October 16, 2019, 03:52:42 AM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 104469 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
Fabregas and Nasri replaced by a 29 y.o Arteta and a 31 y.o Benayoun. New stadium, anyone?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 01, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »
;)

tis barmy, Ed....
Yeah, I need to wrap my head around the midfield set-up now.....could be a big issue of creative depth there!

We're left with Lucas, Gerrard and Adam in the centre (which is fair enough....) but then all that's left is
Hendersson and Spearing (I must be forgetting someone??)....Hendersson would need to settle in
pretty fast if that's the case....But we're still short a top player...

Was it the plan all Summer to lose Poulsen, Aquilani and Meireles??

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 01, 2011, 12:15:50 AM »
We know there's been discontent all Summer over his contract situation. He fitted in well here but we'll only have strengthened a rival if he slots in as well there. Torres is a case in point. Ditto Benayoun.

Let him rock the Chelsea boat when they bring in another midfielder in January or next Summer. Other players, at least publicly, have relished the competition new signings have brought. He, apparently, felt the opposite. He'll not neccessarily walk into Chelsea's midfield either. Still, counting his money will take him longer each month.

True tes, torres and benny should have realised very few players that leave lfc go on to bigger and better things. Can only think of 2 arguably 3 in recent times, mcmanaman mascherano and xabi.

One thing about meireles he cant tackle. A touch soft. Centre mid -just better than average player, off the striker -very good

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 01, 2011, 12:34:24 AM »
True tes, torres and benny should have realised very few players that leave lfc go on to bigger and better things. Can only think of 2 arguably 3 in recent times, mcmanaman mascherano and xabi.

One thing about meireles he cant tackle. A touch soft. Centre mid -just better than average player, off the striker -very good

Playing off the striker is a position he can excel in, or at least playing off Suarez. Long term, or even this season, where would he fit in, especially when Gerrard returns or Kuyt is played wide right? I think we'll see Henderson play that position, if he's not wide right. Then there's the possibility of Johnson moving forward when Kelly's fit, again seeing Henderson compete with Gerrard or even Suarez playing slightly withdrawn in a free role with Carroll the focal point of attack.
Then there's Shelvey, who Dalglish rates very highly.

I thinking he's looking at a structured and gradual building programme over the next two or three seasons based around younger players, with Adam, Downing, Agger etc being the 'veterans' at that stage. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 01, 2011, 12:39:14 AM »
Fabregas and Nasri replaced by a 29 y.o Arteta and a 31 y.o Benayoun. New stadium, anyone?

sure looks like the issue Arsenal are dealing with, Tes.

I can imagine the arsenal forums are gonna be red hot tonight.

as for us - yip, steady as she goes....no new shiny 400 million quid coca cola stadium for liverpool.

PS - thanks for link....listening to it as I type here.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 01, 2011, 12:42:28 AM »
Yeah, I need to wrap my head around the midfield set-up now.....could be a big issue of creative depth there!

We're left with Lucas, Gerrard and Adam in the centre (which is fair enough....) but then all that's left is
Hendersson and Spearing (I must be forgetting someone??)....Hendersson would need to settle in
pretty fast if that's the case....But we're still short a top player...

Was it the plan all Summer to lose Poulsen, Aquilani and Meireles??

sounds like it.

why would anyone want to get rid of Moreless..........I thought we might have a chance of challenging this season for the title.....but any challenge goes with Moreless.  :(

why not offer the guy top money.  FFS  Just look at what we were paying Cole.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 01, 2011, 01:00:57 AM »
sounds like it.

why would anyone want to get rid of Moreless..........I thought we might have a chance of challenging this season for the title.....but any challenge goes with Moreless.  :(

why not offer the guy top money.  FFS  Just look at what we were paying Cole.

Cole would never have got anywhere near such a bloated payslip under FSG. Cole was one of Pursestring's brainwaves. If he was two years younger then I'd be really sorry to see Raul go, but I think we'll see Henderson grow over the next couple of seasons. There's also Pacheco, who has only gone on loan to Atletico. There's obviously a line of thinking behind that one also, and he plays the same position as Meireles.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 01, 2011, 01:10:55 AM »
I thought we might have a chance of challenging this season for the title.....but any challenge goes with Moreless.  :(

why not offer the guy top money.
& why sell him to Chelsea????

What's most worrying, imo, is that we're almost back to where we were....way too much
responsibility given back to Gerrard. This has been one of the central problems for so long
(i know i'll get hammered for this  :) ), he takes on all the responsibility (because that's the
type of player he is), stifling the growth of a team that can do without him  :'(

Meireles was the sort of player that meant (as we did) we could do without Gerrard. Now, we're
back to Gerrard gets injured and what have we got in the centre

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 01, 2011, 01:27:52 AM »
Cole would never have got anywhere near such a bloated payslip under FSG. Cole was one of Pursestring's brainwaves. If he was two years younger then I'd be really sorry to see Raul go, but I think we'll see Henderson grow over the next couple of seasons. There's also Pacheco, who has only gone on loan to Atletico. There's obviously a line of thinking behind that one also, and he plays the same position as Meireles.

potential for the future, Tes.

but this season?  I thought we looked awesome with the likes of moreless, kuyt and suarez leading the offence.  Technical brilliance.  The type of play that other teams cannot live with. 

there has to be more behind this.....the lad must have wanted away, or there has been a clash somewhere along the line.  Makes no sense otherwise.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 01, 2011, 01:31:19 AM »
& why sell him to Chelsea? ???

What's most worrying, imo, is that we're almost back to where we were....way too much
responsibility given back to Gerrard. This has been one of the central problems for so long
(i know i'll get hammered for this  :) ), he takes on all the responsibility (because that's the
type of player he is), stifling the growth of a team that can do without him  :'(

Meireles was the sort of player that meant (as we did) we could do without Gerrard. Now, we're
back to Gerrard gets injured and what have we got in the centre

Ed, the type of play we saw in the final months of last season, and the first few weeks of this season, are EXACTLY what I predicted (with Gerrard's twilight years and influence on the wane) and wanted. 

You can now see the type of play I wanted all along, this past decade.  TEAM play....technical football, played at a decent pace.  Nobody hogging the ball.  Quick, clean passes, to feet.

Selling Mereless ruins it, for this season.  But at least we have glimpsed the future.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 01, 2011, 01:53:16 AM »
Ed, the type of play we saw in the final months of last season, and the first few weeks of this season, are EXACTLY what I predicted (with Gerrard's twilight years and influence on the wane) and wanted. 

You can now see the type of play I wanted all along, this past decade.  TEAM play....technical football, played at a decent pace.  Nobody hogging the ball.  Quick, clean passes, to feet.

Selling Mereless ruins it, for this season.  But at least we have glimpsed the future.

I have to admit it was awesome to be playing some great football, winning games and
not relying on Gerrard to save the day (okay, we are a bit too reliant on Suarez at the moment  :)).

Still, like you say, there were signs of a team of equals being built out there, everyone knowing their role
and how they functioned within the unit.

Gonna see what Kenny has to say about it, but unless Stevie G stays fit 'til Christmas and it's dealt
with in that window it's ludicrous, imo, (given the squads the top 3 have) to say that we're in anything
other than a dogfight for 4th.

Real shame, because there's a youthfulness about United (in particular their keeper) that makes them look
vulnerable if Rooney gets injured.

I think, it's fair to say that something went wrong somewhere at the end of what was a very good transfer
window for us. Maybe there's a silver lining and we get the right guy for the centre in January (might be
too late by then though).

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 01, 2011, 05:47:37 AM »
Well that's p***** me off, i went to bed and all was well and get up at 6am and merieles' has been sold to our chief rival for 3/4, brilliant...
Chelsea look panicky and squeezing results..we have an abundance of riches so letting aquilani go is one thing, but our other creative midfielder???????????? We have strengthened Chelsea's hand here...ah but at least we got great money for him at least....WHAT??? 12 mil...FFS

It seems to be a question about his contract...and surely keeping our best players happy (within reason) should take precedent over whoever we bring in...

Bad bad decision, and i'm as angry about it as when Rafa sold murphy off...

I'm off to mope...

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #462 on: September 01, 2011, 07:24:29 AM »
Although the timing was not great, LFC have been open to offers for RM all summer so no real surprise he's gone, just the timing of it all.

I would liked to have seen him stay but the club will always be bigger than the individual.  It's something we have to get used to again as fans because I believe over the last 10 or so years we have relied on individuals not the team. We've kind of become conditioned to thinking "Oh $h1t" he's left, we're screwed etc etc

Probably not making much sense there but hope you get the drift....
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 01, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »
Bad news, no further info on Degen  rumour to Rangers.  Gutted.

Liverpool Football Club have tonight confirmed they have cancelled the registration of Philipp Degen by mutual consent.

8)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 01, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »
Although the timing was not great, LFC have been open to offers for RM all summer so no real surprise he's gone, just the timing of it all.

I would liked to have seen him stay but the club will always be bigger than the individual.  It's something we have to get used to again as fans because I believe over the last 10 or so years we have relied on individuals not the team. We've kind of become conditioned to thinking "Oh $h1t" he's left, we're screwed etc etc

Probably not making much sense there but hope you get the drift....

Me too find it hard to accept he's gone. I always liked the player an given the circumstances when he arrived at the club I think he's done a very good job always offering something to the team. I hear he had a desire to leave and in contrast to Torres I don't have a problem with that. He knew he'd struggle to get 10 starts this season with Gerrard back and with a fellow country man at the helm at Chelsea he's probably guaranteed double that amount.

Thanks for a good job and the goal against Chelsea!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.