October 14, 2019, 04:23:14 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 104150 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »
I realise this is from Goal.com and they're claiming it as an 'exclusive', which they do with most articles, but Payet's been mentioned by many sources since January:

Liverpool weigh up £6m bid for St-Etienne winger Dimitri Payet following collapse of Sylvain Marveaux deal

22 Jun 2011

Liverpool are weighing up a bid for Saint-Etienne star Dimitri Payet, but will not pay the French club's £11 million asking price.

Damien Comolli, the Reds' director of football, is a huge admirer of the winger having worked with him at Saint-Etienne before leaving for Liverpool last November.

Payet, 24, is the subject of interest from Qatari-owned Paris Saint-Germain as well as French champions Lille, who are looking to replace Arsenal-bound Gervinho.

The France international is aware of interest from Liverpool and Goal.com understands he has been told that the Reds could be ready to enter the bidding as manager Kenny Dalglish looks to add some wide men to his squad.

Dalglish wants at least two wingers and is hoping to clinch the signing of £15m-rated Aston Villa star Stewart Downing.

But he is targeting at least one more wide player in the summer transfer window, having already missed out on Ashley Young and seen a move for Sylvain Marveaux fall through, amidst suggestions he failed a medical.

Comolli would be willing to pay around £6m for Payet, who scored 13 goals in 33 appearances last season and has been capped three times for the France national team.

Payet, who is under contract until 2013, is believed to favour a move to Anfield but Saint-Etienne will have to lower their expectations over the transfer value.

The French club's president, Roland Romeyer, revealed earlier this month that he had been in touch with English sides but insisted he would not let his star player leave on the cheap.

“There have also been calls from England,” said Romeyer. “But there is no question of letting Dimitri leave at any price.”

Another problem for Liverpool is the bad blood felt by Saint-Etienne after former Tottenham director Comolli criticised the working environment at the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard.

Romeyer has said he felt “betrayed” by Comolli after he quit the club and accused him of squandering money on signings.

PSG's interest in Payet is becoming increasingly apparent, with reports suggesting the capital club have offered €8m (£7m) plus Jeremy Clement for the playmaker.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/06/22/2542541/liverpool-weigh-up-6m-bid-for-st-etienne-winger-dimitri

I don't understand why we're haggling so much over the price. We lashed out huge sums without blinking an eye on two English players who each had barely one season's experience in the Premier League, yet we're baulking at circa £11M for a full French international, who not only plays as a winger but scores goals too. Lack of Premier League experience can't be why we're reluctant, otherwise why stump up such huge amounts seemingly very willingly for Henderson and Carroll? Yet again, we seem happy to be right in there with Downing, who's valued at around twice Payet's fee.

Payet could be a real bargain and free up transfer funds for other positions.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
Know what you mean tes so far if im to be very honezt i havent understood liverpools transfer strategy aside from their desire to get british / premier proven players. When the likes of comolli says he is working on transfer targets from january you why then does it take so long to sign players in the summer. This isnt a criticism just an ignorance to the workings of transfer dealings. Like charlie adam for instance surely if kenny wanted him as a first teamer he would be a liverpool player by now. I also never understand why at times we can seemingly work on one deal at a time. Do we not have a team of negotiators or does comolli have be the sole negotiator for every deal.

I hope kenny and comolli are wise with this transfer budget. More players like suarez is what we need. Surely links to the likes of john o shea are nothing more than lazy journailm
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:54:31 PM by Juan »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2011, 09:56:19 PM »
Apparently Villa are asking £19M for Downing who's 27 soon and we're looking at selling Meirelles for £12-£15M.
Hope that's no true.

If Villa hold out for anything above £15M, then we'd be better off looking at N'Zogbia, who is younger and cheaper and is capable of being anything Downing would be within the team.

If we're prepared to spend circa £20M on a Premier League wide player, surely we'd be better off trying everything to get Adam Johnson, who whilst being right footed, does play a lot on the left like Downing.   

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
If Downing is certain he doesn't want to sign another contract at Villa then he needs to come out and say it. Once McLeish has been convinced the player doesn't want to remain then he has no option but to let him go. That's how Manure got Young.

Whilst LFC can make an approach the player also has a job to do if he wants to move. It looks to me as though Downing is hedging his bets in case a move doesn't take place. That's understandable to a degree but only he knows how much he wants the move.

I'm disappointed Meireles is possibly up for sale. He's been very effective.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2011, 10:59:55 PM »
Not sure where these reports regarding Meireles have come from but I'd not take them too seriously.  The only club I heard that were interested in him was Inter and supposedly they've denied this already.

Regarding Downing, I've never personally rated him.  I would much rather us go for a younger more exciting player like Jeffren.  £19m for Downing is taking the p**s, nationality  aside.  Oh and talking of taking the p**s, how about £10m for Wickham of Ipswich?  Money (Sky) has ruined the game!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2011, 11:17:17 PM »
Can't agree with you about Downing Gurdeep. We need width on the left wing and someone who can deliver crosses for Carroll. Otherwise it's a bit like buying a big howitzer and not having any ammunition for it. If you mean Jeffren Suarez he's a risky buy. Downing is Premiership-proven and worth the extra.

Jeffren might be a decent backup player but we shouldn't risk what is an important strategic position with someone who has no experuience in England. We've been bitten many time already with prospective talent that couldn't hack it.

£10M for Wickham isn't too bad. He could be a great player but even if he isn't his resale value wouldn't be too much lower and his wages wouldn't be that high.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2011, 11:53:25 PM »
I don't think Downing putting in a transfer request would help bring down the price. One of the most interesting things about this Summer's window is the relatively high prices and valuations on players in the last year of their contracts. Villa seem to have a bit of a knack here. They held out over Barry when he had two years left on his contract and got a good fee off City with just a year remaining, they've got a very good fee for Young from the other side of Manchester and having lost Young will hold out against us I'm sure. Firstly, because they won't want to be replacing two wingers in one Summer window and secondly, because the case has been proven that even with a year left you can still command a decent fee (Young again and Barry).

Also the fee being mentioned for Enrique is four times what we got for Arbeloa in the same situation just two Summers ago. As an extension to this, the fees being asked by the newly relegated (ex) Premiership teams in their 'fire sales' appear vastly inflated from previous Summers.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
Not sure where these reports regarding Meireles have come from but I'd not take them too seriously.  The only club I heard that were interested in him was Inter and supposedly they've denied this already.

The other club linked is Juve...of 'we wish to buy aquilani for 15 mil but actually can't afford it so can we have him for 5 please after using him for a year' fame...

The actual thought of selling meireles at all is pure insanity but to juve just adds to the madness! Maybe they'd like us to have a 2 year loan deal..and then come short yet again...'

I know football's gone mad but not this mad...

p.s. think about 15 mil is about right for downing...all this 19 mil crapola is the first bid..serious haggling is needed... he's 27 so maximum got 4 years left...

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »
£10M for Wickham isn't too bad. He could be a great player but even if he isn't his resale value wouldn't be too much lower and his wages wouldn't be that high.

When you put it that way regarding wages etc then yes, your absolutely right.  But the Downing issue, we'll have to agree to disagree..... He's only a few years away from being 30, and to be honest I really don't remember him ever terrorising premier league defences.  £19m is way overpriced. 

On Meireles, I sincerely hope we do not sell him.  He is quality and has shown that last season under Kenny. 
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
Tes, agreed that we seem to have a poor record when it comes to trying to get players from Villa. Manure have the advantage of being champions and able to offer CL football whereas we can't.

Gurdeep, Downing is 26 (27 on 22/7) so is coming into his best form. By the time he's 30 we'll possibly have someone from the reserves who can play left wing. He's a quality stop-gap for 3-4 years. As to whether he's quality or not we'll both have to defer to Kenny on that.

Agreed on Meireles. I hope these are just rumours because I really like what he had to offer last season. The only thing I can think of that he might be sold is that he has to play central midfield to get the best out of him whereas Adam may be more adapable. Note the word may.

It seems a deal may be struck for Adam this weekend. The Daily Mirror are reporting a meeting tomorow between Oyston and Commolli. Hopefully we can get him before Manure try to mess up the deal as we tried with Jones. You know what red nose is like!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:33:31 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »
Additionally as no-one seems to want Aquilani then Meirelles may be a victim of this also. We need one or two (read seven or eight) off the wage bill before we can add any more to it. Aquilani coming back simply increases the problems. So if Aquilani can't be sold then maybe Meirelles will be if he can be.

Jeffren Suarez, Xherdan Shaqiri and of course Juan Mata, are all quality wide players we've been linked with to varying degrees and would offer better all round value than Downing. Whether they'd adapt and flourish in the bearpit of the Premier League is the £19M question.

So far the deadwood has been shifting like deadwood does - not at all. This I feel will be a bigger problem than attracting the right calibre of player, at the right price.
We are still an attractive club, whereas the players that need shipping out are neither attractive in terms of quality or in wage terms (unless they're all prepared to take pay cuts to actually play regular football).

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
I seem to have physic powers!  ;D

David Maddock in the Mirror has an exclusive suggesting Downing has handed in a transfer request.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Liverpool-target-Stewart-Downing-set-to-hand-in-Aston-Villa-transfer-request-to-force-through-Reds-move-article752260.html

I agree that we have a lot of dead wood that needs clearing and that may be the reason for the lack of new players. But what isn't good enough for Liverpool will certainly be good enough for lesser teams. They're probably waiting in the hope the prices will drop. Can't blame them can we?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2011, 11:59:33 PM »
I think it's more the wage demands of the deadwood that is proving the problem rather than what we are asking. We'd literally give them away, but then there's the paying up of their contract and the fact that they won't want to take a drop in wages.
Two things I don't understand when this sort of scenario plays out. Firstly, whilst they won't get the whole of their contract paid up, they will get a good portion of it, then additionally, the salary from their new club, therefore they're being paid twice for the same period going forward. Secondly, they will get a chance to play first team football, week in, week out. Surely that has to be worth taking a drop in wages.
Afterall, we're still talking about earning 10s of thousands of pounds a week, not going from £600 to £300.

So Downing and Adam look like arriving. Slowly that Blackburn team is being reincarnated and that's the one thing that keeps me sane about our last two signings and the players we are most strongly linked with. Now for our David May, Colin Hendry and Graham Le Saux.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »
Like Gurdeep I'm not that impressed by Downing. Adam I always felt is good move as it signs we're trying to get players with the right attitude. A tad worrying tho is that Kenny and Comolli seem to completely have forgotten about our poor defence. It's amazing we haven't been more strongly linked with a good CB or two. Carra is good in ca 25 games, the rest of the games he'll cost us. Skrtel is and always will be a liability. Agger make Aruelio look like fitness itself. In short, we don't have stable and good enough CB's and that will cost us dearly. Unless we improve our defence our team will continue to stutter and produce inconsistent results. This really is a worry to me. It's unbelieveable how some players even dare mentioning the title with such a weak back line.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
There's time yet, Martin, but I know what you mean and how it 'appears'. Soto has signed for another year, so all is well.  :D