November 19, 2019, 05:28:47 AM

Author Topic: Firesale at LFC? How likely is it?  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Firesale at LFC? How likely is it?
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:56:50 AM »
Several newspapers are today reporting that H&G may be forced to sell top players to repay some of the loan they bought the club with. Here is the Times' take on it http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5134437.ece.

I cannot see a situation where this would happen. If H&G don't have the money then they would just accept the offer from the Sheikh wouldn't they (which is still on the table) and walk away with a decent profit?

Why sell some of your top players with the inevitable knock-on effect of slipping down the table and thereby reducing the overall value of the club? It makes no financial sense whatsoever. I know this is just the opinion of one man but how ever ludicrous it may seem there's nothing these Yanks won't do to save their backsides!

What's more likely to happen? Our top players being sold or H&G selling up? Or the only other option is that they get another six month extension but that doesn't solve the problem, it just postpones it until the summer.

Personally if they don't get an extension from RBS/Watchovia I think they will have to sell the club to the Sheikh, like it or not. God, how I hate these two!  >:(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: Firesale at LFC? How likely is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
Selling top stars....hmmm.  What would happen if and I say if H&G tried to offload Torres but the latter told them to fook off as he has a binding contract and is also very happy with life at Lfc?  Presumbly nothing?
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »
If the owners want to sell a player and there is a buyer I don't think the wishes of the player come into it. they're just lumps of meat to be traded. That's the downside of being paid £100,000 a week!

But it would require a degree in stupidy for our top players to be sold to finance a debt. The newspapers are reporting it like this because it will sell copies.

If they'd said Arbeloa was going to be sold everyone would go "huh?". You say Gerrard or Torres and everyone starts paying attention.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »
I would be very surprised if a firesale took place.I wounldnt put anything beyond H&G but the club is worth a lot more with its world class players that can win things, than not. If a firesale took place the current owners would look very desperate and the price that someones willing to pay would tumble.

Stephen

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »
Guys, if the bank tell them in January we want our £350m back and we want it now then thats exactly what will happen. If the Sheik pulls out and the banks refuse to extend the loan in January we will be in a serious problem and we will go into Liquidation. The banks will then sell the club and its assets to get their money back. Cold hearted business my friends.

Do we not remember leeds? They had to sell all their players and elland rd and the club etc etc

H&G will walk away a couple of million down but not too badly. The club will take the hit completely.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:06:06 PM »
Stephen,

What you are describing could happen in theory but in practice is extremely unlikely. Why would the Sheikh, having made a bid, then withdraw it? The club is sound in footballing terms. The club's name is amongst the most valuable in the world.

In short, what you're describing will never happen.
Cheers,
Ray

Stephen

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:46:28 PM »
Yes its an if but the club is not worth £350m currently. 18 months ago it was worth only £220m - considering the world economic climite the club is probably worth less. So the Sheik could easily pull out - hopefully and probably he won't but the reality is they pulled before at a lot less money.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
you're absolutely correct, Steven.

We are at a key moment in the club's history.

The yanks are quite happy to hold a gun to the club's head.  'If we don't get a real fine peachy offer..."

It's a game of brinksmanship tho.  They don't really want to start destroying the golden goose.  If they do that, then their hope of making any profit at all starts to disappear.

In the meantime, the club (and it's fans) can only nervously look on.  We are desperately weighed down by massive debt.  We are owned by two yanks who, despite their protests to the contrary, have no allegiance to the club (hell, they didn't even know about our existence until 18 months ago). 

Weighed down with massive debt, we are dependent on our owners being prepared to accept a certain level of profit (in order to fuk off)......AND that the sheik is prepared to still buy us (and not take his old offer off the table).

I don't know about you, but I personally always hate to be dependent on others.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »
Guys, if the bank tell them in January we want our £350m back and we want it now then thats exactly what will happen. If the Sheik pulls out and the banks refuse to extend the loan in January we will be in a serious problem and we will go into Liquidation. The banks will then sell the club and its assets to get their money back. Cold hearted business my friends.

Do we not remember leeds? They had to sell all their players and elland rd and the club etc etc

H&G will walk away a couple of million down but not too badly. The club will take the hit completely.

Stephen I think this is a situation which we could very much find ourselves in. At times we seem to do the Sheiks thinking for him but realistically none of us know what makes this guy tick.

We keep hearing that there is a £500 million pound offer on the table and that may be very true. But as much as people believe that offer will remain on the table there is still every chance that between now and Christmas the Sheik may no longer see Liverpool as a suitably viable option for him to pursue. As negative as that may seem it is a very realistic situation we could find ourselves in.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
The owners arent completely stupid, even thougth i wonder sometimes. If the money had to be paid back, a quick sell to a new owner would make more sense for the yanks. They are without question motivated by finance and making money. To 'start destroying the golden goose' as Dude puts it wouldnt make any sense. There would be plenty of buyers out there,not just the sheikh, regardless of the current economic climate. 

Stephen

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »
Where were the buyers when Moores and Parry spent several years trying to sell the club at 2/5's of the current price? The Sheik is our only prospect i'm afraid. Nobody will spend £500m and then have to spend another £300m on the stadium in todays climate - they won't get the finance.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
yip, the sheik is the only show in town.

Personally, if  I were him, I'd cut my original 500 million quid offer. The world's economic landscape has changed dramatically in recent months.  An offer of 300 million would be more than fair, given these bad times.

The yanks had their chance.  They screwed up.  Time has moved on.

It's now a buyer's market.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.