February 18, 2020, 12:33:55 AM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 281155 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
Couldnt agree more Tes.

During the summer most of us agreed it was going to take more than one or two transfer windows to fix the problems at hand. In fairness to Kenny and Comolli they probably did 3 transfer windows work this summer. We will continue to edge forward. Getting to 5th or 6th in the league is the easy part, making 4th 3rd and beyond is where I see it being slow progress. Thats why Im also surprised at the levels of criticism towards some of the new players already. For me the difference between the squad of players and the football being played between this season and last is huge. The teams still not the finished article though so I think it needs to be given time and support. If a player flops they flop but fans should give the players at least a chance to be a success. By that I mean at least a full season.

Exactly Juan and even though Chelsea may have another new manager, the bulk of the squad have consistently played together for several seasons, and it shows.

We are building in a steady and sustainable way and the overhaul of the squad in one window has been amazing. We now have a great base laid and will be able to add fewer players going forward meaning fewer players needing to gell together at any one time. We have half a new team with two other players who've had only half a season with us, and in Andy Carroll's case not even that, at least not on the pitch.

Thankfully Shankly wasn't manager in the internet age.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2011, 11:47:04 PM »
Exactly Juan and even though Chelsea may have another new manager, the bulk of the squad have consistently played together for several seasons, and it shows.

We are building in a steady and sustainable way and the overhaul of the squad in one window has been amazing. We now have a great base laid and will be able to add fewer players going forward meaning fewer players needing to gell together at any one time. We have half a new team with two other players who've had only half a season with us, and in Andy Carroll's case not even that, at least not on the pitch.

Thankfully Shankly wasn't manager in the internet age.

Very true Tes. We are now getting to the position regarding the playing staff that United were 5,10,15 years ago.. We can stop worrying about bringing in quantity and start buying quality. Aside from the financial dominance United have been able to bring in the Rooneys, Van Nistelrooys, Ferdinands for years now because they havent needed a squad overhaul every summer.

Even in the Meireles case Im glad his futures been sorted although I would have liked if he stayed. At least now though the situations been dealt with, we arent looking to offload an unhappy player in January. We have an extra 12 million in the coffers and who knows maybe that will be used towards buying the likes of Hazzard. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2011, 11:29:48 PM »
Very true Tes. We are now getting to the position regarding the playing staff that United were 5,10,15 years ago.. We can stop worrying about bringing in quantity and start buying quality. Aside from the financial dominance United have been able to bring in the Rooneys, Van Nistelrooys, Ferdinands for years now because they havent needed a squad overhaul every summer.

Even in the Meireles case Im glad his futures been sorted although I would have liked if he stayed. At least now though the situations been dealt with, we arent looking to offload an unhappy player in January. We have an extra 12 million in the coffers and who knows maybe that will be used towards buying the likes of Hazzard.

It's a shame about Raul. Good players are always useful but players who want to be at the club are much more useful.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »
Always like playing Spurs

Here's a link to some classics:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/sep/16/joy-of-six-spurs-liverpool

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
saw that article this morning, Ed.

Brought back memories of that great Terry McDermott goal. 

I would love to have seen that 1978 team.

Tho I was lucky enough to see the August 1979 team.....3-1 at Anfield v WBA.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
I would love to have seen that 1978 team.

Totally, Dalglish's second goal is an example of what made that team great, imo.

Dalglish, tries a shot, misses...
Souness there to pounce...
Case has filled the space where Souey would be...

Attacking in waves...

Anyway, Spurs are due a good beating by us! LOL :)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »
excatly, Ed....attacking in waves....a sea of red.

sadly for us, the modern sky premiership era brought in capitalism and the ME ME ME era, and our communist (with a small C mind said Bob Paisley) style era was over.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
So can we turn around our recent mediocre record against Spurs, especially at 'the Lane'?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »
probably not. 

I hope Suarez can get amongst them.  If Spurs can keep him quiet, we are in problems.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
Should be a fantastic game....

Midfield battle (Lucas) is key, imo. If we can keep Parker & Modric quiet, then
the only thing we have to worry about is Bale on the wing, which is a
worry, imo, if we're not solid at right back.

I think that we have enough options going forward to cause them problems,
Downing, Suarez, Carroll & Kuyt (It'll be a bit different to Stoke with their 8
defenders in the box!). Hopefully, Adam can ping some balls around the park
and stretch them at the back. Good opportunity also for Henderson to make
his mark ahead of Stevie G's return (which I'm looking forward to, because
we're nowhere at the moment in the centre at the edge of the box).

Big, big game for Spurs though so.... C'mon Lads!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »
I'll settle for a 1-0 however it happens. This is one of those where the result matters more than the performance.

I fancy a slice of humble pie courtesy of Andy Carroll. I've got the custard at the ready.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2011, 02:46:07 AM »
I'll settle for a 1-0 however it happens. This is one of those where the result matters more than the performance.
Agreed, after the defeat to Stoke, win is vital imo, need to put some daylight between
us and Spurs & Arsenal. Worry about the top 3 later. Don't care who's shin it comes off!

An early test of character...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »
At this stage this game has make or break written all over it. However, if we lose and then go on a 12-13 games unbeaten run no one would remember this game. But again, losing today while the Mancs beat Chelsea this season would be over already as far as the title goes. Not that we were in it in the first place realistically but the psychological effect of being knocked out of the title race this early would deffo be a blow.

As was stated above a win regardless of how would be sweet, but even sweeter would be a clear cut win in style. Then we would truly send a message we're going places.

I'm so nervous it's not healthy. Isn't it our turn to win there? Last season we outplayed them for most of the game before silly defending cost us two goals. And 3 years back we completly played them off the park yet they got away with two lucky goals.

Come on you redmen!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »
At this stage this game has make or break written all over it. However, if we lose and then go on a 12-13 games unbeaten run no one would remember this game. But again, losing today while the Mancs beat Chelsea this season would be over already as far as the title goes. Not that we were in it in the first place realistically but the psychological effect of being knocked out of the title race this early would deffo be a blow.

As was stated above a win regardless of how would be sweet, but even sweeter would be a clear cut win in style. Then we would truly send a message we're going places.

I'm so nervous it's not healthy. Isn't it our turn to win there? Last season we outplayed them for most of the game before silly defending cost us two goals. And 3 years back we completly played them off the park yet they got away with two lucky goals.

Come on you redmen!

Martin, I don't see anything, whether negative or positive in terms of the title this season. We need to be realistic and forget about it in any context this season.
Two seasons outside of the top four tells it's own story and brings a whole array of issues that need addressing.
It's easy to fall out of the top four and much harder to break back in.

So we need to look at who we are likely to be competing with for fourth. Spurs and Arsenal over the length of the season are the obvious contenders with maybe one other either staying the course or emerging out of the pack post January.
This weekend therefore is by far the biggest and probably prove to be in the top three in terms of importance in the context of our whole season. We have a chance to pick up three points on both our rivals in the same weekend.

The games against the Mancs are irrelevant as far as our season goes other than they being 6 points to gain and the twin by-products of bragging rights and us doing what we can to stop them going two ahead of us in titles won.

The last two seasons have simply accelerated the demise our club has been going through ever since Moores became chairman and Souness was appointed manager.
Only now are we in a position to start the long haul back, and it is a long haul, as we are years behind the teams we would like to be competing against in terms of finance and club structure.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
I hear what you say tes and I think you're very sensible. I'm just saying altho most of us realise how unrealistic any talk of the title is, it nevertheless may effect our chances to reach 4th if we fall too far behind the pacesetters. If that make sense in Swenglish, I don't know.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.