the answers will come I can't see.

Jas

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
yes Jas, I agree.  It's looking very likely that we'll see the yanks having to look for other investors - either for a total or partial buy-out.

We're going to see them having to 'walk the walk' (as opposed to the much easier 'talking the talk') when they have to start building the new stadium.  My guess is that they will want to get that underway before looking to sell. 

On the transfer front - I wonder if they made Rafa promises re funds for this summer.   

skippy

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »
I can't help thinking that hicks and gg will do whatever it takes to avoid selling to DIC. In their minds its anyone except DIC.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »
I guess things will become clearer by the end of the year. Apparently they've given themselves until the end of the year to raise the stadium finance and the refinancing of the £350M, part of which is a credit facility, is due to be refinanced in January but with an option to extend the need to refinance up to July 2009. Roll on the day that only the football once again occupies our thoughts.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 03:43:16 PM »
one gets the feeling that it is always gonna be the same depressing story with this pair and the new stadium.

always scrummaging around getting peter to pay paul, etc.

it's all about money and the juggling of it.....with no real interest in the club, the fans or the employees.

I guess I am stupid for thinking it would be any other way.

skippy

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »
one gets the feeling that it is always gonna be the same depressing story with this pair and the new stadium.

always scrummaging around getting peter to pay paul, etc.

it's all about money and the juggling of it.....with no real interest in the club, the fans or the employees.

I guess I am stupid for thinking it would be any other way.

Yep as depressing as it sounds I think you are 100% correct dude.
Is it coincidence that as the new season dawns upon us the ownership speculation begins again with stories of Rafa being at loggerheads with the owners.

PhilLFC

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
Yep as depressing as it sounds I think you are 100% correct dude.
Is it coincidence that as the new season dawns upon us the ownership speculation begins again with stories of Rafa being at loggerheads with the owners.
I think we should get used to this merry-go-round at the begining , the middle and the end of the season...This will only stop when the owners have F**cked off

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
Also they've yet to sign the lease on Stanley Park. No biggie ATM because it can be normal for a lease like this not to be signed for 3 months after planning permission is granted as people can object and appeal against the planning permission for up to 3 months. Clock's ticking though.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.