September 17, 2019, 05:50:29 AM

Author Topic: Uday Hussein loved Iron Maiden, his players didn't  (Read 3329 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Uday Hussein loved Iron Maiden, his players didn't
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:20:56 AM »

Iron Maiden Found in Uday Hussein's Playground
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,444889,00.html

No profile of Uday Hussein, the psychotic elder son of Iraq's deposed dictator, is complete without a mention of his sadistic reign as Iraq's sports czar. In his capacity as head of Iraq's Olympic committee and also of its soccer federation, he is known to have ordered the torture of athletes who performed below his expectations.

A bad day on the field for a player on the national soccer squad could result in savage retribution: Players had their feet scalded and toenails ripped off for failing to win tournaments. Allegations of torture had even resulted in investigations by international sports governing bodies, most notably soccer's FIFA, but these had failed to produce conclusive evidence — hardly surprising, since no player would dare admit to suffering such abuse, for fear of even worse.

On Saturday, however, TIME found what may be the first tangible evidence pointing to torture in Uday's own backyard, the administrative compound of the Iraqi national Olympic committee in central Baghdad. Hidden in a pile of dead leaves, not 20 yards from the building housing the Iraqi Football Association, was that must-have appliance of every medieval dungeon: an iron maiden.

Around 7 feet tall, three feet across and deep enough to house a grown man, the sarcophagus-shaped device is essentially a large, metal closet with long spikes on the inside door that closes to impale its victim. Its name derives from its mummy shape and the beatific woman's face depicted on its headpiece.

The one found in Baghdad was clearly worn from use, its nails having lost some of their sharpness. It lay on its side within view of Uday's first-floor offices in the soccer association. Ironically, the torture device was brought to TIME's attention by a group of looters who had been stripping the compound of anything of value. They had left behind the iron maiden, believing it to be worthless.

And here is a picture of Uday's iron maiden, found after the invasion.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Uday Hussein loved Iron Maiden, his players didn't
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 03:21:56 AM »
Uday always knew how to get the best out of his players....although admittedly it was their innards.

*I'll get me coat*
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

iskoppa

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:35:57 PM »
Uday always knew how to get the best out of his players....although admittedly it was their innards.

*I'll get me coat*

*I'll get me coat*  :) I jolly well think so  ;)

On the other hand, Uday always made a point of............!  Well in this case several points to be precise!  ::)

iskoppa

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:40:35 PM »

Iron Maiden Found in Uday Hussein's Playground
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,444889,00.html

No profile of Uday Hussein, the psychotic elder son of Iraq's deposed dictator, is complete without a mention of his sadistic reign as Iraq's sports czar. In his capacity as head of Iraq's Olympic committee and also of its soccer federation, he is known to have ordered the torture of athletes who performed below his expectations.

A bad day on the field for a player on the national soccer squad could result in savage retribution: Players had their feet scalded and toenails ripped off for failing to win tournaments. Allegations of torture had even resulted in investigations by international sports governing bodies, most notably soccer's FIFA, but these had failed to produce conclusive evidence — hardly surprising, since no player would dare admit to suffering such abuse, for fear of even worse.

On Saturday, however, TIME found what may be the first tangible evidence pointing to torture in Uday's own backyard, the administrative compound of the Iraqi national Olympic committee in central Baghdad. Hidden in a pile of dead leaves, not 20 yards from the building housing the Iraqi Football Association, was that must-have appliance of every medieval dungeon: an iron maiden.

Around 7 feet tall, three feet across and deep enough to house a grown man, the sarcophagus-shaped device is essentially a large, metal closet with long spikes on the inside door that closes to impale its victim. Its name derives from its mummy shape and the beatific woman's face depicted on its headpiece.

The one found in Baghdad was clearly worn from use, its nails having lost some of their sharpness. It lay on its side within view of Uday's first-floor offices in the soccer association. Ironically, the torture device was brought to TIME's attention by a group of looters who had been stripping the compound of anything of value. They had left behind the iron maiden, believing it to be worthless.

And here is a picture of Uday's iron maiden, found after the invasion.

The pictures ain't showing up, is it just me?  :(

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:12:09 AM »
the pictures show up for me, isoppa.

But oddly enough, after I posted them last night, I came back a few hours later and there were no pictures to be found.

I came back a while later and the pics were there again.

Strange.  Tales of the unexpected.  Maybe the ghost of Uday.

iskoppa

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »
the pictures show up for me, isoppa.

But oddly enough, after I posted them last night, I came back a few hours later and there were no pictures to be found.

I came back a while later and the pics were there again.

Strange.  Tales of the unexpected.  Maybe the ghost of Uday.

Just got in and still no pictures!  O well............... I'll try again tommorrow

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »
looking up, I see the pictures, both in the original post - AND in your post where you quoted all my original post.

odd (because i had same issue as you, a couple of hours after posting the thread....then issue cleared up)

iskoppa

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:55:24 PM »
looking up, I see the pictures, both in the original post - AND in your post where you quoted all my original post.

odd (because i had same issue as you, a couple of hours after posting the thread....then issue cleared up)

Must be like you said, ghosts in the system!!!!