February 28, 2020, 12:08:26 AM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 284012 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #1815 on: May 12, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
Except Mourinho won back to back titles and back to back Uefa Cup and CL before even being Chelsea manager. So the comparison to him and Rodgers is non sensical.

But I'd love Roberto Martinez definitely.

My wish list would be either Klopp, Martinez or Bielsa.*

*I don't realistically see us attracting Pep Guardiola, thus he's not on my wish list.

You are right Ed mate, but still bigger names than him (back then) entered the PL only to fail so in that sense I maintain PRIOR to his appointment the feeling it was a gamble wasn't that unfounded. Oh, the luxury of hindsight an'all.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 12, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
Any foreign manager entering the PL (or Pub league giving it's rightful name  ;D) by defination is a gamble, as the nature of the PL is different to any other league.
Mourinho excelled at the PL, but fell short in the CL. His time in the PL is a shorten mirror of Taggart's time. Considering his (Taggart's) number of league wins, his CL record isn't that great.

Conversely, Rafa excelled in Europe but always fell short in the PL, 08/09 being the exception, not the rule.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 13, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
Any foreign manager entering the PL (or Pub league giving it's rightful name  ;D) by defination is a gamble, as the nature of the PL is different to any other league.
Mourinho excelled at the PL, but fell short in the CL. His time in the PL is a shorten mirror of Taggart's time. Considering his (Taggart's) number of league wins, his CL record isn't that great.

Conversely, Rafa excelled in Europe but always fell short in the PL, 08/09 being the exception, not the rule.

Try to sell that fact to the Dude!  ;D
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 13, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
Our lineup for today;

Carra skippers the final game of the season.

Starting XI : Doni, Kelly, Carra, Agger, Johnson, Shelvey, Henderson, Downing, Maxi, Suarez, Carroll

Subs : TBA

Its frustrating to think that Coates is at the club a season, we still dont know if hes up to the rigors of the Premier League but Carragher whos almost done is still getting game time like this simply because of sentimentality. Arrrrrrrrrrg!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 13, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
How generous of Kenny to provide Kuijt with a starting place in his final game. But hey, why show respect to one of our most loyal players in the last 20 years? This man HAS to be sacked for the sake of everything this club's supposed to stand for!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 13, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »
Great to see us finish the season in style.  ::)

And as a 3rd team Man City proved again it is possible to buy the title. Indeed the end of the game as we know it.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 13, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
Its frustrating to think that Coates is at the club a season, we still dont know if hes up to the rigors of the Premier League but Carragher whos almost done is still getting game time like this simply because of sentimentality. Arrrrrrrrrrg!

But....but.....but........it's Carra.............

Juan, this is one of the reasons some of us are less than impressed with Dalglish. We've been very obviously out of the race for fourth for a fair number of matches. Matches which should have seen us preparing for the future (Coates) instead of indulging the past (Carra).

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 13, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
Try to sell that fact to the Dude!  ;D

when you have to wheel and deal, in the lesser known areas of the market, you are not gonna be often winning leagues.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 13, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »
Tens of millions of pounds to drop two positions and finish below the wealthy and mighty Everton. FSG must be chuffed with their return on investment.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 13, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »
I am still unsure about Ballangue's stuff this morning.    I think FSG are playing their cards close to their chest.  Kenny has to go.....every man with a brain can see that.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 13, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
congratulations Man City!!!!!!!!!!   ;D

bloddy ell.....what a scary day of action......and then they score two goals at the death to take the title out of the clutches of Utd.     Utd threw an 8 point lead away in the final weeks....unheard of.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 13, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »
20 million doesn't get you much these days

Stewart Downing's dire season – no goals, no assists in 36 Premier League appearances

sur-fecken-real

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 13, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
20 million doesn't get you much these days

Stewart Downing's dire season – no goals, no assists in 36 Premier League appearances

sur-fecken-real

But we have discovered he's better than Kenny thought he was. So well worth every penny.  ;D

Our Summer budget will probably be around Stewart Downing nett. The good times just keep a rolling.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 13, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »
But we have discovered he's better than Kenny thought he was. So well worth every penny.  ;D

:D

yes, and the muppets worship his every word.

if Kenny says, feels or thinks it, it is gospel.

the liverpool way, was based on honesty and forthrightness........calling a spade a spade.    Kenny's Way is based on endless bul.l.she.ite   (a poorer man's Houllier, when it comes to bul.sh.ite.)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 13, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »
i think the most important thing is that once we join the cult of Kenneth that we have to stand by him no matter what...
yes he's brought about our lowest league position since 2005....and yes that was the year that rafa won the champions league but so what? all that fancy dan qualification for that europe footie is all very well...but ultimately where does it get you besides the top?
And before that? the last time we ended up 8th??? 93/94 under souness...another brilliant player turned not so good manager...can i see a theme here????
sure we had the lowest home scoring record since 1903...but that's just numbers and they can be ignored...

and sure we had to rely on fulham losing to make sure that we maintained our glorious record of never finishing below 8th in the modern era...but thats just statistics...

and so what that we end up below our local city rivals, Everton who have spent nowt and who have never spent 120 mil in their entire history let alone a few insane months last summer??

That our lord Kenneth doth not taketh up the mantle from ye olde last season and doth offereth a bunch of old a.rse supposedly played 'the liverpool way'TM...is irrelevant....that he is consistently out of his depth is not of import...

through the wind and the rain etc...we must support our leader....i now realise this and shame on thee who remaineth doubtful....

so apart from tactics, woeful spending, useless management and a distinct lack of football nous...what possible reason should we doubt our lord?