October 16, 2019, 06:38:03 PM

Author Topic: Villa v Liverpool  (Read 2227 times)

martin

Villa v Liverpool
« on: August 31, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
Half time, hasn't been a good start. Torres injured, lets hope he is alright. Have to say that I really don't like the formation employed. Why do we play so narrow?!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: Villa v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »
What an awful game.  I just don't understand Rafa Benitiz's logic sometimes....

After today's performance, my honest opinion is that we will not win the league this year.  There was no urgency in our play, misplaced/over hit passes.  Babel on the bench???  So much to talk about but I'm to dissapointed to write more, plus I have my wrist in a cast and it's taken fookin' ages to type this much...lol 
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »
We play narrow because we have no-one capable of running down the wings and dribbling past a defender.

That performance was poor, defence excepted. Here was a chance for someone to step up and take the initiative with Gerrard out. Mash was okay but where was Alonso? With his passing abilities he should be bossing things. All I saw him do was a long range shot in the first half. Torres going off should have been the signal for Babel to come on and play 2 up front with Keane.

Lucas was very ineffectual and nGog was our only striker after Keane went off. I'm beginning to think that we're not progressing with Rafa. He spots good players but they don't improve with us. Yes, we have a great defence but the midfield is incapable of supplying decent balls to two decent forwards.

Not to have a single shot on target against a team that shipped 3 against Stoke last week was unacceptable. This isn't the first bad performance. They've all been bad this season. We've just got lucky a couple of times.

When are we going to start playing high tempo football? Everytime someone gets the ball they're stood still. You'll never see that at Utd or Arsenal. Rafa talks about it but it hardly ever happens.  :(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:55:29 PM »
we're never gonna win the premiership if we aren't more positive in trying to win our games (that's the secret that Man Utd have deployed for years).

though the sad truth is, we don't (I think) have the resources to be able to throw the kitchen sink at opponents (we're much too weak in midfield, and as a cohesive team unit).

if we are too positive, we get stretched and get sucker punched by opponents.

as someone earlier says, we do need to play at a much faster tempo.  High tempo is what beats weaker teams. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

wittsy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
I still not sure why we have moved away from the system we used at the end of last season, Keane could play where Gerrard was last season and leaving Stevie G to play in either central midfield or even out on the right again.

The last couple of months of last season where possibly the most consistant we've been for years. I think we were almost 18 points behind the leaders or something silly like that (don't quote me there thats off the top of my head) and pulled about ten points back on them using that system.

JMHO Jas

martin

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
I think we have the players capable of mounting a challenge, I just don't think they are being deployed correctly. We have strength in depth through the spine with the exception perhaps of our strikers where only Keane and Torres are really good enough. It is out wide where we lack quality, but more than that, we don't even make use of the quality we have. I just don't understand why Rafa doesn't like signing/using wingers - last season we were crying out for them and he signed Benayoun and Babel, both of whom do not try and beat defenders on the outside. They are good players but it isn't their style. Then, to compound things, we use Dirk bloomin Kuyt on the right side. Yes he works hard and has a good attitude, but he isn't a right winger and it so blatantly shows. It's crazy in my opinion that he is used there, why? Surely it is much better to use someone with a natural ability to play in that position? The only gain you get from him playing there is that he adds to our defensive abilities by tracking back and making it hard for the oppo but is that really the mindset we intend to employ to win the league?! This year, Rafa attempted to address this problem by signing Gareth Barry... Eh? You what? How the f*** is Gareth Barry gonna add width to our team, scrap that, how is he going to add anything?! Luckily, it would seem, we are going to actually sign a winger in Riera, lets just hope Rafa sees sense and plays a 4-4-2 utilizing Keane and allowing us to play with attacking intent. I'm beginning to think Rafa has lost the plot.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:16:26 PM by martin »