October 17, 2019, 04:21:06 AM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 105135 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
Viva Zapata!!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 17, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
Viva Zapata!!!!

When I read 'Zapata' it reminds me of the captions that used to come up on the old Batman series, 'pow', 'zplat', 'zock' etc. Dude and ASI will know what I'm on about.  ;D

And for 'the youngsters': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDc-1zfffMw
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 17, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »
excatly, Tes......reminds me of the same.

;D
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 17, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »
Doni's move from Roma is apparently back on after he turned down the move due to the level of salary offered, instead he prefered to go to  Galatasaray, who were interested. Now, apparantly, Gala are instead looking at Nando Muslera of Lazio, so it looks like it could be back on.

He's hardly crawling over broken glass to come here, reserve keeper or not. Is this the sort of player we really want?

Also, according to Shankleygates and Click Liverpool, Sylvain Marveaux's failed his medical and the medical staff are concerned about the groin injury he's had for most of last season. Good to see we're not repeating the Degen, Aquilani and Aurelio fiascos of recent seasons.

Talking of Aquilani, according to http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/dalglish-drops-asking-price-to-8m-for-want-away-midfielder/ we're dropping our asking price to £8M in order to sell before we have to pay Roma the final instalment of £4.4M at the end of June.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2011, 01:21:35 AM »
doni should be history......let him find himself a club now.

marveleyex is injury prone.....why we bring in such people, I have no clue.

interesting re aquilini......he's a helluva buy for someone, at 8 million.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2011, 07:55:14 AM »
Marveaux is a big gamble, but as Tes states above this deal looks dead.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:58:38 AM by Gurdeep »
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2011, 08:28:23 AM »
Marveaux is a big gamble, but as Tes states above this deal looks dead.

Marveaux has signed for Newcastle, reports state that he could not agree his contractual terms with LFC and that he did not fail the medical as reported by some.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2011, 09:57:08 AM »
In other words we were not offering him silly money to be a squad player, whereas Newcastle have offered him a five year contract (which I doubt we would have offered), probably on more money, to be a first team player.

He either wanted to play for us or he didn't, the contract levels should have been secondary - if he chooses to go to Newcastle for a longer contract and/or more money, then we're well shot of him. Afterall, he'd not exactly be on minimum wage at Anfield.

Wearing the badge first, swelling the bank balance second.   

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
It just goes to show the actual footballing ambition the guy has. At 25 you would expect his next move to be motivated by football but clearly not. Kenny,  Comolli and Fsg need to keep up the good work.

Apparently Doni turned down a contract of just under 1million a year because Roma pay him 2.5. For me another case of on yer bike son

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »
Same with Adam if as reported united are willing to pay 15 million call their bluff let them have him. Put the money toward javi martinez or the likes.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »
It's great to see we're not caving in to or handing out ridiculously priced or lengthy contracts to players who almost certainly won't be in the strongest 1st eleven and would face a fight to get in the matchday squad of 18.

Statistically, Adam is an upgrade on Meireles, 12 goals and 9 assists compared to 5 goals and 5 assists, plus he's younger, cheaper, left footed (bringing balance) and Scottish (need a Scotsman in the team in order to win the title at some point - history dictates such), so why am I not convinced?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »
Know what you mean re adam tes. To be honest i would like us to sign him but 10-12 million would be as high as i would bid. He has the possibility to be a good player for us, his set pieces have been very good and would mean better options but my fear would be whether he could replicate his form at blackpool consistently for ourselves.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »
Just read there that bojan is set to tie up a 10 million move to roma. If we are talking about spending 10 million on conor wickham i would look to bojan instead. The only reason he isnt a regular for barca is because messi and villa are so good

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
Just read there that bojan is set to tie up a 10 million move to roma. If we are talking about spending 10 million on conor wickham i would look to bojan instead. The only reason he isnt a regular for barca is because messi and villa are so good

It highlights just how pricey English players are. £10M is an awful lot for a player who has yet to even play in the Premier League and has hardly shown himself to be prolific in the division below.

Roma seem to have a fair bit of cash since the takeover and £10M for Bojan could prove to be a very shrewd investment.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
Know what you mean re adam tes. To be honest i would like us to sign him but 10-12 million would be as high as i would bid. He has the possibility to be a good player for us, his set pieces have been very good and would mean better options but my fear would be whether he could replicate his form at blackpool consistently for ourselves.

Also, we wouldn't be building the team around him like Blackpool have done. Maybe that would suit him or maybe that's what needs to happen, it's very hard to gauge. Would he be able to cope with the pressure and levels of expectation?

Maybe it will all be a moot discussion anyway:

Alex McLeish prepares £9m bid for Charlie Adam 

Saturday 18th June 2011

Villa were today ready to hijack Liverpool’s move for Charlie Adam as part of Alex McLeish’s rebuilding job.

The Blackpool midfielder is available for £9m after the Tangerines’ relegation to the Championship and Villa are ready to revive their interest after McLeish’s appointment yesterday.

They were linked with a swoop in January and asked to be kept informed of developments with Liverpool also keen on the playmaker.

Reports suggested big spending Liverpool had entered into preliminary talks with Blackpool this week but sources close to Adam insisted he is yet to directly speak to any club.

McLeish gave Adam his Rangers debut in 2003 and he made 86 appearances for the Scottish giants.

The 52-year-old then handed the midfielder his Scotland bow in a 1-0 win against Austria in Vienna in 2007.

Blackpool are ready to cash in on the 25-year-old – whom they bought from Rangers for £500,000 in 2009 – despite triggering a 12-month extension to his contract in May.

Adam has made it clear he will not stay at Bloomfield Road following relegation and after moves to Liverpool and Tottenham collapsed in January.

Villa will have cash to spend when Ashley Young completes his £16m move to Manchester United and need to beef up their midfield after the exit of Nigel Reo-Coker.

McLeish, controversially appointed as Villa boss after quitting Blues on Sunday, spoke to owner Randy Lerner about transfer targets during his interview and has been linked with a swoop for former charge Scott Dann.

Meanwhile, Gabby Agbonlahor has pleaded with Villa fans to give McLeish a chance. They are still angry he joined from their bitter rivals – especially after Blues were relegated last season.

But the striker said: “To those Villa fans who don’t seem to be happy with his appointment, my message is simply to give him a chance and see what he can do. He’ll do well here. He’ll do a good job for the club.

“For him to take on this challenge shows he has the belief that he can do a job here at Villa. It’s a move that only a man with a lot of courage and self-belief would make and people have to respect that.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2011/06/18/alex-mcleish-prepares-9m-bid-for-charlie-adam/

Look like he has two years left on his contract. That would partly explain the prices being regularly quoted in the media.