November 15, 2019, 11:55:07 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 117040 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #315 on: July 14, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »
Apparently Steve Staunton has been lined up for a coaching position at the club.

Maybe hes going to come out of retirement altogether and provide back up for the troubled left back slot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
Apparently Steve Staunton has been lined up for a coaching position at the club.

Maybe hes going to come out of retirement altogether and provide back up for the troubled left back slot.

:D

I was trying to think of the last time we had a top quality left back and we stopped having one around the time he left. The last few years have made JAR seem better than he was. Anyway, I always thought he was more suited to playing further forward. I don't include Aurelio as he doesn't appear often enough to count.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 16, 2011, 04:04:16 AM »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 16, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
I spat my beer out when I heard of the Staunton link.

Staunton was an embarrassment for Ireland and was sacked recently by Darlington.

He can barely string a coherent sentence together.....and has grand notions of grandeur.

FFS Kenny.  Are you brain-dead?  Get in someone with intelligence and who has been a success as a manager e.bluddy.g.  John Aldridge.

If the Staunton story is true, I give up.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 16, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »
I spat my beer out when I heard of the Staunton link.

Staunton was an embarrassment for Ireland and was sacked recently by Darlington.

He can barely string a coherent sentence together.....and has grand notions of grandeur.

FFS Kenny.  Are you brain-dead?  Get in someone with intelligence and who has been a success as a manager e.bluddy.g.  John Aldridge.

If the Staunton story is true, I give up.

Has it been confirmed yet by the club?  It's definately an odd one. As you say he's hardly in the Ray Harford, Brian Kidd mould, top coach just not suited to being a manager. He has a rather long failure trail.
Plus, I didn't know we were in need of another coach at any level within the club.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
nothing confirmed by the club, Tes.

It all comes from Stan pretending to be intelligent, with a wink and a nod to the media the other day.  He thinks he is someone in the game.  Big ideas about himself.

Speaking at a press conference in his native Dundalk yesterday to promote a Dundalk Legends v Liverpool Legends fundraising game at Oriel Park on July 23rd, the 102 time capped former defender said a deal was all but agreed for him take up a “football position” at a top-flight outfit.

That led to suggestions that a return to his former club Liverpool was on the cards. Staunton remained tight-lipped about his destination although he did say the job was with a club that is currently on its pre-season tour. Liverpool are currently on a jaunt of Asia.

“I can’t speak to the club at the minute because they are on their pre-season tour,” said Staunton. “When they come back, we will discuss it further but it’s more or less done and dusted. Since the Ireland job, I’ve been involved at the lower levels. It would be nice to get back into the Premiership.”

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 16, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »
Hopefully 2+2 is equalling 5 in this case. Dalglish doesn't strike me as one just to hand out positions on a whim.

With a bit of luck it was nothing more than self promotion on Staunton's part.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
Today we are being linked with a 12 m bid for ryan shawcross. Out of all the young english defenders like cahill, dann, i would be mostly in favour of going for shawcross. We would never get him for 12 million but at 23 i think he could be our best english option after losing out on phil jones. Captain at stoke i think he would be a huge addition and would go a long way to solving our centre back issue. Himself and a left back and i think we could have a chance of a very good season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »
Scaffold planks and a nail gun should be our next purchase so we can board up our goal.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 02, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
Jovanovic set for Reds exit

August 2, 2011 7:37pm

Anderlecht have announced that an agreement has been reached with Liverpool to bring in Milan Jovanovic.

Jovanovic, 30, will sign a two-year deal if he successfully passes his medical on Thursday.

Jovanovic was signed by Rafa Benitez from Standard Liege on a lucrative deal following his free transfer.

But the Serbia attacker never really made an impact at Anfield and he looks to be on his way out as Kenny Dalglish continues to mould his new-look team.

"After long but successful negotiations with Liverpool, we have reached an agreement to sign Jovanovic for Anderlecht," Anderlecht spokesman David Steegen told Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws.

"The player is a major addition for the current squad and next to his talent he will also offer much-needed experience.'

General manager Herman Van Holsbeeck travelled personally to Liverpool to finish the negotiations.

He said: "The board is extremely happy we have completed the negotiations."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7077807,00.html

So I wonder what Anderlecht had to negotiate with us about. I'll bet we've had to pretty much pay up the remainder of his contract in order to get him to accept a reduction in his contracted salary at Anderlecht. A contract which pretty much covers him for the same period we will also have paid him up for.

So simply signing for Anderlecht in order to play first team football, make his family happy as his wife's preference was to live in Belgium again and ensure his place in Serbia's squad for the Euros next Summer, wasn't all worth a reduction in salary. The modern foot£aller.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 03, 2011, 05:28:10 AM »

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 04, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
Both Cahill and Enrique shouldn't be overly pricey as they've both only got 11 months left on their contracts. With Skrtel missing the start of the season, we really do need to (preferably) bring in a top class centre half.

If we bring in Cahill he needs to keep the ball on the floor more than he does.

If another club can be found for Soto maybe Upson on a year's contract could be a stop gap if we can't get Cahill, Dann or any other top class centre half. Upson's on a free, so minimal signing on fee and and a sensible salary could allow us to look again next Summer, though the preference would be to bring one in this Summer and then another top class centre half next Summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 04, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
Jovanovic set for Reds exit

August 2, 2011 7:37pm

Anderlecht have announced that an agreement has been reached with Liverpool to bring in Milan Jovanovic.

Jovanovic, 30, will sign a two-year deal if he successfully passes his medical on Thursday.

Jovanovic was signed by Rafa Benitez from Standard Liege on a lucrative deal following his free transfer.

But the Serbia attacker never really made an impact at Anfield and he looks to be on his way out as Kenny Dalglish continues to mould his new-look team.

"After long but successful negotiations with Liverpool, we have reached an agreement to sign Jovanovic for Anderlecht," Anderlecht spokesman David Steegen told Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws.

"The player is a major addition for the current squad and next to his talent he will also offer much-needed experience.'

General manager Herman Van Holsbeeck travelled personally to Liverpool to finish the negotiations.

He said: "The board is extremely happy we have completed the negotiations."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7077807,00.html

So I wonder what Anderlecht had to negotiate with us about. I'll bet we've had to pretty much pay up the remainder of his contract in order to get him to accept a reduction in his contracted salary at Anderlecht. A contract which pretty much covers him for the same period we will also have paid him up for.

So simply signing for Anderlecht in order to play first team football, make his family happy as his wife's preference was to live in Belgium again and ensure his place in Serbia's squad for the Euros next Summer, wasn't all worth a reduction in salary. The modern foot£aller.

Still waiting for this deal to be announced. Cant wait to see the club get him off our wage bill.  Read something somewhere about Jovanovic that basically suggested  hes not a bad player but he was just the wrong player for the wrong club at the wrong time. The guy obviously had something about him if there were plenty of clubs chasing him, rafa wanted him  and the fact he performed admirably at the world cup. Looking at a few more of last seasons freebies Joe cole, Chamak (spelling) of Arsenal again suggest that if a players on a free theres a good reason for it.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 04, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »
Owen Coyle is suggesting that Liverpools link to Cahill is just mischievious reporting. I just cant see us going for Cahill to be honest.

For two players apparently in demand Cahill and Dann nobody seems to be actually making a move. It would make you wonder if the so called clubs linked are actually genuinely interested.

Enrique seems to be a done deal although our interest has dragged on this long again I wont be convinced until hes signed up. Havent watched too much of Enrique so I cant judge but at this stage to sign any left back would only stand to strengthen us.

Barton is also being linked. If theres any truth in that rumour I'll start to think Kenny could be losing it unless he planned to use Barton on the right. He will be after Scott Parker next.

Enrique and a quality young centre back could raise my expectations of a possible title challenge although the bedding in period for players will probably prevent that.