November 18, 2019, 09:54:47 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 117479 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #480 on: September 04, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »
I was interested to see what our net spend for 2011 was so I took a look at the transfer league that keeps account of all transfer goings on.

Player In                                  Players Out                         
J Henderson 16 mil                    P Konchesky  1.5mil
C Adam         7 mil                    C Mavinga      1 mil
Doni            Free                      G Bruna          750k
S Downing    20 mil                   M Jovanovic     Free
J Enrique      6.3 mil                   D Ayala          Free
S Coates       7 mil                     E Insua          Free
C Bellamy      Free                     C Poulsen      1 mil
V Bijev          Signed                  S Kryiakos       Free
                                               D Ngog          4 Mil
                                               R Meireles      12 mil
                                               T Ince            Free

Total         £56, 300,000                           £20,250,000                   Net £36,050,000

L Suarez     23 Mil                      F Torres         50 Mil
A Carroll      35 Mil                      R Babel          5.8 Mil

Total         £114,300,000                          £76,050,000                   Net £38,250,000

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 04, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »
The fact that the club has been transformed in less than a year on a Net spend of approximatley 40 million is nothing short of miraculous.

And with Rory Smith reporting that we slashed 30 million off the wage bill this summer its easy to see this club is going places.

There seems to be a few players not on that transfer league like El Zhar but it still gives us the bigger picutre.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
So in reality, over a year, that will amount to a net spend of just £10M. In the past we've handed out ridiculous wage payments to players who, at best, might play a part in the squad.  Likewise, if we pick up a player on a free his salary shouldn't make up for a lack of a fee but rather should be valued in exactly the same way as a player who cost a fee, ie, on their likely contribution to and importance within the squad.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
So in reality, over a year, that will amount to a net spend of just £10M. In the past we've handed out ridiculous wage payments to players who, at best, might play a part in the squad.  Likewise, if we pick up a player on a free his salary shouldn't make up for a lack of a fee but rather should be valued in exactly the same way as a player who cost a fee, ie, on their likely contribution to and importance within the squad.

Good point tes, that makes the first year even more impressive. I cant see us sign many more free transfers unless they have undoubted premiership quality. Gary cahill next summer would fit that mould.

Stoke match next week. This is where the likes of carroll will show his worth. Exciting season ahead.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 05, 2011, 01:34:21 AM »
Stoke match next week. This is where the likes of carroll will show his worth. Exciting season ahead.

Capello (and the media) are at it again questioning Carrolls's fitness, lifestyle etc:

LIVERPOOL'S ANDY CARROLL LOOKING A BAD FIT http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/269280/Liverpool-s-Andy-Carroll-looking-a-bad-fit

England v Wales: Fabio Capello calls on Liverpool striker Andy Carroll to regain his sharpness http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/8740596/England-v-Wales-Fabio-Capello-calls-on-Liverpool-striker-Andy-Carroll-to-regain-his-sharpness.html

Fabio demands more focus from Carroll as £35m striker fails to impress boss on England duty http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2033746/Fabio-Capello-demands-focus-Andy-Carroll.html

Capello warns Carroll to get fit or risk missing out on England place http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/capello-warns-carroll-to-get-fit-or-risk-missing-out-on-england-place-2349376.html

And a more balanced and less sensationalist interpretation of Capello's comments:
CARROLL JUST NEEDS GAMES - CAPELLO http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/04/SOCCER_England_2nd_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

With the league season being interrupted yet again with what will be the third international match already this season, there's no wonder certain players can appear to struggle for fitness. Carroll didn't get a chance to build his match fitness and sharpness on Friday as he wasn't selected and with no game on Saturday, it could be two weeks since the last chance he even had to play. A break like that so early in the season does players no good when trying to build their fitness levels up again at the beginning of the season.

If Capello thought Carroll needs games to get fit, and as he pointed out, didn't start against Bolton last Saturday, then why wasn't he given the chance on Friday against Bulgaria, 6 days after the Bolton game?
It's not the club's job to get players fit for England. Dalglish has already commented on the fact that maybe he was rushed back too early last season, and no doubt our medical and sports science team have devised a programme for Carroll for the first few months of the season to build his fitness up and attempt to avoid a repeat of the injury he suffered last season. Afterall, they work with him far more than Capello and his fitness people.
Capello also mentions Defoe. Where are the Defoe headlines? Sorry, I forgot. He's one of 'Arry's boys, isn't he.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 07, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
If Capello thought Carroll needs games to get fit, and as he pointed out, didn't start against Bolton last Saturday, then why wasn't he given the chance on Friday against Bulgaria, 6 days after the Bolton game?

it was an important Euro 2012 qualifier, Tes.  He wasn't gonna give him a run-out in such a key game.

I think Capello is absolutely spot on re playing players who are on top of their game (thus Lampard and Carroll didn't get picked).  That was the old Liverpool style - big names count for nothing, form/fitness is the key.

The next few months at Liverpool are going to be critical for Andy.   35 million, paid for an injured player, who has played only 13 games this year, scoring only three goals (one of those against Exeter), who is struggling to get a game for Liverpool nevermind England.

Can the lad improve his on-the-ground technical ability, speed and lifestyle approach, at 22.  I dunno about those first two aspects.  Well, TBH, I do.

Crouch, at 10 million, would have offered a better aerial threat and far superior ground threat, than Andy.......and saved us a bucketload of cash too.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 07, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »
it was an important Euro 2012 qualifier, Tes.  He wasn't gonna give him a run-out in such a key game.

I understand what you're saying Dude, but Capello is talking about Carroll from his point of view (as England's manager talking about an England player). It's not our job to get players fit for England. If Capello thought the game was too important to risk Carroll and help improve his match fitness, then maybe that's the view Dalglish has taken also. Though the flow of England's rather ponderous style would be less interupted by playing Carroll than the way we are developing would.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:24 PM »
What I couldn't understand last night is why Carroll came on in the 88th minute to replace Rooney. It wasn't as if Rooney was MoTM and would be given a standing ovation.  ::)

But I do think Carroll needs to be more responsible. If he has been drinking then the club should read him the riot act. It's not his fault he cost £35M but a certain level of behaviour is expected of all players irrespective of their price tag.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 07, 2011, 09:23:34 PM »
What I couldn't understand last night is why Carroll came on in the 88th minute to replace Rooney. It wasn't as if Rooney was MoTM and would be given a standing ovation.  ::)

But I do think Carroll needs to be more responsible. If he has been drinking then the club should read him the riot act. It's not his fault he cost £35M but a certain level of behaviour is expected of all players irrespective of their price tag.

The price tag has become an issue that is being personally attached to Carroll, when he had nothing personally to do with it and no personal control over it. It's totally unfair that it's being used against him. His lifestyle, if it's a problem, is under his control, but I think that all sorts of things are being used because he's 'not looking like a £35M player'.
If there's any blame it should be directed at the clubs involved, us and Newcastle, for making him a '£35M player'.
The only questions that should be asked are whether he is suitable for our style of play and is he doing everything he can to be the best player he can possibly be.

As for Rooney, any attack England had, in the second half in particular, pretty much broke down when the ball reached him. Not all his fault, he was poorly supported, but there were times he should have done much better. Rooney should have been hooked and Carroll given the last half hour. Then again this is Rooney, and Carroll is the nation's latest 'bad boy'.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 07, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »
It's not our job to get players fit for England. If Capello thought the game was too important to risk Carroll and help improve his match fitness, then maybe that's the view Dalglish has taken also.

what I cannot figure Tes, after 9 months, why is Andy not fit.

I hope to goodness we have not, YET AGAIN, paid big money (in this case a British record fee) for a crock.

But it matters not a lot to me (fitness level), I have seen enough of the lad, to be peeved at the money we have spent on him.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 07, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
Tes,

I'm not blaming Carroll for having a £35M tag. We both agree it's not his fault. But when I watch him play he does seem a lumbering giant. If he's carrying excess weight then it will be apparent to the doctors and Kenny and he will be given a fitness regime to shed it.

Other members of the squad have adapted well to the pass and move system. Carroll, with some application, should be able to adapt too. No-one is asking him to do the 100 yards in 10 secs but he's a big bloke and should be able to hold the ball up well. Heskey was pretty useful 10 years ago and he's a similar build.

Carroll has an excellent shot and rarely shoots high or wide. It shouldn't be impossible to play him in a position where he can use those strengths.

But there's no smoke without fire so Capello's comments about his drinking must have some substance and that needs to be tackled.

Stoke away on Saturday is an ideal game for him. Let's hope he can play and play well. He certainly deserves some game time because lack of it will affect his confidence.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 08, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
what I cannot figure Tes, after 9 months, why is Andy not fit.

I hope to goodness we have not, YET AGAIN, paid big money (in this case a British record fee) for a crock.

But it matters not a lot to me (fitness level), I have seen enough of the lad, to be peeved at the money we have spent on him.

Agreed, Dude, it's a head scratcher alright. Is he not fit or is this what Andy Carroll actually is?
As I've stated before on here I'm not a fan of the 'English target man' style of player.

The fee itself is one thing, but the biggest thing for me was the way it was decided. FSG said any replacement for Torres had to be £15M less than we received for Torres. No problem there. But having got £35M to play with we should have been keener with our valuations on the player(s) we were looking to spend the (Torres minus £15M) money on.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 08, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »
Tes,

I'm not blaming Carroll for having a £35M tag. We both agree it's not his fault. But when I watch him play he does seem a lumbering giant. If he's carrying excess weight then it will be apparent to the doctors and Kenny and he will be given a fitness regime to shed it.

Other members of the squad have adapted well to the pass and move system. Carroll, with some application, should be able to adapt too. No-one is asking him to do the 100 yards in 10 secs but he's a big bloke and should be able to hold the ball up well. Heskey was pretty useful 10 years ago and he's a similar build.

Carroll has an excellent shot and rarely shoots high or wide. It shouldn't be impossible to play him in a position where he can use those strengths.

But there's no smoke without fire so Capello's comments about his drinking must have some substance and that needs to be tackled.

Stoke away on Saturday is an ideal game for him. Let's hope he can play and play well. He certainly deserves some game time because lack of it will affect his confidence.

The purchase was an odd one wasn't it, ASI. His attributes, and I think you've summed them up perfectly, do not seem to fit it with a team looking to play 'pass and move' where technique, an understanding of how to find and use space, mobility and ideally pace, are the main attributes required.
We're not looking to play with an individual as the focal point of the attack, but rather the position itself is the focal point where we rely on an individual being at the head of the attack and that individual changes depending on the movement of the other forward players.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 08, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »
The purchase was an odd one wasn't it, ASI. His attributes, and I think you've summed them up perfectly, do not seem to fit it with a team looking to play 'pass and move' where technique, an understanding of how to find and use space, mobility and ideally pace, are the main attributes required.
We're not looking to play with an individual as the focal point of the attack, but rather the position itself is the focal point where we rely on an individual being at the head of the attack and that individual changes depending on the movement of the other forward players.
Tes, I'm not sure Carroll was bought with the pass 'n move policy in mind. We had a matter of hours to find a replacement for Torres and it was a very short list. Who else would have been available at such short notice? I suspect the club knew Newcastle's chairman would agree to a sale if the price was right. It wasn't a panic buy but it was close.

I'm sure Carroll is young and keen enough to learn to adapt to whatever system Kenny wants him to play in. And after the implied criticism this week by Capello Carroll will be keen to show his qualities. I would expect him to be some time against Stoke.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 09, 2011, 12:37:27 AM »
If that's true, ASI, then at best it was a very poorly thought through purchase. All our other purchases, icluding Suarez, made prior to Carroll, fit the 'pass and move' profile.
With Carroll being injured at the time of purchase it also makes it a strange one as we wouldn't have had use of him anyway.
Chelsea allegedly offered us Sturridge + £40M. That would have been a more fitting purchase in every way.