October 21, 2020, 01:33:54 PM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 351659 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »
I find myself in here, like old Blighty in 1941 against jerry, a tad isolated on this issue.

I find it difficult to comprehend the defeatist approach. 

Surely, given the massive amount of money we have spent this year, we are entitled to dream of more than just scrambling for fourth spot - especially given that our supposed rivals like Spurs have spent peanuts in comparison. 

There is something badly wrong if we accept the title race is over for us in September.  Something very badly wrong.  Maybe we have been in the behold of Manchester for too long - the Stockholm Manchester Syndrome - where we have been brainwashed into thinking that this is the normal course of events.

For goodness sake we have spent an absolute fortune this year.  We get most of our key targets.  And it cost us some 112 million quid bringing in Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Doni, Charlie Adam, Jose Enrique, Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing and the South American lad, Coates. 

No, I disagree with you peeps (mind, I love you all..and we will drink beer and make merry on future issues).  If we spend this volume of money, and accept that we are merely fighting for fourth (and that the title race is over in September), then there is something badly wrong here.

We've had 20 years of excuses.  And this season is the biggest whopper of an excuse that I have ever heard at Anfield. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2011, 02:07:46 PM »
35mins in v thfc.  Absolute dire performance by LFC. 
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
Kuyt, for reasons only known to Kenny, is on the bench.  Dirk would be always my first name on the teamsheet - especially in a game like this, away from home, against a top rival, where hard work and closing down is key.  Unless the lad is carrying an injury, this is a helluva mistake.

Bale is making hay down that left side. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
This team's going nowhere with Lucas a regular starter. He's the 3rd most experienced player on the pitch yet he offers nothing, absolutely nothing. Same with Henderson, he may be young, he may need time to settle in but the last time I checked it's the players for the club not the other way round.

I'm starting to get critical of Kenny to be honest. It's so naive to think we can play this game without Kuijt. Also, wasn't it written all over Spurs would start the game in a furious tempo, so why the fork don't we adjust to that?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »
Why did we start with 2 up front away from home against a decent side? That's asking for trouble with Spurs dominating midfield.

Superb Modric goal but we're giving them too much space on the ball and aren't closing them down at all.

Carroll offers next to nothing. We needed the extra man in midfield but now that we're down to 10 he'll have to go and Kuyt to replace him.

Unlucky not to equalise but Suarez was offside. He needs a bloody good slap after his yellow for dissent. The team have lost their shape and discipline. The riot act needs reading!!

Only 1 down so we could salvage something if Kenny sorts out tactics. This could be his big opportunity to show us he's a good tactician.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
2??? This was 4-3-3 IMHO. Extremly naive and asks alot about Kenny's tactical knowledge.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2011, 02:35:24 PM »
what frustrates the hell out of me, is that we have a superb set of top class players.

they are just very poorly organised/deployed.

the way this team is organised, top 4 is a pipe dream, it is more like a top 6 finish we will be aiming for instead.

kenny's inadequacies are patently obvious. 

a top class manager, like rafa, would excel with this luxury of resources to call upon.

can you imagine the blitzkreig the media would give a *foreigner* like Rafa, if he had spent 112 million quid this year and the club were as badly organised as this.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:38:12 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
Defoe and Adebayor's our best players missing sitter after sitter. No changes at halftime. That's fornicating criminal.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »
defoe missed an absolute sitter at the start of the second half.  Reina stood routed to his spot, expecting the net to ripple behind him.

the miracle is that Spurs are not out of sight by now.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »
But they soon will be keeping Henderson and Carrol on the pitch, keeping Kuijt and Bellamy on the bench.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
Down to 9 with Sktrel off. Suarez needs replacing with Bellamy but whilst we're only 1 down and Spurs are wasting chances there's still a chance.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »
Me and my big mouth!!! 2-0.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
Well done Skrtel. Well done Kenny. Well done Liverpool. 4th yer havin a larf?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
There's a lot of talk about how good a squad we have so what about Skrtel, Lucas, Henderson, Downing, Carrol? Some 90-100 million worth of mediocrity I say.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
Thank God Kenny's name not Roy Hodgson or the knifes would already be out. In my book Kenny has a lot of work to do to regain my confidence. Too many basic errors like last week. It's not a knee jerk reaction but I can't see us get better than 6th this season really - too many poor decisions this far.