October 16, 2019, 03:41:59 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 104746 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
we've never really replaced joe corrigan.

:-X

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
we've never really replaced joe corrigan.

:-X

True. The amount of food that is wasted in the canteen now is truly shocking.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
True. The amount of food that is wasted in the canteen now is truly shocking.

Stop, you have me lauging to myself like a maniac.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
Does anyone have any opinions as to where Charlie Adam will end up and for how much?

Also now that we seem to have the forwards sorted what other positions need addressing?

Left wing, right wing, central defence potentially x 2 and a left back. What do we do if Geln Johnson keeps up this form at left back? It would be interesting to know if he would be willing to stay there or whther he just feels as its a temporary role. He aint getting the right back slot. Hopefully we wont need a keeper.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »
I think we'll have another go in the Summer. He'll only have a year left on his contract and Blackpool will know their situation by then.

The centre half situation definately needs sorting and despite Johnson's recent form, I can't see him being a long term solution and neither will he want to risk his England place.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »
I think we'll have another go in the Summer. He'll only have a year left on his contract and Blackpool will know their situation by then.

The centre half situation definately needs sorting and despite Johnson's recent form, I can't see him being a long term solution and neither will he want to risk his England place.

i'd give johnston a go on the right side of midfield....and if that does not work out, ship him out.

I just don't rate him.  His final product is never good enough.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
I've thought Johnson has looked good on the left. The new formation has helped because he hasn't had to do so much defending!!!

With regards to Adam there'll be a lot of interest in the summer. A move to us would mean he wouldnt have to move far. But I think if kenny sticks to this new formation he'd fit in perfect. With 3 centre backs there's no real need for a mascherano type

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
Think Johnson could be a cracking right winger. So many people have said the same thing I would think kenny would have thought about it. Him and Kelly inter changing down the right could be lethal. Maybe kenny will try it next season if we can find a left back. I like aurelio when he's fit but he's only able to play a handful of games a season

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:24 AM »
Think Johnson could be a cracking right winger. So many people have said the same thing I would think kenny would have thought about it. Him and Kelly inter changing down the right could be lethal. Maybe kenny will try it next season if we can find a left back. I like aurelio when he's fit but he's only able to play a handful of games a season

It's a shame Aurelio's made of tissue paper because he's definately good enough. Making left back a priority could also save us having to buy a wide right player, at least until we see if Glenn Johnson can provide a solution there.

Mavinga should then also be back off loan for next season and used as cover and Jack Robinson will also be a year older.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »
Talking of Glenn Johnson:

Liverpool FC’s Glen Johnson happy to continue in left-back role

by David Prentice  Feb 10 2011

GLEN JOHNSON says he is happy to carry on playing left-back as long as Kenny Dalglish needs him to.

An England international right-back, Johnson cost £16m when he was recruited from Chelsea in a bid to increase Liverpool’s penetration down the right flank.

But after missing Kenny Dalglish’s return match as Liverpool manager at Old Trafford to be at the birth of his son, he made a surprise switch to left-back and has stayed there ever since.

“There were no real discussions about it. Kenny said I was playing left-back and that was just fine with me,” explained Johnson.

“The team isn’t about me so if I’m asked to do a job elsewhere, whether it be in the short or long-term, I’m happy to give it my best.

“Everyone knows I’m a right-back by trade, but if the team is winning and I’m in the team it doesn’t bother me where I play.”

Johnson says he is happy to play anywhere – even in a more advanced right midfield role.

He added: “Like with left-back, if the manager asked me to play there, I’d do it, no question – without any complaints.

“I played in a more advanced role quite a few times at Chelsea. I remember when we beat Manchester United at Old Trafford to practically clinch the title and I enjoyed it out there (as a right midfielder).

“I think all of the Liverpool squad has the same attitude now – do your best at whatever you’re asked to do. It’s not about individuals here.”

While Johnson has been operating effectively at left-back, Martin Kelly has stepped into Johnson’s old right back role and been enormously impressive.

“Since coming in against Manchester United, he (Kelly) has been very consistent in everything he has done and acted very maturely about the place,” Johnson added.

“He deserves to be where he is at the moment and it can only be for the good of the club if it is producing its own again.

“Fans like to see local boys come through and when they do, it gives everyone a lift.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/02/10/liverpool-fc-s-glen-johnson-happy-to-continue-in-left-back-role-92534-28146324/

His whole attitude seems to have changed which is nice to see.

Good to see him get an assist last night.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 11:53:36 AM »
Liverpool sizing up England starlets

Published 23:00 09/02/11 By Alan Nixon - EXCLUSIVE  ::)

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish made a secret dash to watch young England stars Connor Wickham and Wilfried Zaha as he plans for the Reds' future.

Dalglish was the biggest VIP in the small crowd at Chesterfield when the pair formed the attack for England Under-19s against their German counterparts as he updated his files on the youngsters.

The Kop chief's clear interest in making long-term signings adds weight to the rumblings that Liverpool's owners are ready to turn Dalglish's current caretaker role into a full-time return to the dugout.

Ipswich starlet Wickham scored a stunning goal against Sheffield United last weekend and Dalglish wanted to see how he shaped up in his own age group.

Crystal Palace kid Zaha has also been on Liverpool’s radar for months but has been in and out of the Championship side's first XI in his debut season.

Neither Wickham and Zaha managed to score against Germany, but Dalglish is on their trail as he looks for players to understudy his new £57million attack of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have made clear they will only be prepared to do business over keeper Pepe Reina when offers trigger the £20million release clause in his contract.

After the departure of his close friend and fellow countryman Fernando Torres, Spanish international Reina has been strongly linked with both Manchester United and Arsenal in potential summer deals.

Just like with Torres, Liverpool will slap a not-for-sale sign on the player despite knowing there is a point at which they must allow him to speak to other clubs.

Reina signed a new five-year contract less than a year ago, but insisted that a release clause be inserted in the agreement.

Liverpool are happy with their keeper, and happy with his commitment to the team, despite what has seemed like almost constant speculation over his future since the summer.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Dalglish-watches-Ipswichs-Connor-Wickham-and-Palaces-Wilfried-Zaha-on-England-U19-duty-article694265.html

Equally he could have been watching the Liverpool players that were playing for the U-19s.

As for Pepe, it's Alan Nixon.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »
Which player(s) would everyone like to see us try and get in the summer?

Personally I'd like us to rekindle our interest in Adam and Ashley Young. Adam for his range of passing and young for his pace and crossing ability for Carroll.  They'd both be reasonably priced and could add a different dimension to the team.

We're desperate for a left back, but no one springs to mind.

N'zogbia's probably available in the summer but I suppose it all depends on what formation kenny wants to play. 

I've seen a few rumours m'vila the French lad could be an option we're looking at.  Saw him against brazil and he looks like a good prospect

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 01:01:36 AM »
methinks that during Kenny's time at Newcastle, he caught Keegan-it-is.

he may well buy Ashley Young and Adams, in the summer (purchases that I would support).

and we may well end up playing 3-2-5 next season.

defenders, who needs them.......defence was always overrated anyroads.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 08:44:53 PM »
Lol Dude you reckon Kenny is looking to play total football. If we could sign another 3 top strikers in the summer we'll have defences worried. I can see next season PL table now, Goals Socred 342, Goals Conceded 298.

I would like to see a a mix of creativity and solidity in the summer transfers. On the solidity  side I think we need another top centre back and maybe someone to protect the back 4 ( preferably someone who can play a bit aswell).

On the creative side we need a left and possibly right winger (if Johnson isnt going to be played out there). 

Adam and Young would definitely be a very good start.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
Any truth in the rumours we've tied up the bosman signing of Sylvian Marveaux?