December 13, 2019, 12:58:42 PM

Author Topic: the dude is in holland  (Read 8534 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
the dude is in holland
« on: September 09, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
Typing here from an internet cafe in downtown amsterdam (my second internet cafe in 2 hours.....cold turkey is hard re breaking away from the web).

The city is fantastic, for sure.  Perhaps I bump into Steve McLaren. 

Great warm sunny weather.  Ladies look a million dollars.  Wish I had a million dollars.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

iskoppa

Re: the dude is in holland
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:08:40 PM »
Enjoy Dude!  :) I've not been in Amsterdam for many a year myself , worse luck!  :(

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »
Enjoy Dude!  :) I've not been in Amsterdam for many a year myself , worse luck!  :(

hi iskoppa!

been such a hot day here - sunny all day and great temps.....walking around here tonight, and not an air of note.....stiffling heat nearly.

it is not the same city that it was say 10 or 15 years ago - city council put a stop to it's famous liberal notions to life.  And i have to say too, that council officials, police, train/bus officials etc, are all typically unhelpful/rude.  I saw that before when i was here.  It's little wonder the city has nowhere near the number of visitors it once had.  Saying that, among the thousands of folks i passed today,  i heard so many accents - lots of irish, yanks, scot, english, etc.

I was in south yorkshire for a break, about three weeks ago....woow, the people there (everyone one of them) were so incredibly kind and helpful.  I had many great chats and made friends.

anyways, lots of luck mate.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Durgs

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »
Hey Dude,
i'm heading to the 'Dam myself in 2-3 weeks time with my better half.
Hope  the 'liberal notions' of the city have not all gone  :( It'ss ruin my trip!
Let us know if you find any hidden gems in the form of pubs, places to eat and that.
Have a good one.

Durgs

iskoppa

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »
Cheers Dude, hope your time there has improved some what from your last comment?  Have a good one!   ;D  Me and Her indoors are going their next year for our 10Th Anniversary!  Or maybe not now if its changed that much, please feel free to PM with updated info on your return? Also Drugs if you are going there in the next 2/3 weeks time I would appreciate any of your thoughts and experiences?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:07:19 PM by iskoppa »

Durgs

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »
I'll give you a shout when i'm back iskoppa and let you know...
i'm gutted Ajax are playing away from home while i am there, i wanted to see a match!

iskoppa

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:38:09 AM »
I'll give you a shout when i'm back iskoppa and let you know...
i'm gutted Ajax are playing away from home while i am there, i wanted to see a match!
Cheers mate, shame about the Ajax game!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:42:35 AM by iskoppa »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:15 PM »
Hey Dude,
i'm heading to the 'Dam myself in 2-3 weeks time with my better half.
Hope  the 'liberal notions' of the city have not all gone  :( It'ss ruin my trip!
Let us know if you find any hidden gems in the form of pubs, places to eat and that.
Have a good one.

Durgs

hi Durgs and Iskoppa - finally getting chance to reply to this thread.  I got in last night and had rprecious few mins on this hotel pc.

I have had breakfast, it must be now after 7am......my long shower was wasted, because after only a 5 min walk outside this panama city hotel, i am soaked with sweat.....humidity is enough to drown a fish in.  Up to the shower again.

Sadly Durgs I was only in Dam was a single whole day this time around.  I stayed in the centre as usual, in that main street opposite central station) trains and buses).

There are a few good folks, but most are not that nice or helpful....always found that....and my taxi bloke last year said the same. (and he was a local).

If you base yourself around that central area, you can´t go wrong.... IIRC hotel neutral was mine....some name like that...i may have a card in my suitcase. Crappy hotel, but clean.

iskoppa

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »
Thanks Dude, the last time I was there........................? What the bleep, bleep, bleep etc etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!  And so officer what exactly are you charging me with?  Hic!
Good times!  ;D :D ;)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »
Thanks Dude, the last time I was there........................? What the bleep, bleep, bleep etc etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!  And so officer what exactly are you charging me with?  Hic!
Good times!  ;D :D ;)
;D ;D   hope you were not detained for long.

I was there last time in June 2007.....and it´s impossible to watch for everything....bus lanes, tram lanes, taxis, cars......but the most dangerous are the zillions of cyclists, and their lanes.

I eventually managed to catch the attention of the cops.....two of them were walking and saw me walk across a tram line, with a tram coming.....they gave me a lecture .....could i not see light was red etc.  I did my usual ....feigned ignorance and said I was foreign.....they asked where from and then asked if red didn´t mean stop in UK as well.....pricks.  I feigned ignorance and language issues....and did a lot of shrugging of my shoulders...that always seems to work.  They let me off.  Probably thought they couldn´t make any charge stick on a mad man.

iskoppa

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:15:20 PM »
;D ;D   hope you were not detained for long.

I was there last time in June 2007.....and it´s impossible to watch for everything....bus lanes, tram lanes, taxis, cars......but the most dangerous are the zillions of cyclists, and their lanes.

I eventually managed to catch the attention of the cops.....two of them were walking and saw me walk across a tram line, with a tram coming.....they gave me a lecture .....could i not see light was red etc.  I did my usual ....feigned ignorance and said I was foreign.....they asked where from and then asked if red didn´t mean stop in UK as well.....pricks.  I feigned ignorance and language issues....and did a lot of shrugging of my shoulders...that always seems to work.  They let me off.  Probably thought they couldn´t make any charge stick on a mad man.
Luckily not for long!  But three days later the Frog Military plod just outside Dunkirk were a whole differant ball game!

RobbieOR

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 04:18:43 PM »
Was there myself Dude Six ,onths ago.fantastic city defo recommened it to anybody.Go to see Ajax if your over there aswell.