December 07, 2019, 10:21:20 AM

Author Topic: Liverpool v Middlesborough  (Read 3836 times)

wittsy

Liverpool v Middlesborough
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:46:13 PM »
Interesting game, we definitely seem to be improving. We played some good football against a side that may turn out to be a tough team this season. Borough have a v good squad and lots of talent, they also seem to be playing as a team at last. They're big strong and defend well and I think they will shock a few bigger sides this year with there skillfull counter attack.

Torres hassled them all through the game and was unlucky on a few occasions and he and Keane seem to be getting a better understanding as every game passes.

Both centre backs seemed tighter and quicker when compared to earlier games, this has to be good.

Dossena also seems to be getting used to the pace and seemed to charge at the defense and get back better than in previous games, but still has room for improvement.

Zhar is like a bull and takes defenders on or runs straight through them, could really be a feature this season on either wing if he keeps improving at this rate.

But generally the passing was slicker, defending was better and I thought that this time we were slightly the better team  :D But there were still problems. While Alonso threw the passes around he still stands off too much for a defensive midfielder and gets caught with the ball alot. We need to try and get Gerrard involved more too. But most of all we need to find someone who will try and take defenders on other than dossena, as well as Kuyt played he still hold the ball up and waits for the pass instead of putting his head down and going at goal.

The signs are good though and I'm looking forward the Liege game.

ATB Jas
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:51:45 PM by wittsy »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool v Middlesborough
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:13:08 AM »
we can only get better.

for one, keane is notorious for starting seasons slowly....and always starts scoring after the first month or two of seasons.

it is concerning, as usual, that we are not bossing midfield against teams like boro.  Yeah sure, captain marvel steps up to be the hero of the day in the 94th minute, but where was he at for the previous 93 minutes.  Same old, same old.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Ourlad

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »
Hopefully the performances at home improve i think we should be controlling most teams in the premiership at home and keeping there chances to a minimum. Away from home i'll take a ground out win every time a good performance will be a bonus.

Durgs

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
We got the result -thats all i care about at the moment.

I have no issues with poor performances now ( and, lets be honest, it was not a good performance) - we usually start well and drop off in Nov - Dec time.

If this slow introduction to form means we build up a head of steam going into the Xmas period, thats fine with me.

As Stevie G said last year, You don't win the league before xmas, but you can deffo lose it

skippy

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:13:41 AM »
Its worth remembering that Gerrard was injured in preseason and now has to have an operation. He clearly wasn't 100%.

Durgs

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »
Its worth remembering that Gerrard was injured in preseason and now has to have an operation. He clearly wasn't 100%.

True, but what was the rest of teams excuse?

skippy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:33:38 PM »
I know what you mean Durgs but sometimes you play poorly and still get the 3 points  :D where as the last few seasons we played poorly and didn't get the points so maybe it isn't so bad after all.

Durgs

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »
Right on Skip - points are all that matter
If we can win playing badly, hopefully we can come into form around Nov-Dec (when we are usually shine-a-light) and mount a serious title dig. What we've done in our first few matches is turn draws into wins. This was prob our major flaw last year along with losing to poorer teams.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
yes getting results when one is playing rubbish, is a good sign.

we will click eventually, but presently we are all out of balance across the park.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 03:24:16 PM »
Lack of width is clearly one reason we are struggling to score goals. Although some say we're not playing well we've only conceded 1 goal in 4 games.

When Babel delivered that cross it resulted in a goal albeit due to a defender's mistake.

Riera on the left and Pennant on the right should be more effective than everything through the middle. But Rafa won't drop Kuyt (and rightly so) so lack of width on the right remains a problem.

Does Rafa have the funds for a right winger if we can offload Pennant and who's in the frame?
Cheers,
Ray

skippy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 03:33:04 PM »
What baffles me is if everyone can see we need more width and have done for quite a while why can't Rafa?

Durgs

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
i think ideally Rafa would want the full backs to be getting forward and crossing the ball. But, as shown last night, they don't get to the by-line a whip something in because they would be too far out of position. AND their crossing is not great.

By just playing through the middle, we are stifiling our creativity and making it easier for teams to defend against us.

But, hey, we're through and still unbeaten

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:09 PM »
What baffles me is if everyone can see we need more width and have done for quite a while why can't Rafa?

He probably can Skippy but there's probably a lack of choices. As soon as we show some interest in Englishmen the price goes sky high. Milner would have been my preferred choice over Riera but he would be expensive. Fingers crossed young Albert gets used to the pace of our footie and starts pumping in some quality crosses. That's when I think we'll see goals from Torres and Keane.  :)

Just caught the end of the Villa game and they didn't look that clever. 3 points on Sunday is not looking too unrealistic.
Cheers,
Ray