October 23, 2019, 04:15:45 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 108775 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #465 on: September 01, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »
Im disappointed hes gone but its not the end of our season like people are predicting. We still have an abundance of quality at the club, we've probably lost one of our top subs because it looks as though thats the role he would have played this season. As many of you guys have said its all about the team now not just one player so we shouldnt have been over relying on one player anyway. He will do well at chelsea when he gets a game but i dont think hes what they need. A midfield of meireles, ramieres and mata has the potential to get kicked around the premier league its so physically weak.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 01, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
there has to be more behind this.....the lad must have wanted away, or there has been a clash somewhere along the line.  Makes no sense otherwise.

Apparently he was given a verbal promise by Purslow that his wages would be reviewed and increased depending on how his first season went. FSG were reluctant to stand to that considering his age and their desire to lower the wage bill. Also Dalglish didn't view him as a team player. Fine when we have the ball, not interested when we don't. Apparently he and his agent started as soon as the season was finished. Also, he was upset that we'd dare to bring in other midfielders. Whatever his technical skills he didn't have the mentality that is needed if we're to build something special. Dalglish is not one to indulge anyone.

Whilst £12M appears on the low side, what price do we put on total dressing room harmony and undisturbed team spirit. If it makes the difference between CL qualification and not, then £12M is a good deal.

Additionally, he's worked with Villa-Boas, there's fellow countrymen also in Boswinga and Hilario and he and his wife will fancy the London life. Modern footballers think as much about money, location, fellow countrymen etc as they do about any footballing aspect and within Europe, players and coaches change clubs more frequently than we're used to seeing here.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 01, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »
Im disappointed hes gone but its not the end of our season like people are predicting. We still have an abundance of quality at the club, we've probably lost one of our top subs because it looks as though thats the role he would have played this season. As many of you guys have said its all about the team now not just one player so we shouldnt have been over relying on one player anyway. He will do well at chelsea when he gets a game but i dont think hes what they need. A midfield of meireles, ramieres and mata has the potential to get kicked around the premier league its so physically weak.

he was a great team-minded attacking player, Juan.  Superb technique.   

I agree re Chelsea.  Every player seems to fall into a black hole when they go there.  Benni was technically superb - and ok he had injury issues, but still, even when fit, he rarely got a look in.  Chelsea's owner never learns.  It's all about the latest toy...be it managers, players or staff.  And he throws toys behind him at a whim.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »
Apparently he was given a verbal promise by Purslow that his wages would be reviewed and increased depending on how his first season went. FSG were reluctant to stand to that considering his age and their desire to lower the wage bill. Also Dalglish didn't view him as a team player. Fine when we have the ball, not interested when we don't. Apparently he and his agent started as soon as the season was finished. Also, he was upset that we'd dare to bring in other midfielders. Whatever his technical skills he didn't have the mentality that is needed if we're to build something special. Dalglish is not one to indulge anyone.

Whilst £12M appears on the low side, what price do we put on total dressing room harmony and undisturbed team spirit. If it makes the difference between CL qualification and not, then £12M is a good deal.

Additionally, he's worked with Villa-Boas, there's fellow countrymen also in Boswinga and Hilario and he and his wife will fancy the London life. Modern footballers think as much about money, location, fellow countrymen etc as they do about any footballing aspect and within Europe, players and coaches change clubs more frequently than we're used to seeing here.

he never reminded me of the type to cause disharmony in the changing room, Tes.

interesting re Kenny maybe not caring for his work attitude, when we do not have the ball.

I had regularly heard of the promised pay rise issue. 

Personally, I wonder if our reluctance to increase his pay was linked to the bigger picture of the oncoming UEFA Fair Play Rules.  And his age (on such a higher pay scale) certainly would not fit in with our owner's business model.

There has to be more to this.  I do not think it was related much to on-field performances....I suspect it was linked to a bigger overall picture at the club.  Just MHO. 

A great loss to any title ambitions we might have had this season. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 02, 2011, 12:16:35 AM »
A midfield of meireles, ramieres and mata has the potential to get kicked around the premier league its so physically weak.

Malouda, Lampard, Mikel, Essien (when he recovers from injury), and Kalou who doesn't play as a forward too often in addition to Ramires and Mata and the only possible opening for Meireles is on the right. However with Boswinga, Hilario, Ferreira and of course Villas-Boas, plus Portugese speakers Luiz, Alex and Ramires it seem like a real Algarve by the Thames from home for him, so you can see the appeal and of course the payslip.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 02, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
Rory smith gives us some idea behind the meireles departure. This is the new liverpool and i have to say i like it. Cant believe we got rid of 19 players.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8735693/Liverpool-manager-Kenny-Dalglish-completes-a-summer-of-bloodletting-at-Anfield-with-a-leaner-meaner-squad.html

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 02, 2011, 01:46:22 PM »

When you think of it that way maybe his departure was for the better. An extremly well put and argumented post. Cheers for that, tes!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 02, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
some reports had him on 30, some on 35 grand a week, at Anfield.

that is absolute peanuts for his skill level, and experience/age.  It is unheard of.....more the wages that someone would earn 5 years ago.

if we reneged on a promise (and make no mistake the lad did perform well), then he has every right to feel aggrieved and want away.  I'd feel exactly the same way myself.  Fair play to him, he hasn't made a song and dance about it.

If that is the new way that we do business, then it certainly is goodbye to the Moores era (of over the top kindness and decency).

PS - agree with Juan and others, that Chelsea will never get the best out of him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 02, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
Dude, it was Purslow, and therefore by extension Hicks and Gillett, that made the verbal agreement. FSG have no obligation to keep a 'promise' made by the previous management, especially when so many of the contracts handed out by the previous regime landed the club with a ridiculously high wage bill. Maybe if he'd have been a bit more patient, forced his way into the team as a starter and once the wage bill had been reduced, which apparently it has been by £30M, he would have had his contract looked at again.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 03, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
Dude, it was Purslow, and therefore by extension Hicks and Gillett, that made the verbal agreement. FSG have no obligation to keep a 'promise' made by the previous management, especially when so many of the contracts handed out by the previous regime landed the club with a ridiculously high wage bill. Maybe if he'd have been a bit more patient, forced his way into the team as a starter and once the wage bill had been reduced, which apparently it has been by £30M, he would have had his contract looked at again.

you're right, Tes re it being a promise from the previous regime.

but from a footballing perspective, with no obvious replacement at the end of the window, I find it frustrating and mystifying.

the lad is technically excellent.  He is a mature player, late 20s.  Even if he does not start all the games, look at the impact he can make as a sub.  Look at the understanding he had with the rest of our offence.  It was a joy to watch the offence, when Suarez, Kuyt, Downing and Moreless were in it (as opposed to the hoof-it to Carroll themed attack).

I guess it will move Maxi up the priority list re starting or coming on.  He is also a top notch player, technically superb.

But what frightens me, is that Liverpool were looking to offload him as well this summer. 

We need more of these types of player, not less.

But overall, despite missing out on a couple of key targets, I have been very impressed with the work we have done in the market this summer. 

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 03, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
We've had a superb transfer window...still irritated greatly by merieles....we've had cole and jovanovic sitting on planks for a year on 90k and 60k respectively and we can't give merieles (one of the star players when someone took charge who knew what they were doing) more than 35k???
Weirdness personified...
There's prudent and there's being tight...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 03, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »
I guess with their thinking being long term, there will be the occasional casulty as things are sifted and sorted. He may be a short term miss but we'll look again in January if there's an obvious hole.

Re Bellamy, he's a short term addition to bridge a gap whilst Adam Morgan develops and Pacheco is given more time, which explains why a 28 y.o was let go and a 32 y.o recruited.

It would also depend on what exactly was promised to Meireles. I don't see FSG giving Meireles a four year deal like Chelsea have done and usually a payrise involves a contract extension aswell.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 03, 2011, 10:22:41 PM »
we've had cole and jovanovic sitting on planks for a year on 90k and 60k respectively and we can't give merieles (one of the star players when someone took charge who knew what they were doing) more than 35k???
Weirdness personified...

mystified me too, barticus.

heck, one report had the lad on 30 grand.

to me, moreless was the difference, this season, in an outside title shot and no title shot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 03, 2011, 11:24:32 PM »
we've had cole and jovanovic sitting on planks for a year on 90k and 60k respectively and we can't give merieles (one of the star players when someone took charge who knew what they were doing) more than 35k???
Weirdness Purslow personified...

Fixed it for you, Barticus. Looking back at last Summer, during Roy's tenure, just had me scratching my head in bemusement. (Well it would have done if I'd had any nails left to do it with).

This Summer's window is as far removed from last Summer's window as it is for just one club to be.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 04, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »
It might take until January or the likes to find out if Kenny was right to sell. I back his judgement.

We could have a situation where Meireles is playing superb stuff for Chelsea scoring plenty of goals and aiding thier assault on the Premier League.

On the other hand we could have a situation where Meireles isnt getting his game for Chelsea, hasnt replicated his scoring exploits for Chelsea and we've gone and put the 12 million towards Eden Hazzard or the likes in the January transfer window.

Time will have to tell.