September 19, 2019, 10:05:52 PM

Author Topic: Rafa Close To Quitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4915 times)

skippy

Rafa Close To Quitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: August 15, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »
http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?id=57

It goes from bad to worse. Imagine who statler and waldorf would get to replace him. Last time it was going to be a man with no club managment experience aka Klinsmann.

martin

Re: Rafa Close To Quitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »
It wouldn't have surprised me although, as reported, I would of imagined that the players and the supporters are enough to keep him at Liverpool, not to mention the fact that he is at Liverpool.

It saddens me that our board are creating this sort of situation. We are in danger of Benitez leaving one day making more 'lapeshade instead of table' claims. I guess Rafa would accept it if we just didn't have the money plain and simple but as Rick Parry said himself on our website, it is about their perceived value of a player versus the f-ing managers. The fact that I didn't want Barry, especially at that price, doesn't come into it for me. If the money's there and Rafa wants to use it, that should be it.

PhilLFC

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »
all this will take now is for a big club to come in!!!and we will be in the same situation as Valencia....Groundhog day!!! if the present board stay....we will see Rafa go...the only way he will stay is if we are put up for "Takeover"  and that is "Extremly" close.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:44:56 PM by PhilLFC »

Stephen

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:48:11 PM »
Guillem Balague is very close to Rafa so I know his comments are correct. Again why mention that Hicks has the money and not the owners? does this suggest that Gillett is the one who won't stump up the cash?

Stephen

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »
just on the official site there and they have published the Rafa press conference in full with the criticism of Parry and the owners included. Very unlike LFC.tv. They have always tried to avoid this kind of controversy and pretend everything is rosy.

Why are we starting another season with this shed again.

I hate the Yanks for this

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:38:59 AM »
just on the official site there and they have published the Rafa press conference in full with the criticism of Parry and the owners included. Very unlike LFC.tv. They have always tried to avoid this kind of controversy and pretend everything is rosy.

Why are we starting another season with this s*** again.

I hate the Yanks for this

Stephen,

I've read the site and I see no criticism of either Parry or the Yanks. He is just frustrated that everyone seems to think it was he who was negotiating with Villa. In fact it was Rick Parry. That's who I would expect to do the wheeling and dealing, not the manager.

He wouldn't be so daft as to openly criticise either owner on the eve of a new season. What he thinks of them privately is a different matter of course.
Cheers,
Ray

skippy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »
Seems to me that gg is once again trying to force hicks into selling or to certainly make it as difficult as he can for hicks. There is going to come a time when Rafa says enough is enough and he will walk as he has done in the past. We are stuck in a limbo with our owners not having the funds for players or stadia and if something doesn't happen soon we will free fall into decline. No bank is going to lend them anymore money in this current financial climate and anyone who thinks they will is in dreamland. These 2 yanks own our club they can do whatever they like and we are powerless to do anything about it. Imagine who they would get to replace Rafa? Who would want to manage a club where the owners are in constant dispute? I don't think any decent managers would and we would end up with a "yes man" being dictated to by the owers.

New season, new disputes but sadly its the same old story.

Yanks out!!!!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 10:25:38 AM »
I think this brings us back to the ownership debate again.

The club is rotting to the core.

The revelation about Benitez is just the latest chapter and in fact I see this morning that after Rafas admission of talks with Arsenal has meant Alonso has requested a move from the club.

Its difficult enough to catch United and Chelsea but this constant disruption and in house fighting must make it almost near impossible for Benitez to get on and do his job.

Individually / Collectively how can anyone still defend Hicks and Gilette?

On another note just watching some clubs net spending for the summer on SSN. We spent 32 million this summer and recouped 22 million a net spend of 10 million.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »
Again why mention that Hicks has the money and not the owners? does this suggest that Gillett is the one who won't stump up the cash?

we're seeing it again on various articles now, confirmation that the two owners are still most definitely on very bad terms.  Who knows which one of them that Rafa talks most to - in emails and telephone.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was Hicks and Rafa - and on the other side, Parry and Gillett being buddies.

The whole management of Liverpool looks splintered (especially when you factor in Ian Ayres and his allegiances).  We badly need change at the very top. 

I want Barry at Anfield.  But I do see the lack of value for money issue - the lad is late 20s, and a fat fee and wages will cost us a helluva lot of money.  However, his price/age are no different to similar acquisitions at Man Utd (Hargreaves and the spurs lad they bought).

Our senior mgt just seem so splintered and incapable to having a coherent consistent opinion on issues.  If Barry was worth 18 million 10 days ago (when the transfer deadline set by Villa beat us), then why do we suddenly deem him not to be worth it a few days later.

And Keane has been bought for 19 or 20 million - and is late 20s - so why not a problem when buying him.  It just doesn't add up at all.

One has to wonder if Gillett is feeling the financial squeeze (more than Hicks) and is thus wary of committing this type of money towards Barry.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 10:39:26 AM »
The revelation about Benitez is just the latest chapter and in fact I see this morning that after Rafas admission of talks with Arsenal has meant Alonso has requested a move from the club.

I suspect that Rafa's outburst yesterday (I get blamed for everything including global warming and oil price rises) was brought on by Alonso having a big row with Rafa. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
Rafael Benitez has reiterated his commitment to Liverpool after reports suggested that the Spaniard was considering his future, following the ill-fated transfer saga of Gareth Barry.

Benitez has since moved to clarify his future at Anfield, insisting that he is happy at the club and has no intention of leaving, despite speculation that his tenure of the Merseyside club was in doubt.

The Liverpool board’s apparent unwillingness to support Benitez in his long-running pursuit of Barry was understood to have wrangled with the Spaniard, but the former Valencia man has since moved to quell the speculation surrounding him.

“I am not thinking of leaving,” Benitez told the club’s website.

“My commitment with the club, the fans and the players is so big that just because I can be disappointed about different things, I won’t stop trying my best to achieve all of the targets that we have established as a team,” he said.

Benitez has endured a tumultuous relationship with the club’s owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks since the American pair's takeover, but The Reds’ boss is adamant that he is content at the club and is as determined to succeed as ever.

"My family and myself are very thankful to the club, the fans and the city and we will never give up fighting to get the best for Liverpool.”

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »
Rafa's a fighter, not a leaver.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »
Rafa's a fighter, not a leaver.

Good job considering the trio of Laurel, Hardy and Chaplin he has to go through to try and get anything done.

The most important value placed on a player should be his value to the team. Sell on value shouldn't be high on the priorities as by the time we want to sell a player they will have outlived their purpose and have a low team value. Experience and influence on a team can not be measured in £s. What Barry brings, not just the individual attributes but what it adds overall to team shape, pattern and play, is what any good manager is valuing. Rafa sees him fullfilling a role(s) within the team for which we obviously don't have a player at the club to play that role or play it as effectively as he deems Barry can, and that includes Alonso and I would suggest whilst as a pure passer Alonso is better but in a role covering Dossena on the left when he goes forward, supplying crosses from deeper positions, free kick delivery when it requires a left footer and occasionally breaking into the box late (as I think we would see against the bus parking teams) as an extra dimension to our attack, are all things Barry offers which Alonso doesn't or hasn't yet shown in his time at the club.  If we play 4-2-3-1 with Babel left of the three and Dossena overlapping, a left footer who can cover the space left in behind is invaluable as well as being able to release Babbel or even Dossena early when the ball is retrieved helps keep the pressure on the opposition and mean Dossena can more utilised more, higher up the pitch, without expecting the guy to be like Cafu and manage to get up and down goaline to goaline continuously for 90 mins and not tire later in the season.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 06:43:09 PM »
I was surprised at how big/unfit Dossena looked in that Liege game.  As a supposed quick overlapping wingback, I was pretty astonished at his physique.  Hope I am proved very wrong.

Yes, Alonso quite clearly doesn't bring enough to the team.  TBH I don't think we are going anywhere in the premiership with reliance on Alonso in the middle.  We are not bossing games in the manner that I'd expect.

You're right, Barry's worth cannot be measured in pounds.  It's what he brings to the team that counts.  If a team needs a certain player, it doesn't matter to the team if he costs 100,000 or 10 million.

But I am pretty depressed regardless.  Even we do get Barry now, the season is started and it's gonna take him a while to get familiar with his new colleagues and our style of play.  We needed him in as our first priority when the close season started.