November 12, 2019, 09:18:33 PM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 258802 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »
News gets better. Gervihno sent off, will surely miss Liverpool game.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »
Still laughing at your suggestion in another post that it was Ed who caused the riots.   ;D ;D ;D

I reckon Ed's thread was the subtext for the masses to begin the revolution.

Millions waited with bated breath for Ed to give the nod.   
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 10:20:37 PM »
One things for sure we are a million miles from where we were this time last year.

In so many ways. Whatever happens this season, I'm still just enjoying that fact.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamKl-su8PE&ob=av2e
 :P

As they've sort of faded from the scene maybe they should be re-named The Lost Prophets.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 10:28:04 PM »
Ayala gone to Norwich. Hopefully that frees up some more cash.

As they're a Premier League team, hopefully we've had the foresight to insert a 'buy back' clause, in case he flourishes in this league, and at the very least, a sell-on clause. We've been on the wrong end of sell-on clauses enough times, so it's about time we started benefitting from them, and with the increased revenue from a stadium as far away as ever, we need to tap every source of income possible.

Apparently Villa had a sell on clause when they sold Cahill, which is one of the reasons Bolton are holding out for so much. It's the reason Pennant cost over the odds as Arsenal had one with Brum, and Roma get 5% (I think it's 5% from memory) if/when Aquilani is sold.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:32:11 PM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »
If Kuyt's on the pitch it's his, otherwise agree Adam's got a good record.

exactly.

Kuyt takes today's penalty, and we are sitting here tonight with three points.

been saving it for my end of term report, but Kenny needs to keep Suarez's ego in check.  He's only one cog in the team.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 10:42:16 PM »
As they've sort of faded from the scene maybe they should be re-named The Lost Prophets.

or the Lost Plasmas

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 02:46:47 AM »
Looks like we're not out of pre-season yet!

Maybe needed a game or two more....

Surprised Suarez started....not so much in terms of todays game but
unless he's looked after and used wisely, I can't really see him running
about at the end of April. I think Kuyt would have been a better option.

The other strange one, imo, was Flanaghan ahead of Kelly (tbh, the right side
was a bit of a mess, in particular for the goal.....but how the hell Sunderland
got the cross in with 3 of our lads out there is also a bit of a mystery!).

Whether or not to buy a back-up striker before the end of the window is
an interesting problem too i.e. who the hell would we get on the cheap with
a good bit of experience?

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 11:36:33 AM »
Ok just seen the highlights...
surprised to see henderson..but he played well for half the game...
suarez played well too...despite the pen..
ref was appalling..as usual...you can really see that same judgement at old trafford....pathetic...carroll's goal was a certain goal...
downing looks like a welcome addition as does enrique and adam...

as for their goal...it was a good one...but he wouldn't have got a look in if he'd been marked..that will come to flannaghan in time and with extra experience.....
we played the ball round nicely at times...and considering we had meireles, kelly and kuyt on the bench all well and good...where's maxi btw?
nice to see such a strong squad..a cb would still be nice though...

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 03:29:49 PM »
Chelsea are getting desperate. They have now restorted to needing ray wilkins giving torres man of the match in an attempt to boost his confidence. He was sharper for chelsea today but no motm performance.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Re 'Flannagan's mistake': Over the years listening to ex pros talk about defending in the back four (whichever position they played) they are taught to move across or forward as a unit. So like yesterday, when Carra got dragged across more to the left of the goal as Agger was across with Enrique, Flannagan will be instructed to move to the left also, essentially covering the position Carra would have been in.
Essentially the back four move as though they are each connected by an equal length of rope around their waste.
Obviously, that has it's flaws, like yesterday, when Flannagan 'in reality should have' moved to the right to get just in front of and goal side of Larrsen. Experience will teach him when to do what's being coached and when to do 'what's required', if they're not one and the same thing.     

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
Arsenal 0  Liverpool 2

end to end stuff.  Arsenal had no final product.  Whatever Wenger has been putting in Ars.ehaven's soup, the lad is an entirely different entity to what he bought.

carroll goes on to further prove my initial thoughts.....way way over priced.  On the ground, technically poor to average.  Carroll reminds me of a Duncan Ferguson lite.   Is Kenny's grand master plan all about pumping balls into the box?  Maybe Carra has a future in the side after all. 

As always Kuyt is da man.  He (like I have said a hundred times) would always be my first name on the team-sheet (along with Reina's).  I am also a massive fan of Moreless.  If we had played our best lads in the first game, we'd have 6 points tonight.

And Maxi is another superb player....great technically.  He needs to start getting games. 

Good victory today in London.  It's always hard to go there and win.

Well played lads. 

Poor Arsene though.  From what I saw today, and at newcastle, (not to mention last season), I think he's in his final season at Arsenal. 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:55:44 PM by the dude abides »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »
Has to be said...an excellent result...11 years since we last won there in the league is no mean feat...
sure the arsenal were on the ropes but how many times in the last decade have we not finished teams off?
I was glad kelly got the nod and with enrique on the other side things are looking decidedly promising...
using suarez sparingly is another good sign as i for one want him fit as a fiddle all season with no signs of burn out...
agreed with dude that maxi needs a run out...even as a sub...otherwise he'll be wanting to nip off in the transfer window...looks like aquilani is off for 2 quid or so...i concur with tes over the bad bizness there as we should hold out for a kings ransom and yet we're likely to get a pauper's shilling...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:14:35 PM by barticus »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »

carroll goes on to further prove my initial thoughts.....way way over priced.  On the ground, technically poor to average.  Carroll reminds me of a Duncan Ferguson lite.   Is Kenny's grand master plan all about pumping balls into the box?  Maybe Carra has a future in the side after all. 

And Maxi is another superb player....great technically.  He needs to start getting games. 

Whenever we have the more 'technical' players on the pitch, the decision to sign Carroll (or anyone of his ilk) seems increasingly baffling.
The alleged £40M + Sturridge deal would have been the better option to take, imho. Then again, I've hated the target man setup since the beginning of the eighties. Like hipster flairs, it should have remained in the 70s. We have Don Howe to thank for that, which makes the Arsenal fans 'hoofball' chant all the more ironic (or make an equally apt word from 'more ironic') .