October 21, 2019, 10:02:05 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 107809 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2011, 11:23:13 PM »
agreed, let all our lads get behind the TEAM (and not themselves).

Let's hope this new poster, that signed up today, is the next Dude Abides.  That's what good football forums do - they replace their best posters.  Anfield Road needs a new Dude Abides and it will need a new Tes too.

how does that sound to you?  On the scale of cringeworthyness, is must be a nine or ten?

I'm afraid it's Gerrard 1-0 Dude.

At least with Henderson we shouldn't have to worry about him doing what Alonso, Mascherano and Torres have done. He could easily have gone to the Mancs this Summer. Their interest was apparently longer standing than ours, and of course there's an almost guaranteed championship challenge and CL football on offer.
Arguably also, his first team chances are better at the Mancs with their midfield hardly being star studded and overstocked, Scholes retiring creates an immediate vacancy and only Valencia ahead of him in a wide position.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
At least with Henderson we shouldn't have to worry about him doing what Alonso, Mascherano and Torres have done. He could easily have gone to the Mancs this Summer. Their interest was apparently longer standing than ours, and of course there's an almost guaranteed championship challenge and CL football on offer.
Arguably also, his first team chances are better at the Mancs with their midfield hardly being star studded and overstocked, Scholes retiring creates an immediate vacancy and only Valencia ahead of him in a wide position.

yes, one has to be pragmatic about the whole thing.

if a player wants to play for Man Utd (and not us), for example Jones, then we are better without him.

similar, only vice versa, for Henderson. 

and the big bonus point, like you mention, is that local lads will be less willing to flock off (like Alonso or the Monster) to warmer climes.  For lads from the chilly north east, like henderson and carroll, Liverpool will be like the mediteranean. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »
British / Irish players won't land us with the desire to 'go home'. They're only likely to want to move to a more successful club within the Premier League. As Henderson has shown though and Suarez before him, there are still players that believe that we are the club to be at.

If we can re-establish ourselves in the top four next season and then build ourselves up for a title challenge, then that problem would disappear.

Although Dalglish can't be seen as any more long term than Taggart, the Mancs are set up nicely for the sort of fall from grace we've endured. The combination of debt and trying to replace Taggart could see to that.
Chelsea and Man City will always have a degree of instability and Arsenal could face both boardroom upheaval and mass fan discontent soon. Also Wenger is not likely to be there for any length of time.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2011, 01:35:09 PM »
Lol dude the mediteranian!

Reading a couple of transfer stories today. Doni has turned us down due to wages. Again if true we are better off without him. Its a transfer i didnt understand in the first place. If we are going to sign an understudy for reina surely we can get one from these shores as good as doni that also counts as being homegrown leaving the foreigner spaces freed up for outfield players.

Reports are suggesting maxi has requested to leave for free back to argentina. Last season i would have said get rid but maxi showed how he is capable of contributing at the end of the season so now id be sorry to see him go. Surely these reports are mis quoted and maxi wants to see how kennys project will develop.

Lastly apparently villa are playing hardball and want 20 million for downing. If thats the case i would say thanks but no thanks. For that money there are better younger alternatives abroad. It would be maddness to bow to such demands for a player in my mind is a mediocre english player. He is not worth 3 times what city paid for adam johnson

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
agreed, Juan.....for those who want CL football (read the subtext - MORE MONEY), let them go elsewhere.  We want quality people, physically and mentally.

re Maxi - I have always been a fan.  His critics are too stupid to realise that when we play hoof-ball to Carroll (as we did a couple of times last season), then you might as well sell technical lads like maxi.  If you play the game correctly (like we did 20 years ago, then lads like maxi are worth gold.  For goodness sake Kenny, do not let Maxi go.  And I also read the moronic notion that Moreless will be let go, or will be working from the bench next season.  That is sheer madness.  The lad is pure class.....excellent technical ability (like Maxi).

agreed Tes - local lads will not be liable to leave us - unless for larger salaries at clubs like chelsea, city or man utd (maybe barca, madrid, inter milan).  We will essentially have them for life.

And I agree re what we see at United right now, is not unlike Liverpool FC around 1990.  The phenonomonoin onin that blew in 25 years ago, is in his twilight years.  The era of bullying the league is coming to a close.  They are in financial turmoil - they cannot afford to fail.  That is a helluva pressure for any new manager to come in to.

Having said all that, as you point out, Kenny is no spring chicken.  He will instil a Liverpool feel to the club again.  But beyond 3 or 4 years, I think we need to be looking at someone a tad fresher.  I do not imagine Kenny, being like a bobby robson or a fergie, and working until he is 70 years old.  He has all the money he needs and no need for the hassle.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2011, 06:46:07 PM »
Agreed Juan, Downings not worth 20mill. He has had a couple of serious injuries aswell. I would be interested if we could get him for 14/15 million. I've got a couple of mates who are Villa fans and they rate Downing better than Young.

On Maxi, he had a great couple of games at the end of the season but he's on a big wage and for most of his LFC career went missing and didnt produce the goods. So him returning home is for the best all round

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
If anyones interested Hendersons starting for the u21's and its about to kickoff

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2011, 01:06:46 AM »
Sky sports are reporting that liverpool will hold talks with adam this week. Good news although i am more than a little perplexed with the number of central midfield players we will have in the team. After the phil jones episode id expect fergie to register his interest soon.

I knew ferguson couldnt help himself. The stars reporting that fergie will make a late 12 million bid for adam. After kennys attempt to snatch phil jones fergie is just trying to up adams price.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
If the Mancs bid £12M or Blackpool are looking for anything above £8M, we should walk away. He's a Championship (Blackpool's new status) player in the last year of his contract. Paying anything above £5M + add ons would be daft as we can get him on a free next Summer and it would be a good oportunity to see if he maintains his 'form' next season.

Whilst Maxi is a class player in the right system, considering his age and salary and the fact that he's obviously not totally commited, then I'd let him go but make sure we replace him with the same sort of technical player.

Downing is a more intelligent and technically strong player than Young and has a very good right foot. He would give us the option to use him on either side, however, £20M is too much, but we're a victim of the fact that Young only has a year on his contract and will go for far less, so Villa, quite rightly, are trying to maximum what they get for Downing in order to make up for losing both 'wingers' in the same window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s38jnV1FyKo&feature=player_embedded#at=11

Note how much Downing uses his right foot.

I think that Moussa Sissoko of Toulouse would be a more cost effective and better signing than Adam, whilst Mata of Valencia and Payet of St Etienne would be better / replacement for Downing or Maxi.
As long as they could all settle into English football, of course.

If we're even thinking about stumping up £20M for Downing, then surely Adam Johnson would be a better use of the money.

We still need to be sharper with our transfer business so we don't miss out on the likes of Daniel Sturridge (free - Chelsea value him @ £15-£20M), Gary Cahill (£5M - Bolton value him @ £15-£20M) and Adam Johnson (£7.5M - Man City value @ circa £20M). That's £60M worth at current club/market value that could have been purchased for around 20% of that and improved the squad at the time(s) they were purchased by their current clubs and would still be seen as an improvement to our squad even now.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
One piece of news i didnt see coming was that Kryiakos has signed a new one year deal. I like the guy, hes a tough tackling honest player who is at times limited in his ability but a good squad player none the less.  Still thought he was on his way this summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 16, 2011, 09:18:58 PM »
One piece of news i didnt see coming was that Kryiakos has signed a new one year deal. I like the guy, hes a tough tackling honest player who is at times limited in his ability but a good squad player none the less.  Still thought he was on his way this summer.

Is this an indicator that either we're struggling to get our central defensive targets or that there aren't the players available at the sort of prices the manager thinks provide us with value. If either are true, then it's a good idea to give Kos a year's extension. Although Upson, for example is available on a free and of similar age, we wouldn't be able to simply offer him a year's contract with little or no pricey signing on fee.

But if the above is true, it's good to see we're just buying for the sake of. We're using what we've already if an obvious, affordable improvement isn't available.
Sakho has declared he's staying at PSG for at least this season, and we have been heavily linked with him, so maybe we're holding fire until there's a chance of him being available next Summer. I think it makes it more likely that Agger will be the one to go, due to his value and inability to be available for selection on a regular enough basis.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »
Doesnt martin kelly want to end up playing central defence also. Even with krgy signing on for another year i think we have to stregthen the defence. In fairness its been shored up under kenny but we still need a top centre back and left back too.

More transfer news coming from the club is that sylvian marveaux is undergoing a medical and will sign depending he passes it.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 16, 2011, 11:55:12 PM »
Doesnt martin kelly want to end up playing central defence also. Even with krgy signing on for another year i think we have to stregthen the defence. In fairness its been shored up under kenny but we still need a top centre back and left back too.

More transfer news coming from the club is that sylvian marveaux is undergoing a medical and will sign depending he passes it.

There's a definate need for at least one centre half, if not two. Whether they're available at the right price is another matter. For example:

Stoke steal a march on Liverpool and Spurs with £12m bid for Birmingham defender Dann

16th June 2011

Stoke have made a club-record £12million bid for Birmingham centre half Scott Dann.
Liverpool and Tottenham are also considering offers for Dann, 24, after missing out to Manchester United in the race for Blackburn's Phil Jones.

Aston Villa could also enter the running if ex-Birmingham boss Alex McLeish becomes their manager.
But Stoke have made the first move for Dann, who has been widely expected to leave Birmingham since their relegation.
That bid for Dann will increase speculation over captain Ryan Shawcross's future at the Britannia Stadium.

Liverpool would be interested if Stoke indicate they will listen to offers for the £15m-rated defender.
Tottenham are also in the market for a centre back with Sebastien Bassong and Younes Kaboul set to leave White Hart Lane.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2004468/Stoke-steal-march-Liverpool-Spurs-12m-Dann-bid.html

£12M for Dann, £15M for Shawcross? Are either of them worth those sort of price tags?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2011, 11:56:30 PM »
Let's hope if Marveaux signs that he's overcome his injury problems.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 17, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »
I'm off to Anfield! Udinese star Zapata shuns City and Arsenal for Liverpool

17th June 2011

Liverpool are closing in on the capture of Udinese defender Cristian Zapata after the Colombia international revealed he is on the brink of moving to Anfield.

After missing out on the signing of England Under 21 star Phil Jones to rivals Manchester United, Reds boss Kenny Dalglish has had to move quickly to secure a top defensive target.

Manchester City and Arsenal have both monitored the 24-year-old centre-half, who can also operate at either full-back position, with serious interest while keen German giants Bayern Munich will be left disappointed.

But Zapata, who has two years left to run on his contract with the Serie A side, admitted he in on the verge of joining Liverpool following the forthcoming Copa America in Argentina.

'I do not know what to say, I can say that I am very close to Liverpool,' Zapata told radio station La FM.

'At the end of the Copa America, we will see what happens with my future.

'I have gained experience, but the time has come for me to make the jump to a big team.'

The deal adds to a busy summer already in the transfer market for Dalglish. The Reds boss has secured the arrival of £16million Sunderland midfielder Jordan Henderson and is soon to seal the services of France winger Sylvain Marveaux.
The 25-year-old will arrive from Rennes on a five-year deal believed to worth £60,000 a week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2004624/Liverpool-close-Cristian-Zapata.html

"'I do not know what to say, I can say that I am very close to Liverpool,' Zapata told radio station La FM." - so don't say anything until everything's completed.