September 21, 2019, 08:34:46 PM

Author Topic: Boycott Murdoch  (Read 8568 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Boycott Murdoch
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

but it is ultra important.

There has never been a better window of opportunity, to launch a nation-wide boycott of all of Murdoch's publications and tv channels.  And also a boycott of anyone who advertises with him, or does business with him.

Anyone who is a member of the other big Liverpool forums, e.g. YNWA, RAWK and TTWATR, might want to pass this sentiment on. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Boycott Murdoch
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »
I understand your dislike of Murdoch dude (I also hate him) but I won't be cancelling my Sky football subscription. Nose, cutting and face spring to mind. But anything else owned by that turd of an individual is fair game.

The NOTW hacking story is growing by the hour over here. Further disgusting revelations can be found here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/8619373/News-of-the-World-bereaved-relatives-of-77-victims-had-phones-hacked.html

How I'd love this to develop into another "All the President's Men" story. Who knows where this will end?

Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »
The NOTW should be put out of everyone else's misery once and for all by the relevant authorities, however, I doubt anything of much value will happen. Murdoch is a parasite of the very worst type.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »
No more News of the World.  It is closing down after this coming Sunday's edition.

It wasn't westminster or the police that shut this monster up.  It was the people of Britain that did for Murdoch. 

People power works. 

GOTCHA!

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »
But dude, a lot of decent people will lose their jobs through no fault of their own. I feel sorry for them.

Murdoch should not be allowed to buy anything else in this country after this. Never, ever!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
ASI, the emergence of the level of criminality at the newspaper left the owners with no alternative.

Nobody was going to advertise any more in the newspaper.  Nobody was going to buy the newspaper.

It must be disappointing for those who lose their jobs, through no fault of their own.  But when you work for such an organisation, you must wonder where all these exclusives, from colleagues, are emerging from.  As an ordinary member of the public, I could see it plain for many years.  And I was OUTSIDE the organisation. 

I'm sure the employees never thought this day would come.  But it did.  And the piper has to be paid. 

If it makes it any easier, just imagine the countless lives and families, that this newspaper has ruined over the years - with their gossip, tittle-tattle and fabrications. 

I hope the Sun is next.  It's another despicable publication.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:03:26 PM »
Dude, if you work in the sports section you probably don't involve yourself in what goes on elsewhere. How could anyone not involved in the darker arts spill the beans without firm facts?

Anyway, it seems that although the staff have all lost their jobs the despised editor Rebeka Brookes keeps her position. That is outrageous. And there are rumours tonight that the "Sun on Sunday" will soon be launched. No prizes for guessing how many on Merseyside will buy that.

But this should change nothing. If anyone buys this new paper they are just putting money into the pockets of the same people responsible for the demise of the NoTW.

Murdoch should be driven out of this country. I just hope the government has the political balls to stop his purchase of BSkyB.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Murdoch should be driven out of this country. I just hope the government has the political balls to stop his purchase of BSkyB.

Unfortunately I can't see this Government doing the right thing. Far too many vested interests and social events at stake. The tail will still wag the dog in this country. And if the other lot ever get back in, ditto.

Any Government in this country will always serve themselves, followed by the party and not the British people.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »
Dude, if you work in the sports section you probably don't involve yourself in what goes on elsewhere. How could anyone not involved in the darker arts spill the beans without firm facts?

but ASI, the overlap between say sports and gossip is hard to overlook.

look for example at ashley cole, rio ferdinand, paul gascoigne, or wayne rooney.

look at all the dirt dug on them, these past years, by the media.

if you're in the sports section, you cannot turn a blind eye to the latest stuff about cole or ferdinand, emanating from your colleagues at the next desk. 

every man and his dog just about accepted these breaches of privacy, because seemingly that was the way things were done.  The media, or sections of it, seemed to operate above the law.  No-one questioned it. 

That day is done.  In the modern age, the new battle is the one for the respect of privacy.  Hacking of your phone, or your computer, by big business is not on.  It is illegal - not to mention immoral in most cases.  Such breaches would result in evidence that would never be permitted in a court of law.

the law is now being applied - as it should have been done years ago.

And re job losses......how many other newspapers closed down, because of the immoral way Murdoch competes (selling papers for 1 or 2 pennies, to drive out competition). 

I still miss the likes of the Today newspaper.   And tho I do not approve of it's politics, we are going to miss the Guardian, if it succumbs (it is making big losses).

Why should the majority of the media have to compete with other papers who deploy criminal reporting activities.  It should be a level playing field for all newspapers.  The media should have set of rules that apply to all.

I see stories of Murdoch starting the Sunday Sun (or Sun on Sunday).  I hope the public's venom keeps up.  I want to see the assh*le out of Britain.  For me, it is not a case of merely Murdoch not being allowed to buy the rest of BSkyB...I don't want him to own ANYTHING in the UK.  Like many of the detestable foreign owners of football clubs in england - Murdoch should not be allowed to ever own anything again in the UK.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »
There's already a very long standing Scottish paper called the Sunday Sun. Let's see if Murdoch muscle's his way to that title.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »
I have seen that paper, Tes.  Good point - he might be tempted to try and buy that one.

But really, I think his goose is cooked.  I see the Sun as being next in the firing line.  The name Murdoch is now enough to put anyone off.  His brands are nearly untouchable now.  The advertisers are terrified of being seen anywhere near him.

one point just emerging on twitter, re destruction of evidence.......hope it ain;t true.

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2011/07/07/is-murdoch-free-to-destroy-tabloids-records/

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 10:31:23 PM »
but ASI, the overlap between say sports and gossip is hard to overlook.

look for example at ashley cole, rio ferdinand, paul gascoigne, or wayne rooney.

look at all the dirt dug on them, these past years, by the media.

if you're in the sports section, you cannot turn a blind eye to the latest stuff about cole or ferdinand, emanating from your colleagues at the next desk. 

every man and his dog just about accepted these breaches of privacy, because seemingly that was the way things were done.  The media, or sections of it, seemed to operate above the law.  No-one questioned it. 

That day is done.  In the modern age, the new battle is the one for the respect of privacy.  Hacking of your phone, or your computer, by big business is not on.  It is illegal - not to mention immoral in most cases.  Such breaches would result in evidence that would never be permitted in a court of law.

the law is now being applied - as it should have been done years ago.

Dude, I really can't comment about things I have no experience of. But to brand all journalists who work at the NoTW because of the actions of a few is not right or fair. I suspect that as far as recent revelations go only a few very close to the editor knew what was going on and let's not forget some of these hacks were 7-8 years ago.

And re job losses......how many other newspapers closed down, because of the immoral way Murdoch competes (selling papers for 1 or 2 pennies, to drive out competition). 

I still miss the likes of the Today newspaper.   And tho I do not approve of it's politics, we are going to miss the Guardian, if it succumbs (it is making big losses).

Why should the majority of the media have to compete with other papers who deploy criminal reporting activities.  It should be a level playing field for all newspapers.  The media should have set of rules that apply to all.

I don't see the Guardian folding. First I've heard of it and I'm sure the Telegraph would have mentioned it. The news industry is tough. Murdoch will have it tough for quite a while. He may be terminally damaged in this country. Time will tell. It's harder for newspapers these days because people can just read the news online. If you're going to bash Murdoch for selling newspapers for pennies you might as well bash all newspapers and the BBC who provide free online news. It's just how the times are.

I see stories of Murdoch starting the Sunday Sun (or Sun on Sunday).  I hope the public's venom keeps up.  I want to see the assh*le out of Britain.  For me, it is not a case of merely Murdoch not being allowed to buy the rest of BSkyB...I don't want him to own ANYTHING in the UK.  Like many of the detestable foreign owners of football clubs in england - Murdoch should not be allowed to ever own anything again in the UK.

It's going to be the "Sun on Sunday". How long it takes to get into print who knows. But the public aren't daft. If the editor is Rebekah Brooks people won't touch it in any numbers and more significantly, advertisers will be reluctant to jump back into bed with any new paper.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 11:58:30 PM »
Brooks won't be the editor. She's moved on to bigger things within the organisation.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 02:33:29 AM »
Dude, I really can't comment about things I have no experience of. But to brand all journalists who work at the NoTW because of the actions of a few is not right or fair. I suspect that as far as recent revelations go only a few very close to the editor knew what was going on and let's not forget some of these hacks were 7-8 years ago.

I don't see the Guardian folding. First I've heard of it and I'm sure the Telegraph would have mentioned it. The news industry is tough. Murdoch will have it tough for quite a while. He may be terminally damaged in this country. Time will tell. It's harder for newspapers these days because people can just read the news online. If you're going to bash Murdoch for selling newspapers for pennies you might as well bash all newspapers and the BBC who provide free online news. It's just how the times are.

It's going to be the "Sun on Sunday". How long it takes to get into print who knows. But the public aren't daft. If the editor is Rebekah Brooks people won't touch it in any numbers and more significantly, advertisers will be reluctant to jump back into bed with any new paper.

ASI, we will have to agree to disagree.

I personally find Murdoch to be a monster.

These past 20 plus years, he has decimated the British media.  He has lowered the bar immeasurably of UK society.  He has ruined the political environment.  His newspapers have cajoled, bullied and used the most underhand measures imaginable.  He has been very divisive.

And what he has done in the UK, he has been doing in other countries too.  The US political spectrum is now red and blue.  My american friends tell me that this is a new thing, of recent years.  Republican v Democrat is now like a boxing match.....red v blue.  The political environment has been poisoned. 

200 or so journalists will lose their jobs at NOTW.  I imagine many will be retained at the new 7 day a week Sun on Sunday. 

The tears that I shed are for those in other media organisations that have been closed down, because they could not compete with the illegally obtained exclusive stories that the NOTW obtained. 

The Guardian has been struggling now for a few years.   There has been talk of it possibly having to close the printed edition and go online (using a paywall). 

http://www.mindfulmoney.co.uk/?lid=4965

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/guardian-to-cut-jobs-after-16335m-loss-2298699.html

The tears that I shed are for the newspapers that went out of business, due to Murdoch launching price wars, with specifically that aim in mind. 

The tears that I shed are for the tens of thousands of victims of this piece of dirt.  I see tonight that the police are quoting there are approximately a potential 4,000 victims to date. 

What we are talking about here is not some rare one-off case of phone tapping.  What we are talking about is systematic industrial level scale phone hacking.  And the police are now saying that email/pc hacking may also be involved.

These are crimes of immense magnitude.  Old court cases will now probably have to be reopened.  Parliament has been lied to....as has the press watch-dog.  The royals have been hacked.  The leaders of the govt have been hacked.   The British army's handlers of the top agent within the IRA, known as Stakeknife, may have been hacked. 

This was systematic behaviour.  This was criminality on a scale previously unheard of before.

Coulson has been thrown to the wolves, in the past 48 hours.  And the closure of the NOTW is another attempt to curtail the fire.  But it isn't enough.  We need to see Brooks and James Murdoch in jail too.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:44:39 AM by the dude abides »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:22 AM »
The NOTW should be put out of everyone else's misery once and for all...

It was Tes wot did it...