April 03, 2020, 08:18:06 PM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 296803 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
Dude, I'm not saying I agree with the purchase. I'm just trying to explain why I think they bought him.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »
We bought in haste, we can now repent at leisure.

Dude who is repenting? A handful of fans that havent given Carroll 5 minutes to show what hes capable of?

We are two games into the season and you are already writing a player off who is still relitively new to the club. You often talk about how the game has evolved for the worse and how fans these days want instant success. You havent given Caroll any time at all. Had his goal against sunderland stood as it should have he would be two games in and off the mark. I can accept having concerns that a new player may not be worth what was paid but I dont accept condemning a player without at least giving him the benefit of at least one full season.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »
Well said Juan. Carroll can't have played any more than 10 games for us yet.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »
Tbh, I probably agree with most of what Dude is saying, Yes there was no need to rush out and spend the dough and with the benefit of hindsight, one could easily argue that, Hell, if we wanted a young, English, big Lummock of a forward we could have gotten Conor Wickham for £8 million....

But at the same time, I'm with the lads when they say he hasn't played enough (or with the different options that we now have in attack) to be able to make a judgement one way or the other....besides, he caused City big problems last season and we're only 2 games in.....

As long as his attitude is ok and he's working for the team, I'm happy enough at the moment.....

Fergie has no problem sidelining Berbatov and playing a teenager and substiting him with a £7 or £8 million pound striker...Torres has hardly being prolific since we sold him (maybe it was a brave move to lose him)...it's a funny old game

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 01:05:17 AM »
Dude, I'm not saying I agree with the purchase. I'm just trying to explain why I think they bought him.

oh, I know, ASI.   :D

and I'm merely saying that that 35/36 million was obviously burning a hole in our pocket.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 01:22:05 AM »
Dude who is repenting? A handful of fans that havent given Carroll 5 minutes to show what hes capable of?

We are two games into the season and you are already writing a player off who is still relitively new to the club. You often talk about how the game has evolved for the worse and how fans these days want instant success. You havent given Caroll any time at all.

Juan, it's easy to spot a player's technical ability very quickly.

In the air, the lad is great.  Hey, Kevin Keegan said Carroll was amongst the top three headers of a ball that he'd *ever* seen in football.  I am not sure I would go that far.  But Kevin knows a lot more than me, and has been around the lad a lot more....so his opinion holds considerable weight.

On the ground, technically speaking, I am bitterly disappointed. 

Hey maybe, 15 to 18 million might have been a fair bet.  But the reality is that the lad is the most costliest British footballer of all time.  Indeed, he is the eighth most costly footballer ever to have played the game.

For that type of money, I want someone that is unmarkable.  I want someone who has technical ability that is second to none.  I want a Bergkamp.  I want someone with a decent turn of speed, or a significantly unique characteristic.

You don't have doubts that we have spent our money badly?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
Hey maybe, 15 to 18 million might have been a fair bet. 
Imo, Big clubs don't get hung up on individual decisions there's a bigger picture for
clubs like United, Chelsea, Man City and us.

In any given window if a manager snaps up a kid for £1 million who turns out to be worth
£50 million and buys a £30 million guy who's rubbish.....what difference does it make, it's
not Tescos where you can bring the product back, say you're not happy and get your money
back. Transfers are an unpredictable business, some work, some don't. Should we just do
nothing and wait 10 years until all outcomes are clear and then buy a time machine for £100 million?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »
Imo, Big clubs don't get hung up on individual decisions there's a bigger picture for
clubs like United, Chelsea, Man City and us.

In any given window if a manager snaps up a kid for £1 million who turns out to be worth
£50 million and buys a £30 million guy who's rubbish.....what difference does it make

just over a year ago, we were 350 million pounds in debt. 

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »
Dude ive already admitted that I do have my doubts about carroll but for me nows not the time to judge. Some of your favoured players like lucas ad kuyt would proably not be at the club now were they judged so quickly.

I can accept your points, i just think you dont think youve given carroll enough time to find his feet. Should torres have been sold by chelsea on the back of his 18 game barren spell. Or mario gomez for munich. He was being offloaded by bayern after a huge transfer fee but hes finally found his feet.

He may not prove to be technically gifted but then again he may score 15 or 20 league goals and surely that would go along way to repaying the transfer fee if we finish in the top 4.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
just over a year ago, we were 350 million pounds in debt. 

But we're not now! We got rid of 2 players Babel & Torres, who weren't performing
for us, and brought in 2 players Carroll & Suarez & broke even on the deal.

Maybe Suarez would have been a flop like babel (Both from Ajax), it's difficult to know.
Carroll, imo, is as yet unproven....Anyway, I'm not getting hung up about it, I'm pleased
that we acted decisively in the transfer market...This clip, sums it up for me Shanks on
Busby and signing players "Courage, Never Afraid to Dabble"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmqbKBl22CA#t=1m39s

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
Not sure how many of you are currently watching the game but apart from Suarez's bullet like shot we've been pretty poor.  No disrespect to Exeter but we should be out of sight.....seriously!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
Not sure how many of you are currently watching the game but apart from Suarez's bullet like shot we've been pretty poor.  No disrespect to Exeter but we should be out of sight.....seriously!

I watched it Gurdeep. We did enough to win which is all we were ever going to do. Suarez looked sharp and so did Henderson bar the embarassing dive for a pen. Skrtel is rusty hence the penalty but he'll get up to speed. Carroll's goal will help his confidence. Yes, he's a big lad and not the fastest around but he's good in the air and has a good shot. I'll take that.

These games are potential banana skins. I'm pleased we got through without embarassment although the problem with Raul took the shine off the game.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »

Didnt get to see the game, just caught the goals.

In the end it doesnt look like its being a bad night apart from Meireles injury. I really hope that puts an end to any hope of Meireles going. Earlier in the summer I would have accepted Kennys reasoning for selling Raul but I think he could be more of an important player than KD thinks. He adds an important element of creativty and fluidity.

Definitely think more positives than negatives taken from the game Skrtel, Wilson 90 minutes although Skrtels tackle for the penalty was poor. Carroll gets more match fitness takes his goal well. From the clips I saw Suarez looked like he ran the show. Wrap him up in cotton wool, he looks like being central to any success we will have this year. Now that Fabregas and Sanchez have signed for Barca I hope they dont start looking at Suarez as next years replacement for Villa. Otherwise the tapping up should start when the transfer window closes.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
Didnt get to see the game, just caught the goals.

I hope they dont start looking at Suarez as next years replacement for Villa.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/SA76VcY/First_Half_-_CC_-_Exeter_v._Liverpool_-_24-08-11.avi
http://www.fileserve.com/file/bAku7XU/Second_Half_-_CC_-_Exeter_v._Liverpool_-_24-08-11.avi
Cough, cough...LOL  :)

Yeah, I think it'll depend on how we do this season (Champion league place, trophies etc.)
and what sort of Quality we aim to bring in next Summer, plus a wee contract re-negotiation
perhaps  ::)

His agent is Guardiola's brother, I think  :'(

Disaster that we have to use him at such an early stage in the Carling Cup (Ngog?? Strange,
maybe he's on the move...). But these are the times we live in and the trophy cabinet needs
some love imo.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2011, 01:48:28 PM »
Cheers for the link Ed.

Agreed re Suarez, its a pity we had to use him so early but going forward if we do bring in another striker he might be used more sparingly.

Glad to see that we had a strong enough side out too. Your right in the sense that whatever we win it is time to start winning trophies again even if it starts as the Carling Cup. I think another thing our strong side shows is that our squad is alot stronger than last year. We could possibly put out two decent teams now, a mix of youth and experience in both. And no matter what peoples opinion of Gerrard is having him back will further strengthen the team again. Looking at centre mid we could play so many pairings and still look strong. What I'd love to see this year is Johnson getting a chance in front of Kelly down the right. Even if its in the Carling Cup. Its an option Im not sure why Kenny hasnt tried yet. Otherwise Kelly starts every day of the week for me over Johnson at right back.