September 26, 2017, 12:07:47 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 72413 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
Now thats the january transfer window is over I suppose its only a matter of time before we are being linked with players for summer 2011.

I will kick off with rumours of a player potentially looking to leave, Pepe Reina. This rumour seems to just keep cropping up, I dont necessarily believe it  and I have always been confident Reina would stay. But with the Spanish influence at the club dwindling and with Torres unexpected transfer to Chelsea for once I'm not sure how to read Reinas link to United.

Reinas one of my favourite players and I'd like to think that he can see whats being built at the club. But if he is going to start going down the Torres route and threatening to leave and flirting with rivals well then I think he too will quickly learn that no one is bigger than the club.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/877645/liverpool-goalkeeper-pepe-reina-coy-on-possible-man-utd-move?cc=5739
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:25:59 AM by Juan »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »
A couple of weeks ago i'd never think i would see us sell our star striker to a league rival...still can't see selling Reina to manure though...that really is a bridge to far...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
I have said it for some time - that I would not be surprised to see Reina leave in the summer.

What does surprise me however, is how they flagrantly disregard the notion that you do not join your club's key rivals. 

The way that people like Tevez and Torres (among others) abuse this principle, is galling.  They are true and simply, football mercenaries.  They go where there is rich pickings and glory to be had.

I would be aghast if Reina were to join United.

If this is what Spanish and South American footballers are all about, then we will have to look again at our recruitment policy.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:16:17 PM »
Nothing would surprise me anymore but I think if Reina is trying to engineer a move Liverpool need to take a stand.

Firstly they would have to make him hand in a transfer request although the way Torres didnt think twice about doing that I'm not sure Reina would either.

Secondly I would grant him a transfer but tell him under no uncertain terms it would be to a premier league rival. United would never let one of their top players sign for us, Heinze wasnt even one of their top players and they refused point blank to do business. We cant look like we are becoming a selling club or willing to strengthen a rival.

Hopefully this is tabloid fiction and I think whether Reina denies the story or not will tell alot.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
Unlike outfield players, keepers have a longer shelf life so hopefully he won't be in a rush. Give us a couple more years and then go. Also if we carry on playing the way we are and beating the top teams he would find it very hard to justify leaving. Especially if we are going to sign quality in the summer. 

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
Unlike outfield players, keepers have a longer shelf life so hopefully he won't be in a rush. Give us a couple more years and then go. Also if we carry on playing the way we are and beating the top teams he would find it very hard to justify leaving. Especially if we are going to sign quality in the summer.

If his comments prove to be true hes not doing himself any favours.

In his defence I'd say it cant be easy for him to see his Spanish compatriot and friend in Torres leave. Then going on international duty cant help the situation either. He probably has Torres in his ear telling him to leave along with Villa and co so its probably an unsettling time for him at the club. I know being paid the money they get paid things like that souldnt be a factor but I still think they are.

Hopefully as you say Kopite we continue in the same vein of form and Reina realises his future should be to remain here. How good would it be if Reina ended up with PL or CL medals playing for us and Torres never got to win one.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
But it's well known he's got a buy out clause probably around the 20 mill mark. So if any one triggers that we won't have a choice

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »
Reina should be careful what he wishes for...another player who wanted a similar move said this today...

"Because of its history, Liverpool is a bigger club (than Chelsea) but it's going through a difficult time." A quote from Fernando Torres, today, February 8:

Maybe he's angling for a way back already!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
He's back tracking a bit. I don't think he realised the back lash he would get. Alonso moved on and is still loved at anfield and I think he thought he'd be the same. No chance now nando, you've made your inflatable PLASTIC bed, now lie in it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
He's back tracking a bit. I don't think he realised the back lash he would get. Alonso moved on and is still loved at anfield and I think he thought he'd be the same. No chance now nando, you've made your inflatable PLASTIC bed, now lie in it.

exactly.

I have no problem with a departure being done the right way.

But Torres showed zero respect for the club.  He left mid-season, he left for one of our key premiership rivals.....and on top of that, his lack of professionalism in the past 18 months was scandalous.

A lack of class.  I think Chelsea will find themselves with another ego to deal with now.

They are welcome to him.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
But it's well known he's got a buy out clause probably around the 20 mill mark. So if any one triggers that we won't have a choice

When was this new contract signed? It wasn't in the six year deal he signed and he would have to signed a revised contract.

According to Tony Barrett.......................?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
I think it was added in the summer to keep him happy. Yeah Tony Barretts convinced that he's got one in his contract. He's spot on normally

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 01:12:38 AM »
So it's still the rumour that Purslow sorted this with both Pepe and 'the departed one'?

Seems strange he'd sign a 6 year deal just the Summer before, under the same circumstances (except we weren't 'officially' for sale) and then want a buyout clause inserted (if possible) latterly.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »
We're being linked with Bobby Mimms from Blackburn as a replacement goalkeeping coach for Mike Kelly.

Xavi Valero apparently left Inter when Rafa did. Maybe it would be an idea to get him back. Reina apparently was happy with him and even 'the departed one' praised him for his work with the strikers, talking to them about a goal keeper's perspective in order to help him improve his finishing.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »
I think kenny is going British by the looks of it so that would rule him out. It might be good to appease reina but I imagine he'll be waiting for benitez's next job