September 21, 2019, 08:37:01 PM

Author Topic: Potential Summer Transfers in and out  (Read 93380 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Summer Transfers in and out
« Reply #495 on: September 09, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »
Didn't Torres hand in a transfer request on the last day? If so, the club had a matter of hours to make a decision. Suarez was bought to partner Torres. I'm not sure £40M + Sturridge would have been a better deal but I'll keep an open mind on that.

With the width we were building in the team having a big centre forward makes sense. It's too early to say whether Carroll will be a success or not but tomorrrow at Stoke will be an interesting test for him if he's picked.

Trouble is, with Kuyt and Suarez forming such a good working partnership it would be a brave man who would disrupt it.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 09, 2011, 06:31:12 PM »
with Kuyt and Suarez forming such a good working partnership it would be a brave man who would disrupt it.

exactly, ASI.

the old Liverpool mantra, was to only bring in someone better than what you already have. 

As for Torres (and Moreless), I wouldn't focus too much on a player putting in a last minute transfer request.

The club will have known about Torres interest in possibly leaving for some considerable time.  Heck, the club may even have been trying to previously offload him on the quiet (I did see reports of that).  But any top club (which we are) will be on top of developments and have contingency plans in place. 

But for me, the worrying aspect is that Carroll, all 35/36 million of him, was their contingency plan.  It's bad enough that he cost a record transfer fee for a British player and was injured, and never gonna play much part in the rest of the season.  But the most worrisome aspect, is that someone at the club thought 1) that he was technically good enough on the ground; 2) fast enough; and 3) Liverpool would develop a hoof it to the big centre-forward approach.

The little and large era, ala Toshack and Keegan, worked at a time.  But that era is long since gone. 

Certainly it is good as an option (via substitution)......but never as your core strategy.  Well at least not at a top club like Liverpool.

We paid a helluva lot of money for mere potential.  If he had come at half the price, then it wouldn't be a major issue.   My key concern is not related to fitness, it is ability.  On the ground, and also in terms of pace, he is not near good enough.  IMHO

Anyways, overall, I am very impressed with our new acquisitions. 

Enrique, Downing and Adams look superb.  I am delighted for the lads.  They look bona fida Liverpool FC players.  I know some of you had major doubts about Henderson.  But I saw enough in these opening games to be confident that he is gonna be a good signing for the club.

We did miss out on two top players, that United took off our noses this summer.  I hope that our second-choice, Coates, can be a success.  Carragher is a worry in defence. 

Overall VERY impressed.  Kenny is going for an offence based game.  The key to the game is balance.  I hope he can get that delicate balance right.  But he is on the right track.  I suspect he has realised that Fergie has it right....to win premierships, you have to throw the kitchen sink at the opposition at times.  In doing that tho, a weak chink in your defence will get exposed. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 09, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »
Agreed, Dude, it's a head scratcher alright. Is he not fit or is this what Andy Carroll actually is?
As I've stated before on here I'm not a fan of the 'English target man' style of player.

The fee itself is one thing, but the biggest thing for me was the way it was decided. FSG said any replacement for Torres had to be £15M less than we received for Torres. No problem there. But having got £35M to play with we should have been keener with our valuations on the player(s) we were looking to spend the (Torres minus £15M) money on.

yes, it was a poor method of approaching the transfer, Tes.

And with the lad going to be out for several months anyway with his injury, and thus playing little part in the rest of the season, why the big rush to buy him.  Made no sense. 

My suspicion was that it was a statement of intent....a political statement, that the club felt they needed to make, to keep the fans onside (with selling Torres).  It was a poor decision, made in haste.  As you say, the valuation was way off.

As for the player, I think he is fit.  I think this is it. 

If we want the tall man option, Crouch would have been a far better temporary bet - 10 million quid, technically superb in the air and on the ground.  Would have offered a height option that would not have broken the bank.  And as an option, he could have given us 2, maybe 3, years service.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 09, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »
I'd prefer a Drogba type player if we are to add an aerial dimension to our play. Being strong aerially being just one of his attributes, not the main one.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 09, 2011, 11:23:43 PM »
agreed.

if an aerial threat is a striker's sole key attribute, then he is only really deployable as an option from the bench.

mind you, lads like drogba come with a lot of attitude.

if only we could have found a 22 year old alan shearer, with our 35 million.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 12, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
Meireles has come out and given his side of the story as to why he left.

Firstly he said he was made available for transfer during the summer. He claims the club didnt want him. I tend to believe him because it seemed early on in the transfer window he was being linked with a move to Juventus or Inter. He also stated that the club asked him to hand in a transfer request. In the clubs defence I assume that was only after he had expressed an interest in going to Chelsea. Otherwise why would they have rejected Chelseas original bid also supposed to be for 12 million.

Secondly he claims that the club broke a promise. He had been promised a 100% pay rise if he had performed well in his first season. You cant fault the club for not following through with the promise considering it was made by the previous regime. Theres no doubt Meireles deserved to be on a higher wage but if KD and DC didnt think so thats fine with me. We've lost a good player but in my opinion he can be easily replaced by somebody younger and possibly better.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 13, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
Story in the papers today about Van Der Vaart being left out of Spurs Europa team.  Wouldn't be a bad buy in the winter transfer window.  Fantastic player imho.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 13, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
Meireles has come out and given his side of the story as to why he left.

Firstly he said he was made available for transfer during the summer. He claims the club didnt want him. I tend to believe him because it seemed early on in the transfer window he was being linked with a move to Juventus or Inter. He also stated that the club asked him to hand in a transfer request. In the clubs defence I assume that was only after he had expressed an interest in going to Chelsea. Otherwise why would they have rejected Chelseas original bid also supposed to be for 12 million.

Secondly he claims that the club broke a promise. He had been promised a 100% pay rise if he had performed well in his first season. You cant fault the club for not following through with the promise considering it was made by the previous regime. Theres no doubt Meireles deserved to be on a higher wage but if KD and DC didnt think so thats fine with me. We've lost a good player but in my opinion he can be easily replaced by somebody younger and possibly better.

Juan, the second part is the reason for the first part. If Meireles hadn't allegedly kicked off with agent in tow as soon as the season finished and had had some patience, once the wage bill had been lowered there would probably have been a better than evens chance of him having his contract looked at again.
There had been links all Summer with different clubs but how many times did Raul come out and state he only wanted to play for us.
As Chelsea made several offers it's not beyond the realms of possibility that once Villa-Boas had been appointed at Chelsea that Meireles' agent didn't go to work enquiring about the possibility of a move.

Ultimately, his desire to be at our club was not of the requisite strength if we are to move forwards and upwards. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.