October 17, 2019, 04:23:51 AM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 105136 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2011, 11:24:33 PM »
with one year left to run, and bought at just over 6 million initially, I would like to pay 2 or 3 million.

With interest from AC Milan it's bound to push the price up dude but generally I agree that with only 1 year remaining on his contract you don't over pay. I shall watch televised Newcastle games more closely for the rest of the season.

We seem to have far better judges of what makes a good player than under Rafa even though I liked him a lot. His judgement wasn't always top notch.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 11:36:08 PM »
Paka was Rafa's main man re spotting talent, ASI.  IMHO

Losing Paka, was like Samson losing his hair.

Like Clough without Taylor.

Like Laurel without Hardy.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 11:40:47 PM »
Or Cameron without Clegg! Hmmm, perhaps not.  :D

Bob Paisley must have had some good scouts. Life then was probably a lot simpler not having to tour all around Europe. Just an annual trip to Crewe to see Dario and up to Newcastle for the best Georgies.

Time for bed.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »
excatly.

and international scouting trips involved heading up to scotland or over on the ferry to Ireland. 

geoff twentyman - what a scout. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »
excatly.

and international scouting trips involved heading up to scotland or over on the ferry to Ireland. 

geoff twentyman - what a scout. 

Dude, what a memory you have. I remember Geoff now but couldn't have recalled it.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
Dude, what a memory you have. I remember Geoff now but couldn't have recalled it.

he's well worth googling, ASI.   He made some great finds....and often mingled quietly in stadiums - mindful of not giving his presence away.

my school friend - fellow striker beside me in our team in Ireland - got a trial for liverpool in the late 70s.  I might have had a chance of a trial too - but was dead slow over the first 5 yards - like a donkey running in treacle. 

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2011, 10:12:31 PM »
When I get a chance I'll google him Dude. Work is pretty demanding at present. Everything was low key in those halycon days. Before Sky came in and the world changed forever.

Your next sentence sounded like words from Yozza Hughes in Boys From The Black Stuff. "Gizza job. Go on, giz one. I could have been a footballer but I had a paper round."

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Classic writing from Alan Bleasdale.

Pity you couldn't make it as a footballer but you wouldn't have made pots of money back then would you? You're far better off in your current job in the sunny climes of LA. And your knees are probably still in decent condition. Not like poor Tommy Smith's.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:13:40 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:42 PM »
 ;D

Gizza job, Bob.  Boys form the blackstuff, awesome series.  I downloaded it on bit torrent a few months back.  Must watch it.   Aye, if it wasn't for my lack of speed, and lack of technical ability, I could have been somebody.   :D   

Still, I enjoyed my football locally.  And played in a very successful 5-a-side team locally, from the 90s onwards.

I recall another school friend, back then in 77, going off to Wembley for the fa cup final....May 77, man utd v liverpool.  The FA Cup final was big back then.....not like nowadays.   I told him to bring me back a match program......I think it cost one pound (or was it 2).

Great days....lots of sunshine in my memories.

here is a twentyman article - alan kennedy recalls how geoff found him.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kennedy-s-debt-to-renowned-chief-scout-twentyman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »
Thanks for the link dude. A fine tribute to a loyal club servant. How times change. Can you imagine Damian C wearing a false moustach and beard at another club so he wouldn't be recognised?  :D

77 Final was the day my loathing of Utd began. That fluked second goal did it for me. Bad bad day.  >:(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the link dude. A fine tribute to a loyal club servant. How times change. Can you imagine Damian C wearing a false moustach and beard at another club so he wouldn't be recognised?  :D

77 Final was the day my loathing of Utd began. That fluked second goal did it for me. Bad bad day.  >:(

agreed, ASI

bright summer day - and they fluked that awful winner.....via greenhoff and macari....grrrr

tho it probably made the following wednesday all the sweeter (the european cup win).

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:19:31 AM by the dude abides »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2011, 12:44:42 AM »
Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout by Simon Hughes is a brilliant read.

We lost Pako, lost chief scout Frank MacParland to Bolton and gained Eduardo Macia as his replacement. Those things all combined created the disasters that followed.

Thankfully MacParland's now back as Academy director. Macia's gone but we still need to reinforce the scouting operation. We can't just rely on Commolli.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2011, 08:49:06 PM »
Poulsen poised to end miserable Liverpool stay with return to Copenhagen

Wednesday, April 20

Liverpool flop Christian Poulsen is on the verge of ending his Merseyside misery with a return to former club FC Copenhagen.
The midfielder, signed by Roy Hodgson during his disastrous six month reign at the start of the season, has made just nine league starts for the club after costing £4.5m from Juventus in the summer.
The Denmark international was made a scapegoat for Liverpool's poor start to the season after failing to fill the gap left by Javier Mascherano as the club's deep-lying central midfielder.
Reports in the Danish press claim the 31-year-old has already signed a one-year deal with the Champions League side with a further year on offer if the former Schalke man impresses the Superliga champions.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/6718/4/poulsen-poised-end-miserable-liverpool-stay-return-copenhagen

Hopefully there's a grain of truth in this report and we see the back of Poulsen this Summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2011, 08:59:34 PM »
Liverpool considering move for Birmingham defender Roger Johnson

By Neil Moxley 20th April 2011

Roger Johnson has emerged as a target for Liverpool after director of football Damien Comolli ran the rule over Birmingham City's centre back.

Kenny Dalglish is in the market for a defender this summer and Johnson, who was recently called up to the provisional England squad, is nearing the end of a second impressive season at St Andrew's.

The 27-year-old, who has only one year remaining on his contract after signing from Cardiff for £5million in 2009, is refusing to talk about contracts until Birmingham's Barclays Premier League future is secured. Coincidentally, City face Liverpool on Saturday.

Meanwhile, coach Steve Clarke is ready to commit his future to Liverpool in the latest hint that Dalglish will soon be permanently appointed manager.

The club are expected to offer Clarke a three-year deal at the end of the season to continue as Dalglish's assistant. Talks between Fenway Sports Group and the pair are ongoing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1378650/Liverpool-considering-Birmingham-defender-Roger-Johnson.html

He's probably not the sort of signing to set the pulse racing in many fans but imagine how people would have kicked off back in 1999, had the internet been what it is today, when we were linked with some no-name Finnish centre half, playing in 'it's only the Dutch league' for some strange named team that lots of people wouldn't have even heard of. 

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »
SOUNDS LIKE REINA IS STAYING AT LIVERPOOL
Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has given his strongest indication that he will stay at Anfield next season. The Spaniard's future on Merseyside has been the subject of conjecture after an indifferent campaign for the Reds.

Reina had previously hinted he could be forced to leave the club if they were not competing for honours on a consistent basis.

However, Reina has been encouraged by the progress of the side under Kenny Dalglish and believes the club's American owners Fenway Sports Group will make money available to bolster the squad this summer.

"I am happy, calm and comfortable here," Reina told the Spanish radio station Cadena Cope. "[I am] looking towards the future which I reckon will bring a lot of happiness and hopefully the new project with the new American owners [Fenway Sports Group] will be a convincing one.

"Obviously [Rafael] Benítez brought me here but that doesn't mean that I'm unhappy with [Kenny] Dalglish, quite the opposite. I think he's the ideal man for Liverpool at this moment.

"It's my understanding, and based on what I've gathered from the people here, that we will be bringing in some important players, continuing to grow and hopefully in one or two years we will be in the place that Liverpool deserves to be, which is fighting for titles."

Reina has been mentioned as a possible target for Liverpool's bitter rivals Manchester United, but the former Barcelona and Villarreal keeper insists he has no plans to move to Old Trafford.

"I am not going to Manchester, that is not my intention," added Reina. "I don't know if I am a candidate for them; I am sure that they have evaluated a lot of goalkeepers, not just [David] De Gea or Reina."

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2011, 05:47:45 AM »
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is considering a £5million move for Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton.

Dalglish has long followed the 28-year-old's progress and, while he recognises such a move would be controversial, he believes Barton's ability merits serious consideration.

Dalglish wants to bring in around six signings this summer, with Blackburn's Phil Jones, Blackpool's Charlie Adam, Aston Villa's Ashley Young and Stewart Downing and Ipswich's Connor Wickham among his targets.

He is keen to return a strong British identity to the squad and sees room for Barton's feisty style.

The Liverpudlian has not always endeared himself to the Anfield faithful. He was sent off for a lunge at Xabi Alonso on his last visit and clashed with Fernando Torres during Newcastle's 3-1 home victory over Liverpool last December.

But Dalglish feels Barton could add an edge to his side and help bring the best out of £35m record signing Andy Carroll.

Barton, who will have 12 months left on his contract at St James' Park by the summer, set up eight goals for the England striker in his time at Newcastle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1381297/Liverpool-boss-Kenny-Dalglish-mulls-5m-Newcastle-bad-boy-Joey-Barton.html

Can't see this one happening...