November 18, 2019, 11:42:21 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 117490 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2011, 01:15:53 AM »
kenny wants room for another midfielder.

You can never have enough, just in case you misplace one or two. You know, put them in a 'safe place' then forget where that is.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2011, 01:18:38 AM »
Apparently Sammy Lee has left the club......

And off to West Ham, apparently:

He's fat, he's round, he might be West Ham-bound

Tuesday, 28th June 2011

Liverpool's Sammy Lee is being hotly tipped to follow Sam Allardyce to West Ham.

The former Reds player is understood to have resigned from his position in Kenny Dalglish's backroom team tonight (for reasons as yet unknown).

And speculation is rife that Lee is set to team up with Allardyce for a second time, having become disillusioned with life at Anfield following the arrival of Steve Clarke - Gianfranco Zola's former number two at West Ham - in January.

The 52-year-old former midfielder was affectionately known as 'Little Sam' during a two-year spell as assistant to Allardyce at Bolton between 2005 and 2007.

However his attempt to step into his former boss' shoes - following Allardyce's departure from Bolton in April 2007 - lasted just six months before he was fired in October of the same year season having led the Trotters to just one win from their opening 11 league fixtures.

Lee returned to Liverpool in May 2008 as assistant to Rafa Benitez. He remained at the club following the return of another former Anfield favourite, Kenny Daglish, but is said to have been unhappy at effectively being replaced by Clarke.

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125434

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2011, 06:27:51 AM »
Bit underwhelmed by our transfer activity to date....although Henderson is
an interesting signing, imo......The strategy appears to be to add youth (Henderson)
& depth to the squad (as evidenced by the talk about Adam & Downing). Whether the
latter 2 are first 11 in two years time & how much we should bid for them
are open to debate.....

I think it's fair to say that United have kicked our asses to date in the transfer market,
conducting their business swiftly & without fuss, while we're left to feed on overpriced scraps......
Granted, there are a lot of different factors at play but as has been noted before many times
"First is everything, second is nothing.....".  Hope to be pleasantly surprised but.......

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »
an interesting signing, imo

we're left to feed on overpriced scraps......

We are being linked with Wayne Bridge today. Come back Konchesky all is forgiven.

If we are seriously considering signing Wayne Bridge I would start to get worried, unless hes been bought as second or third choice left back with a first choice still on the way. Its a sad reflection when we loan out our first choice and best  left back Insua yet we dont replace him.

Agreed it has been an underwhelming transfer window so far Ed. After Suarez and Carroll coming in and with Hendersons early signing I thought we would have some real quality in by now like United have done. I also thought some of the dead wood might be gone. But as Jim has said lets wait and see what the state of affairs is on September 1st. I just hope we will have most of our deals done long before then.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »
an interesting signing, imo......The strategy appears to be to add youth (Henderson)
& depth to the squad (as evidenced by the talk about Adam & Downing). Whether the
latter 2 are first 11 in two years time & how much we should bid for them
are open to debate.....

I think it's fair to say that United have kicked our asses to date in the transfer market,
conducting their business swiftly & without fuss, while we're left to feed on overpriced scraps......
Granted, there are a lot of different factors at play but as has been noted before many times
"First is everything, second is nothing.....".  Hope to be pleasantly surprised but.......

United have certain advantages over us. Advantages that are beyond our control ATM to alter and therefore match them.
Likewise, they've had the same manager for over 20 years and Taggart is therefore building on / altering / dismantling his own work. Comolli and Dalglish are working with the efforts of those who preceeded them. Just look at the carnage from last Summer that has to be dealt with, without the likes of El Zhar, Degen etc in addition.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2011, 02:19:51 PM »
Conor Wickhams signed for Sunderland. Not too bothered by that. What worries me is that according to SSN hes rejected the chance to come to Liverpool. That would mean we've missed yet another target. If that turns out to be true WTF is going on in the background at the club regarding transfers. United could persuade Jones to go to them even though they have about 6 centre backs already so how did we fail to beat Sunderland to a striker when thats an area we are short. At the moment Im failing to see the benefit of Comollis role. Its early days but so far for me hes not doing what he was brought in to do.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
You can never have enough, just in case you misplace one or two. You know, put them in a 'safe place' then forget where that is.

sammy will leave a big gap in the middle.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
BREAKING NEWS JUST IN via Twitter

“@John_W_Henry: Speculation on players shouldn't include those of a certain age. We are not going to be successful by merely filling short-term needs at LFC”

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:46 PM »
Re: the issue of missing  targets. How do we know for definate who actually is a legitimate target and who has simply been watched several times and mainly for that reason, the media constantly link them with us and they become 'accepted' as a target.

Wickham is not that much older than Adam Morgan and not a whole lot younger than Carroll and very similar to Carroll. Despite watching him quite a bit, for the price it was probably felt too expensive simply to add him 'for the future' whilst not using him in the present.

As the international transfer window opens on July 1 we may start to see some movement (hopefully out as well as in). I know we all want to be back on Europe's biggest stage and being regular challengers for the title, but we've got to build for a sustained period, not just a purple patch.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »
After Suarez and Carroll coming in and with Hendersons early signing I thought we would have some real quality in by now like United have done.
Yeah, agreed.....It appears they were our Marquee signings and now it's a question of adding depth and some youth??

Tbh, I'd be happy if we got the spine sorted out ('cos, imo, we're gonna win nothing 'til the centre-halves are rock solid for the whole season), added a reasonably experienced Left back, LOL, I don't want to talk about wingers because it appears not even Einstein couldn't solve that problem for us. Anyway, it kind of depends on what formations we're going to be using but, imo, we do look very compact at the moment with not alot of speed in the team.

"We are not going to be successful by merely filling short-term needs at LFC”

& certainly with Carroll, Suarez and Henderson I agree they were bought with 5 years in mind, it's just when you see the players we're now linked with and how much they could cost, I start scratching my head and going they look very short-term to me or panic buys 'cos we missed out on Young and Jones?

Advantages that are beyond our control ATM to alter and therefore match them.
Agreed, I'd just like to see a bit more creativity, buying overpriced, relegated players for the first team is not
the way forward imo.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »
Well here we are on Thursday evening and not a word about the transfers of Adam or Downing.

Talks with Blackpool were held over the weekend with a deal expected early this week. I can't understand why such a low key transfer is taking so long to complete. Okay, so we're loaning them a couple of players plus a few million but what's difficult about that?

And on the Downing front there's diddly squat. The Mirror reported last weekend he was going to hand in a transfer request. Well has he? Why is no-one saying anything?

I've come to the conclusion that the owners have placed a moritorium on new purchases until we have shed some dead wood. I might be right, I might be wrong but that's the only reason I can think why neither player has moved.

But who is going to buy Johanovic when his weekly wage is £130K. Same with Joe Cole. Interested parties will just bide their time hoping to get them on the cheap as we approach the transfer deadline. But we don't have the luxury of time for the players we want as someone else might jump in.

Someone has to bite the bullet and make a decision before we lose these two targets.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:26:43 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 30, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that the owners have placed a moritorium on new purchases until we have shed some dead wood. I might be right, I might be wrong but that's the only reason I can think why neither player has moved.

ASI, I think the nail has been hit squarely on it's head by your good self. Taking into account the comments Henry also made about the huge salaries of players who feature so little, if at all, then that's probably where we're at. We can't keep swelling the wage bill despite the need for new players. Whether we come to some arrangement with certain players in that we don't ask for a fee in return for giving them a lesser settlement on their contract, who knows. As hard as it is in a footballing sense, we have just escape the abyss thanks to the owners, let's not wish for anything that could send us in the wrong direction again.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »
Tes,

I'm getting quite concerned about our situation now. Until we shed some dead wood it doesn't look as though Henry will sanction any new deals. But whilst it's reasonably easy to buy players (you just give what the selling club asks and give the player a pay rise) how on earth do you sell someone who has limited appeal because of age / lack of skill / doesn't want to leave and is on big wages and/or a long contract?

Your Bosman-style suggestion is a start. Whether any player will take it is unknown. We must have been in this situation before with surplus players but I don't know how they were resolved. Henry may not have experience of deals like this so is just hiding his cheque book. That isn't the answer.

It's a dangerous policy because if the squad don't see the new owners spend some of their own cash in this first transfer window they might worry that they're no different to H&G with all the implications that brings.

Henry keeps going on about value but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet if you want certain players. How would everyone at the club feel if Manure made a offer for Adam and it was accepted because we piddled around arguing that Adam is only worth £5M and not the £10M Blackpool claim he's worth? They might feel they owe us one after we bid for Jones.

The money spent in January was raised through the sales of Torres and Babel. So effectively you could argue they have only spent £16M on Henderson. I'm not overly worried at present but if another week goes by and nothing has transpired then I will wonder what their strategy is.

And on top of all this still nothing about the stadium plans. How long does this type of thing take?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »
The Mail has us pulling out of Adam deal due to Blackpool playing 'hardball', whatever that means. Still with Meireles and Aquilani 'still here' it looks like we're going with what we already have. Also, we're apparently prepared to take a £2M hit on Konchesky (and take out a £2M hit on Hodgson for landing us with the 'alehouse four').

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 03, 2011, 09:25:43 AM »
Tes, Blackpool are being obstinate because they don't get the full fee for Adam apparently. This is why they're trying to increase it. But we all know that having a player who's heart is set on a move isn't in your best interests. I suspect £1-2M more will see it pushed through. It would be madness not to complete a deal for such a good player when we're talking less that £10M.

Interesting comments from Carragher who expects substantial movements in the coming weeks. Is he trying to allay our fears that everything seems to have ground to a halt?
Cheers,
Ray