December 14, 2019, 04:48:04 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 122742 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2011, 01:37:42 AM »
Next years starting eleven could look something like this, who needs a defence or attack ;

Spearing    Poulsen      Lucas

Gerrard        Adam        Henderson         Downing

Aquillani     Jon Jo Shelvey     Meireles       Cole

Move Gerrard to where Poulsen is and bring Maxi into Gerrard's current position and we're about set. Who's playing 'rush goalie'?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
You can remove Meireles from the squad. According to the Telegraph he's not going on the tour to China and seems likely to be sold.

Pity really because I thought he had an excellent first season especially after Kenny arrived and your first is often the most difficult.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
So far it's become seemingly more unbalanced, but I guess it's a case of who we can tie up first so we're upgrading on what we already have and then attempting to replace those who 'can do a job' or have 'had to a job' and they all seem to be across the centre of the park. Hopefully we will seem things become more balanced as we shift out those who have been 'upgraded' and we move onto sorting out the numbers but lack of quality in the defence.

The whole dismantling, rebuilding and re-shaping is certainly going to take more than this Summer's window until we get to the position of just being able to add 'here and there' and look to upgrade the weakest couple of positions each Summer.

I would also suggest tes that obviously kenny knows a left back is vital. We missed out on clichy who from the price side of things was perfect for us. We have probably always been interested in enrique but with prices like 10 and 15 million being quoted our recent lowered interest may be a tactic to see his price drops. Hence we our being linked with Cissoko and others but i reckon kenny wants enrique. He just wont want an auction with wenger

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »
You can remove Meireles from the squad. According to the Telegraph he's not going on the tour to China and seems likely to be sold.

Pity really because I thought he had an excellent first season especially after Kenny arrived and your first is often the most difficult.

I was initially disgusted by the thought the club might sell one of our best players from last year. Theres no doubt Raul has talent. However on reading a few articles and reflecting on some of the games last season I can see reason why he may be offloaded. Firstly he is what 28, upper end of the age limit for signing players. That transfer would never have happened this year under FSG, heck im surprised they are willing to pay so much on Downing. Maybe they want to sell Meireles now while he still holds value. Secondly I cant see him ever being first choice in a central midfield pairing. Hes too light weight for it. One part of his game that did frustrate at times last season was his lack of strenght in the tackle and his tendancy at times to lose out in possession in central midfield.

Dont get me wrong I like this guy as a player but unless hes playing behind the striker I think his effect and worth to the team becomes more limited. Without injuries hes probably not going to start now. So instead of having an unhappy player sitting on the bench maybe its time the club does take the tough decisions cut the sentiment and takes 15 million now and stregthens elsewhere.

I'll be sorry to see him go but I can see where Kenny and Comolli are coming from.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
I know this would be a long shot but I dont know why Liverpool dont get a bit ambitious and put in a bid for Nasri. Surely Comolli can do a job showing him what we are trying to build. Hes only 23. Granted because we cant offer champions league football we may have to up his wages. Also in an attempt to do Uniteds offer over we may have to up the transfer fee but I think to snare Nasri would show what FSG and Comolli are all about. He who dares wins Rodders......

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
All this selling while they can make some money is all very well...but does that turn LFC into a glorious training camp for the 'big teams'?
The Meireles factor is deeply annoying in the fact that what does that do to morale? Player of the year in some quarters...came to life when Kenny knew how to use him...he had a great season...

so the new message is, 'do well and we'll flog you off anyway?' what the hell does that say to the rest of the team?
who gets to stay then? gerrard flogged at 28 for 40 mil? will there ever be a favourite? would a liverpool version of the 'invincibles' all be then sold in a summer?

Caution should be made here...the last thing we want to become is an arsenal/spurs...

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2011, 01:24:54 PM »
I was initially disgusted by the thought the club might sell one of our best players from last year. Theres no doubt Raul has talent. However on reading a few articles and reflecting on some of the games last season I can see reason why he may be offloaded. Firstly he is what 28, upper end of the age limit for signing players. That transfer would never have happened this year under FSG, heck im surprised they are willing to pay so much on Downing. Maybe they want to sell Meireles now while he still holds value. Secondly I cant see him ever being first choice in a central midfield pairing. Hes too light weight for it. One part of his game that did frustrate at times last season was his lack of strenght in the tackle and his tendancy at times to lose out in possession in central midfield.

Dont get me wrong I like this guy as a player but unless hes playing behind the striker I think his effect and worth to the team becomes more limited. Without injuries hes probably not going to start now. So instead of having an unhappy player sitting on the bench maybe its time the club does take the tough decisions cut the sentiment and takes 15 million now and stregthens elsewhere.

I'll be sorry to see him go but I can see where Kenny and Comolli are coming from.

Juan,

I agree with most of what you have said. A classic case of him pulling out of a tackle was against Manure at Anfield just after Carra hit Nani. Fabio went in hard and had Raul stood his ground he would have got clattered but it's likely that Fabio would have walked.

He's also very effective in central midfield but far less so when moved out wide. And with 2 new midfielders arriving him chances of first team footie will be limited.

Sad but inevitable.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »

He certainly filled a need last season but as you say Juan there are certain limitations which would probably stop him being a first choice and he can generate some funds without leaving a hole in the team ala Alonso or Mascherano.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
I would also suggest tes that obviously kenny knows a left back is vital. We missed out on clichy who from the price side of things was perfect for us. We have probably always been interested in enrique but with prices like 10 and 15 million being quoted our recent lowered interest may be a tactic to see his price drops. Hence we our being linked with Cissoko and others but i reckon kenny wants enrique. He just wont want an auction with wenger

There's no doubt about that, but it's the dearth of real quality allied to what others can offer ahead of us, that has meant we've not yet been able to complete a signing for that position.

Enrique is now being linked with Barca as a long term replacement for Abidal and Cissoko would attract Lyon's 'English club premium'. Options seem to be lessening all the time but I imagine that Dalglish and Comolli would have anticipated it working out this way and will probably have a list of young, up and coming players to fall back on should the more obvious domestic options and Cissoko prove to be beyond our grasp.
There's one thing with Dalglish. He always sees the bigger picture and is quite comfortable with being a non-conformist to a degree.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2011, 01:46:03 AM »
Lyon ready to listen to Liverpool offer for Aly Cissokho transfer

Aly Cissokho could become the answer to Liverpool's left-back problems after Lyon revealed they are willing to listen to offers.

Reds boss Kenny Dalglish is desperate to bring in a new left-sided defender after being forced to play Glen Johnson out of position at times last season.

After seeing his top target Gael Clichy join Manchester City, he is now looking at a number of alternatives.

Reports in France suggest one of them is Lyon's Cissokho and that a bid is imminent.

Lyon coach Remi Garde told L'Equipe that Liverpool have not yet made an offer for the 23-year-old, but he was prepared to consider any approaches.

'Aly is an important player for us, but if an offer matches our expectation, he is likely to go,' said Garde.

The French club are known to be short of cash and it is thought they are prepared to accept a bid of just £8 million, despite paying £13 million to sign Cissokho from Porto in 2009.

Liverpool are also believed to be interested in Newcastle United left back Jose Enrique, but face competition from Arsenal for the Spaniard's signature.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/868824-lyon-ready-to-listen-to-liverpool-offer-for-aly-cissokho-transfer

If there's even an ounce of truth in this, Comolli needs to leave off from being jerked around by Villa and get this transfer sorted.

Apparently we've also bid for Michel Bastos of Lyon. A Lyon left side would be very interesting.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2011, 02:17:32 AM »
I dont see us buying Cissoko or Bastos to be honest. I still think Enrique and Downing are what we will end up with although the Daily Mail are reporting Arsenal will steal Downing. If I were a player looking to join one of the big clubs I would be looking past Arsenals champions league participation and Id be very worried by the internal rumblings of discontent. In the current scheme of things I think Downing would choose us over the gunners.

The people are reporting Meireles will stay back from the trip to china so he can talk to both Juventus and possibly one of the Milans. I would be disappointed by his departure but if Kenny wants to sell him I can understand where hes coming from and Id support him all the way. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
I agree with you Juan that we are more likely to see Premiership based players come in ahead of those from outside.

I'd certainly prefer Cissokho to Enrique, as I'm not overly convinced with Enrique's defensive game. No doubt he's good going forward.

Likewise I'd have liked to have seen us add Moussa Sissoko as Gerrard's (not so) long term replacement, or at least replace the role he's played in the past. Gerrard still has a role to play if he can adapt his game to rely less on physical attributes of pace and power and take a more defensive, deep lying role whilst untilising his passing ability in the way that John Barnes reinvented himself to prolong his career.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »
Left back and 1 or 2 centre halves, Martin? And who, of the centre halves, would you sell?

That's easy peasy Tes, Skrtel and Agger. Doubt anybody's ready to take them on even if we offer them for free, however.

I will repeat this mantra those who think we'll challenge for anything above 5th this season without significantly strengthen our CB-department will recieve a brutal and painful awakening in late October/early November. 
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
I will repeat this mantra those who think we'll challenge for anything above 5th this season without significantly strengthen our CB-department will recieve a brutal and painful awakening in late October/early November.

I agree with you Martin I think anything above fourth is above us right now as we are.  I do think we are working hard on the transfer front and slowly improving the squad but equally United have significantly improved theirs and seem intent on continuing to bring in even more quality. At this point in the summer I see United as strong favourites for next year but I dont think Chelsea and City are far behind. In my mind there is a big 3, followed by Arsenal ourselves and Spurs with not much between us.

I cant really see us doing enough in the transfer window to suggest we will have a good enough squad to break that top 3. Im not being negative just realistic and I hope fans arent overly expecting a title challenge. We have to start the league with winning it in mind but I still reckon we are some way off. As you say Martin our defence just isnt up to it, Skrtel may have played every minute of last season but he had some howlers along the way. He improved under Kenny but to win the league you need an almost flawless season from your centre backs and I cant see that happening with what we have.

I also agree on Agger. Im a big fan but hes spent the last 2 years nursing injuries. If he cant prove his fitness it may be time to look to replacing him.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »
The papers seem to have got it wrong suggesting Meireles will stay behind along with Comolli. Apparently they are both going to on tour.

SSN are reporting that Arsenal have tabled an 18 million pound for Downing but that his preference is still with us. Initially I hoped we would walk away if we had to pay anything over 15 million for Downing. Being a fickle fan however the fact that Arsenals interest is confirmed I kind of hope we sign him now.

SSN are also reporting a deal could be done tomorrow.