September 17, 2019, 05:21:47 AM

Author Topic: An Epic Swindle: 44 Months With A Pair Of Cowboys, by Brian Reade  (Read 7618 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: An Epic Swindle: 44 Months With A Pair Of Cowboys, by Brian Reade
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »
Moores' only previous business flopped like a lead balloon. He may have been a fan but he wasn't a businessman in any sense of the word and unfortunately for us was in the position to buy the shares when he did at a very reasonable rate.

Now if only someone like Richard Branson had had the foresight to ally his 'brand' to our's just as the Premier League was about to come into being.

Still, I think we've got good owners now, though the Mancs have a twenty year head start on us, and other teams have made up the time with an instant cash injection or as in Arsenal's case been able to use the 'London factor'.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
Having finally Ebayed myself a copy, I'm halfway through it and it really places our current position in perspective.
We may not challenge for the title this season but neither will we be battling to stay in existance.

Remember where we were 12 months ago and just enjoy whatever happens this season.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 11:50:31 PM »
Having finally Ebayed myself a copy, I'm halfway through it and it really places our current position in perspective.
We may not challenge for the title this season but neither will we be battling to stay in existance.

Remember where we were 12 months ago and just enjoy whatever happens this season.

Must pick up a copy. The position we are in now was a pipe dream this time last year. Who knows what the next 12/24 months could bring.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
Hi Tes,

How soon we forget eh? Here we are grumbling about losing a game 0-1 unluckily when 12 months ago we had a situation where the owners were attempting to sack members of the board and install their own candidate.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 11:18:13 PM »
Hi Tes,

How soon we forget eh? Here we are grumbling about losing a game 0-1 unluckily when 12 months ago we had a situation where the owners were attempting to sack members of the board and install their own candidate.

Exactly, ASI. If we'd been told 12 months ago that we'd be in this position now I doubt a single person would have believed it.

As for the Stoke game, I think we just need to accept that not everyday will be our day. On another day we'd have had a penalty, Luis would have converted his chance, Carra would have got a freekick or the penalty would have been missed, some of the blocks would have been deflected own goals etc.

Looking at one game in isolation will always distort the picture. We've made on obvious and tangible improvement since last season's Stoke game. We've got new players, who once they've gelled, will see us improve further I would imagine. Hopefully going forward, we will just be adding a couple of players per window instead of wholesale changes and we'll develop the consistancy and continuity of personnel which is a big factor in any successful team, as the inter-team understandings develop.

Also, it's good to see Commolli's latest interview where he outlines the fact that he helps indentify players with and alongside Dalglish, but the decision rests with Kenny and Commolli doesn't appear to have any problem with any of his suggested targets being knocked back by the manager. In fact he appears to be determined that only players that the manager wants will be signed.

It all feels more like the Liverpool we all once knew than at any time in the last 20 years.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »
A great interview here with Kenny where he spells out how the relationship Damien Comolli works and also his views on Craig Bellamy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/09/liverpool-kenny-dalglish-craig-bellamy

Interestingly, though I can't find it, I read that Bellamy not only accepted a reduced pay-off from City, but also took a pay cut to come back. It's good to see that it's not all about money with every footballer.

And he's also sent his golf clubs to Fulham.  ;D

Edit: I've found the bit about Bellamy: "Bellamy took a substantial pay cut and accepted a reduced compensation figure from Manchester City in order to force through a free transfer move to Anfield on deadline day last month." From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8753875/Liverpools-Kenny-Dalglish-delighted-with-Craig-Bellamys-second-coming.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:36:59 PM by Tes »

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 11:38:37 PM »
Hi Tes,

Totally agree about being grateful for our current position. I did see that Tony Pulis agreed that we should have had a penalty in the first half. Sort of vindicates Kenny there.

We're fortunate that so many players have gelled well into the team. Carroll is the exception but he'll get sorted out. I have to say I don't see him as a real LFC player with his attitude. he seems to lack that hunger so evident with Suarez.

And I think the way Damian and Kenny have worked together is brilliant. Kenny has the final decision which is the way it should be but so often these partnerships don't work so we should be grateful this one does.

Just need the Mancs to have a bad spell now. All good things come to he who waits. I'm waiting.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 11:46:58 PM »
We're re-laying the foundations nicely. It's evolution, not revolution and it's starting to feel like the old Liverpool, pre-Moores and Souness.
The owners have a healthy respect for Kenny and understand what he's doing at the club is more than simply about results and they seem to have understood what the club used to be about. Kenny has a healthy respect for the owners also. Everyone seems to understand their own role and appreciates the roles of others.

It will take some time but if the foundations aren't strong you've no hope. Build from the bottom and you build in strength and stabililty. Dalglish's legacy won't be in the trophy cabinet but all that is the club in the future.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
An Epic Swindle: 44 Months With A Pair Of Cowboys, by Brian Reade
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 06:11:16 AM »
Dalglish's legacy won't be in the trophy cabinet but all that is the club in the future.

Lovely quote Tes.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!