October 16, 2019, 06:22:36 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 104868 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »
I think the question with Dann (leaving aside his place of birth and choice of team growing up) is whether he was the perfect partner for Roger Johnson and Johnson the perfect partner for him, hence each made the other look good. With Cahill there's not that worry, I guess. Cahill stands or falls on his own merits.

Again, it's not a case of who is better, but who would form a better partnership with the centre backs we have, and who has the potential to be able to partner another, as yet unknown, centre half.

Hyypia was part of two terrific centre back partnerships during his time with us.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 13, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »
Although Id have my reservations on Cahill if he were to sign we would have the makings of a very strong and very British side.

sums up my attitude too, Juan.

it's disappointing to have missed out on our two main targets of the summer, the blackburn defender who went to utd.....and the villa lad who went to the same destination.

I am unsure if Kenny has a backup plan, after missing out on the blackburn defender.  Maybe he is hedging his bets and gonna do some research and wait for another transfer window.   
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 13, 2011, 01:03:57 AM »
Maybe he is hedging his bets and gonna do some research and wait for another transfer window.   
Yeah, been thinking the same myself. Maybe for a long term replacement waiting could make sense!
Though, I think we will struggle in defense if hit by an injury or two in the centre, the dropped points
could come back to haunt us toward the end of the season....

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »
Maybe it'll prove to be the case that in our 'hour of need' a star is made from one of the reserves, Wisdom or maybe Coady would be tried there.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 15, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »
Re: one of our 'missed' targets Marveaux. Apparently, he wasn't even on the bench against Arsenal. Did we duck just in time as the bullet approached?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 16, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
Not sure about this one but apparently (according to SSN) we have made an enquiry about Paddy McCourt for Celtic. This is possibly the strangest link Ive heard all summer. The guy is 27 and not a regular for Celtic. He scored two very good solo goals for Northern Ireland versus the Faroe Islands which has caught someone at the clubs attention. Generally when it comes to these flash in the pan players that hit the headlines out of the blue it never works out. Kenny and Comolli should maybe concentrate on sorting out our defence.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 16, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
Juan, I really can't see anything in it, likewise the Alex for £12M  :o rumour that's doing the rounds. I still think we'll end up with Cahill, probably in this or the January window. Throw in Soto Kyriakos, gives them a ready made replacement and gets one more of the wage bill.

QPR supposedly looking at Degen to replace Kieron Dyer. Would be the most ironic transfer of the Summer if it goes through.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:59:51 PM by Tes »

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 18, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Gee, judging from todays paper, looks like Chelsea still have a bit
of business left to do in the transfer window!

Surprised to see them linked with Mata (only 'cos it hasn't been
mentioned previously!). Modric is well-known and this Meireles idea
doesn't appear to be going away!

I suppose it's one thing signing players.....the other being obviously
creating a team (I note Dalglish has form in this area!).

Have to say the combo of Silva to Johnson and then a whipped in
cross looked devastating Monday night.....see a lot of goals coming
from that.

Anyway good to see the competition is upping the stakes! Wouldn't
have it any other way! :D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
Surprised to see Mata still at Valencia, considering he's been odds on to sign for all last season's top 6 except the Mancs.

Mancini must have lost the page with Mata on in his real time Panini sticker book.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
Strong rumours everywhere have N'gog for £4M plus Sterling on loan and £10M for Cahill. I think a better loanee would be Wilson, as he needs first team football now and gives Bolton a replacement. Sterling, I think, needs to be developed further and also be older to ensure he's playing first team football when/if he goes out on loan.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 19, 2011, 02:18:34 AM »
I think a better loanee would be Wilson, as he needs first team football now and gives Bolton a replacement. Sterling, I think, needs to be developed further and also be older to ensure he's playing first team football when/if he goes out on loan.

Yeah, agree totally regarding Wilson, either he gets some first team action or he's likely to stagnate.....
Played at least half a season at Rangers, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't interest?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 19, 2011, 10:41:30 AM »
Exactly Ed, if he doesn't get first team football he simply won't develop. I'm not convinced by what I've seen from him, but since leaving Rangers, where he played every game, he's hardly had any time on the pitch, and even then it was at left back.

Rangers would be a decent option as he'd still have David Weir mentoring him and he'd develop physically at least, though wouldn't be tested against any players of real quality, not even when playing Celtic.

I'd prefer him to go somewhere in the Premier League where they play football the right way and where he'd be encouraged to develop the footballing side of his game as well as the defensive one. Norwich would be another where they play the right way, under Paul Lambert. Whether the pressure of a struggle to stay in the league would help his development, I don't know. Bolton are a safe bet not to be involved in a relegation battle under Owen Coyle and the style of football he's trying to play, even with the bulk of Fat Sham's cloggers still there, is the correct one.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 19, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »
LIVERPOOL WILL LET POULSEN LEAVE

By Pete O'Rourke

Christian Poulsen's agent has revealed Liverpool are willing to let the midfielder leave the club.

The Denmark international has found himself out of favour at Liverpool after failing to make an impact since arriving from Juventus last summer.

The summer signings of midfielders Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam have pushed Poulsen further down the pecking order at Anfield and the club are now prepared to offload the 31-year-old.

Poulsen's agent, Jorn Bonnesen, has confirmed the player has been told he will not be playing regularly for Liverpool this season and that he is looking for a new club for the midfielder.

"I've talked with Liverpool now. They have said that they are not confident that they can meet Christian's desire for playing time, and they understand that we are trying to find a new club for Christian," Bonnesen told bold.dk.

"We look about us and explore the options.

"There are clubs interested, but I can not tell more about the possibilities."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/08/19/manual_161337.html

So the penny has finally dropped. He appears as slow on the uptake as he is getting around the pitch.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2011, 12:32:49 PM »
Milan line up €7m Aquilani swoop

Saturday 20 August, 2011

Milan are on the verge of completing their €7m swoop for Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani.

Riccardo Montolivo had been the primary target for the summer, but on Friday Fiorentina director Pantaleo Corvino scoffed at their proposal and declared he would “only be sold abroad.”

With this in mind and time running out, the Rossoneri have transferred their efforts to signing Aquilani instead.

The midfielder is an Italian international who has made it abundantly clear he’d like a return to Serie A after Juventus refused to take up their option on his loan spell.

According to the Gazzetta dello Sport, Liverpool are prepared to part with Aquilani for only €7m.

It is a huge drop from the €20m the Reds paid for this player to take him from Roma in August 2009.

http://www.football-italia.net/aug20i.html

€7M is a joke. Further down the page Milan are being linked with an €8M bid for Crouch. Aquailani's an Italian international, obviously knows the league and is 3 years younger than Crouch.
We need to hold firm. We were charged €20M by an Italian team for him to play in the PL, and he wasn't even fit to play when we signed him. Now he's proven his fitness, in his own league, there's no risk he won't adapt and he's become a regular Italian international since leaving Roma.
We shouldn't even start negotiations at anything below €10M. In addition, we have to give Roma 5% due to the sell-on clause.
How many times have we been the victim of being overcharged due to the selling club having a sell-on fee due to a previous club and then there's the English tax. It's about we introduced an Italian tax to Italians, and additionally, a sell-on premium. Also, we should have a sell-on clause in the sale contract as he's probably got one more move in him, which is almost assured as Italian clubs regularly trade Italian players, and we need to start be beneficiaries of sell-on clauses, not just victims of them.

We need to get tougher when dealing with any foreign clubs. Whenever any English club attempts to buy off a foreign club they are always quoted a much high fee than players moving between any other European clubs. There seems to be one price for the PL clubs and another for the rest of Europe (thankyou, Abramovich and Mansour). So we need to start playing the same game of hardball. If we're expected to 'buy high' then we 'sell high' also.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:37:40 PM by Tes »