April 05, 2020, 07:21:42 AM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 297074 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »
Well said Juan.

And after this weekend's results we're 2 points off 4th.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:56:15 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
Thankfully the season's finished. Now we can sack everyone and start again. BTW, what position did we finish in?

We forget about it, hopefully the players learn from it and we move on to our next trophy hunt, The League Cup (sponsored by Walt Disney's most famous character).
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2011, 11:08:08 PM »
our next trophy hunt, The League Cup (sponsored by Walt Disney's most famous character).

Walt Disney wtf did he know and as for Mickey Mouse.... Rubbish, Absolutely Useless!
Donald Duck is another one who was never good enough and don't get me started on Goofy  ;D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »
Good call Dude. A few early morning beers will see you right.

I love the hysteria on here after a result like today. Martin you come across as the Roman Abramovich of football supporters. When we play a bag game its like the end of the world and your solution is to sack half the club. This has been our first bad performance of the season. And to compound our misery we got 2 deserved red cards. It didnt make for pretty viewing but I still think its far too early to be condemning players and making sweeping generalised statements like a certain player isnt up to it after 5 games in. I have no problem with people questioning the managers tactics or a players performance or contribution to the team in a game but lets not be shortsighted here. The squads been overhauled. It looks likes its going to take some time to find its rythm but until such time has passed that the squad has had a chance to settle together lets be a bit objective with our criticisms. Abusing Carroll, Henderson, Adam 5 games into a new season is not giving those players a sporting chance to succeed. Like the travelling fans at White Hart lane we should be getting behind the players especially the newer ones, not tearing them to pieces every chance we get.

How can you say it is too early? Carrol's been here for over 6 months, Downing's played regurarly in the PL for well over 6-7 seasons plus he cost 20 million for a reason - instant impact, Lucas' been played almost every game for the past 3 seasons but you'd think this was his first game in the PL ever - no development at all. The fact he ain't as crappy as he used to be doesn't make him as good as people for som spurious reason have him to be. Skrtel's been here for what 3 seasons now, a liability then a liability now.

I ain't saying we're crap through and through, just we still carry a lot of deadwood that would never make it into any of the other top-6 team's squads. And as long as we keep on harbouring deadwood Like Lucas and Skrtel and play them regurarly it's gonna be like it's been for the past 2 decades. A good run here and there but never able to challenge for it full stop.

Add to that Kenny wouldn't know his best XI even if it jumped up and bit him in the bottom. I am not sure at all giving underperforming players game time for the sake of it is a good strategy to break back into the top-4. I thought GH and Rafa was conservative when it came to changing the game from the dugout. Unless he finds his best XI and stick with it all this buzzing will yet again prove what we're the true champions of - talking our selves up.

Oh, and btw who said anything about sacking anyone? I realise I probably sound like the pain in the backside I am, but the players and staff have talked them up all summer like we're on level with the big teams. Then we act like boys at the first hurdle. Utterly disappointd at that, and at Kenny's inability/reluctance to turn to plan B when plan A failed. Sorry for the negativity but this defeat will haunt us for a while. Draw Wolves, then defeat agains in-form Everton and the reigning champions and we won't be that much better, or worse, off we were a year ago.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:04:45 AM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2011, 01:47:54 PM »
How can you say it is too early? Carrol's been here for over 6 months, Downing's played regurarly in the PL for well over 6-7 seasons plus he cost 20 million for a reason - instant impact, Lucas' been played almost every game for the past 3 seasons but you'd think this was his first game in the PL ever - no development at all. The fact he ain't as crappy as he used to be doesn't make him as good as people for som spurious reason have him to be. Skrtel's been here for what 3 seasons now, a liability then a liability now.

I ain't saying we're crap through and through, just we still carry a lot of deadwood that would never make it into any of the other top-6 team's squads. And as long as we keep on harbouring deadwood Like Lucas and Skrtel and play them regurarly it's gonna be like it's been for the past 2 decades. A good run here and there but never able to challenge for it full stop.

Add to that Kenny wouldn't know his best XI even if it jumped up and bit him in the bottom. I am not sure at all giving underperforming players game time for the sake of it is a good strategy to break back into the top-4. I thought GH and Rafa was conservative when it came to changing the game from the dugout. Unless he finds his best XI and stick with it all this buzzing will yet again prove what we're the true champions of - talking our selves up.

Oh, and btw who said anything about sacking anyone? I realise I probably sound like the pain in the backside I am, but the players and staff have talked them up all summer like we're on level with the big teams. Then we act like boys at the first hurdle. Utterly disappointd at that, and at Kenny's inability/reluctance to turn to plan B when plan A failed. Sorry for the negativity but this defeat will haunt us for a while. Draw Wolves, then defeat agains in-form Everton and the reigning champions and we won't be that much better, or worse, off we were a year ago.

I say its too early because four of the players that started the game for Liverpool yesterday only just arrived at the club in the summer and two more of the players are only here since january. Two of the substitutes used are also summer additions granted Bellamy has been here before. Clearly we are in a rebuilding phase but fans like yourself expect polished, instantaneous title challengers. Theres nothing wrong with optimism, hell admittedly i was harbouring the thoughts of a title challenge at the start of the season even though I knew it was unrealistic.

There no doubt Carrolls form has been poor, he looks more like a 5 million pound striker at the moment than he does 35 million. Hendersons form has been patchy and Adam looks like he needs to be told to start doing the simple things and to stop forcing his game. But that doesnt mean the players need torrents of abuse about how they are not up to the task of playing for the club when it is so early into their Liverpool careers. When you start doing that you risk sounding like a 'sing when your winning' fan who unless the team wins 37 games a season your not going to be happy.

Your concerns over the more established members of the team are fair game. At least they have had the time to settle in and show what they are capable of. I have never been a Lucas fan but yesterday aside I think he is proving an asset to the team. Skrtel on the other hand I tend to agree on. In his defense hes never a right back but he didnt have the brain capacity not to lunge in on Bale while already being booked. Theres no doubt hes capable of playing at a high level in the game but for me his lapses in concentration mean he will never be good enough to win us the league. But aside from Skrtel I cant see the dead wood your refer to and even then I wouldnt call him dead wood.

In relation to Kenny his performance as manager regarding the team and tactics probably hasnt been as good as it can be. We have the benefit of hindsight so its easy for us to say but I think he possibly has tried to integrate too many players into the team at once while leaving some of the better performers from last season like Maxi out in the cold. Maybe the likes of Henderson should have been made earn his place. Again during yesterdays game I didnt see the point in leaving Carroll on when he was dropping back into midfield, he was too slow to make a big contribution. If anything having two players sent off it probably would have been better to stick him in Spurs box so we could lump balls up to him because there was no way we were going to play them off the park.

So all in all we have some new players trying to settle, we have some settled players not playing all that well, we have had some good performances in the first 5 games and one terrible day. Its probably just about where we reckoned we would be. Nobody said we'd win the league. Nobody said we would win every game. What we need to see is progression but while the teams tranisition takes place all Im saying is that we need to show some patience.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:58:30 PM by Juan »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2011, 12:52:14 AM »
Top post, Juan. It never ceases to amaze me how anyone can think you can bring 5+ new players into a team and expect them to gell in less than half a season.
Most of them may have played in the league but none of them have played together so everybody is trying to get used to each other's game and additionally the whole team is trying to adapt to a new way of playing (hopefully).
Even the group that have been at the club a few seasons have not played the style of football we appear to be trying to change to, at least they haven't at this club or together as a group, irrespective of whether they have individually at other clubs or in their national team set-up.

The transitional period won't be just a month or two long and the transition goes far beyond the 90 minutes on the pitch. Foundations are being laid and divisions fused, not least of all amongst the fanbase that had been massively divided over the two previous managers.

I see Dalglish being akin to Cruyff at Barca. Cruyff wasn't fantastically successful, at least not when compared to those who came after him, but his legacy is now well and truly being realised and fulfilled.
Dalglish won't bring us the title, and I have my doubts as to whether he'll see us challenge even, but he'll lay the foundations throughout the whole club, not just the first team, for those who succeed him.

You can't undo 20 years of mismanagement in 12-18 months but solid foundations will be laid on which success will at last have a chance of happening.

Taggart hardly turned the Mancs around in a season and that was before the deluge of £$€ began. 

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2011, 01:02:13 PM »
Good point Tes it took Taggart what 7 seasons to bring the league to OT. Im not saying Kenny needs 7 years but I think it puts things into perspective. Even looking at Man City points to how developing a squad takes time. They didnt have a bad squad under the previous owner. Hughes and Mancini have gone on to spend hundreds of millions in the transfer market, they improved year on year but its only this year that they actually look the real deal and possibly capable of putting in a title challenge (although not guaranteed). Kenny has had 9 months and has spent about 50 million net, we shouldnt be expecting miracles.

As you also rightly point out Tes there is also the style of football Kenny is trying to implement. It takes a certain type of player to be able to adopt the pass and move style of football. We have seen it at times this season, even in last weeks defeat to Stoke. Unfortunatley Sunday everything Kenny had instilled seemed to go out the window.

Im not sure Tes when you say you dont think Kenny can win the league whether you mean this season or ever. I would agree this season is out but I would be far more optimistic about him winning it in the future. In the shorter term I think Kennys got a few big decisions to make. Does he continue to play Carroll or revert him to the bench? Personally I would like to see Carroll start the next 5 or 10 games. He needs minutes on the pitch, he was bought to compliment Suarez and I'd worry for his Liverpool career if hes in and out of the team too much early on. Kenny also needs to make a call on Henderson. Hes not a right winger and hes been played at the expense of the always reliable Kuyt. Downing unfortunately seems to be finding it hard to make an impression. There has been flashes of brilliance but it feels like he hasnt yet settled completely. Brighton itself is going to be a test and probably what we need. They may be lower league opposition but hopefully Brightons start to the championship campaign will sharpen the minds of our players because this game has upset written all over it,

Anyway as I say nows not the time for judging, Kenny and this team deserve the benefit of one full season at least.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:04:46 PM by Juan »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2011, 01:20:27 PM »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Skrtel being blamed for not being able to mark Bale, is like moaning about a chocolate hot water bottle...i mean really what is he supposed to do? I seem to remember one of the best right backs in the world, Maicon had a nightmare with bale for Inter...skrtel was always on a hiding...stupid though for the lunge..

Surprised to see no kuyt against spurs...
given up on seeing maxi, whats he done?

the main problem is a lack of creativity in midfield and like it or not, with aquilani and merieles gone and maxi not being used for some bizarre reason then come back steven gerrard all is forgiven...sure we could play without him when we had cover with merieles but we sure haven't got cover now....

coates should have a full debut on weds night...
as should maxi
and i'd keep carroll playing too...if he's a confidence player then we have to allow that confidence to grow...shave his hair off and put an implant in...worked for rooney so far this season ((in comparison with last)...

not panic stations or end of the world...
but would like to see a bit more variation and imagination in midfield...

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2011, 01:45:36 PM »
Just like the majority of you lot decided Roy was the wrong man after 6 games last season.

well to be fair, the majority of us did follow Roy's advice...he said he should be judged after 10 games and so we did judgeth accordingly...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »
I remember back in 2002 or was it 2003 when it was blatantly obvious GH not only had us going in the wrong direction, he had lost the plot people were going on about how Fergie needet 7, or was it 6 really, seasons to win the title. Now, that's a one off. For every Fergie there's about 2934 managers who come and go. Also, time was a different commodity back then. They hadn't won it for over 2 decades. They were, by and large a mid-table team. They had time, Kenny don't. 2 more seasons without CL footy and our fall from grace will be complete.

Now, I'm not stubborn or unrealistic enough not to realise it takes sometime to get the lads to gel. At the same time, we spent 20 million on Downing. He's had 7-8 seasons in the PL, if not more. Fair enough he's a human eing who needs more time to gel, but settled or not I think the lack of quality displayed or his inability to have an impact on the game suggest those who said we paid over the top may have got it right. Hope he proves me wrong.

As for the more experienced players people say Lucas is an asset. In exactly what sense of that word? That he use his extensive experience to help the team take back the initiative? That he offers leadership when it's sorely missing? Or that he possess such quality he score goals or set them up? I think he gives the team nothing of this. He's had 3 full seasons as a regular to develop and mature and he's failed. I'm not saying he's worthless or crap, just that he isn't good enough to play as a regular for us. Also, when people say he's so damn good I think they compare with how tragically poor he was up until last season, not how good he is in comparison with the best in the game. That's not how LFC fans used to argue.

As been said, I agree it'll take the bulk of this season to get the players to fully gel. Yet after having spent nearly 100 million since January you would at least have wanted to see a smal sign that says we're on the right path. We've struggled against Fat Bruce the last 4-5 years, we struggled at Britannia since the got promoted and we've struggled heavily to get a result at the WHL the last 3 seasons. I for one said when I saw the fixture these two games will be an early indicator whether we're going places or if it is the same old. It's like if we don't have the urge we become pathetically predictable. Some say we were unlucky against Stoke and I guess it would be wrong to say we were lucky. But was bad luck really the key factor in us losing? Wasn't it our inability to surprise, our inability to play direct footy and our inability to score from rather clearcut chances that cost us dearly. Same yesterday. There's been loads of talk about the bonding, about the familyesque atmosphere. Where was it on Sunday? Nowhere.

The next 3 games will be not only difficult but very much shape our season. 1 draw and two defeats and we'll be under constant pressure making it increasingly difficult to develop and gel. Kenny needs to play his best XI, he needs to give the team a realistic chance to win games. No more playing high priced players for the sake of it. If they're not good enough they shouldn't start no matter their value. I'll keep it shut from here.

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
Rather than addressing the present owners, I aim my comments at the fans. 

The club sacked Rafa Benitez FOR THIS fare?  We dismissed the best man in the Anfield dugout since Bob Paisley, the man who despite having peanuts to spend, took us to two CL finals in 5 seasons.  The man who kept us in the CL, season after season.  The man who was always competing for the CL.  The man who created wonderful balance in his teams.  The man who totally destroyed, and took the pi.ss out of Man Utd and Real Madrid, in the same week (4-1 in both games).  The man who, given the resources, was building a bastion of invincibility.

And our allegedly knowledgable fanbase were brainwashed by the little englander London media into wanting Benitez dismissed.  Hodgson or Dalglish were the answer we were told.  Where the hell are these louts at now.  I want to see their faces.  I want to give them a verbal hiding.  Were they Man Utd supporters in disguise?  Or is their football knowledge limited to some Football Management game on their ibox.

We have spent a king's fortune this year, and yet being out of the title race by the third week of September apparently is not a problem.  Not even competing is apparently not an issue.   

Carragher is three years past his sell by date, and yet Kenny said yesterday that there is not one thing he would change about the lad - well how about bloddy pace, technical ability and ball distribution. 

Kenny said, prior to Sunday, that he had total confidence in Skitrail, and that the lad could handle the threat of Bale.  Who in their right mind would come out with that madness.  Bale, at his best, is unmarkable.  Skitrail is not known for his pace, nor is he a rightback.  Skitrail is a good lad, but he is a decent centreback who needs a more skilled/dominant colleague alongside him.  Playing him at rightback against Bale was never anything to be remotely confident about. 

And the icing on the cake was not playing Kuyt in front of Skitrail, to stifle the Spurs threat down that side.  Absolute madness.  Like I said in here at the time, I went to two websites  to make sure that my eyes were not deceiving me - when I saw Kuyt not in the team lineup.  That is football management 101 class.  Basic stuff. 

The Liverpool Way is not about bulls.hitting people.  The Liverpool Way is not about sacking people and bringing in inferior replacements.  The Liverpool Way was rarely ever discussed when we were winning titles.  It gets referred to now all the time by the club when we are never competing for titles.  Let's do our friggen talking ON the pitch, not off it.  The Liverpool Way is about competing at the highest level, for league titles.  The Liverpool Way was correcting issues before fans ever even noticed a problem.  The Liverpool Way was never about endlessly patting oneself on the back, about how great one's summer transfers have been.  I love Rory Smith's columns - but that one the other week about how amazing this summer has been re transfers, was cringeworthy.  We got a lot of poor buys finally moved on, took big losses in many cases (many undisclosed figures for what they moved on for) and somehow this was great.  Apparently potentially recouping 6 or 7 million for Aquilini (having bought him for near 20 million) is good business.  Bizarre.

I hear fans say that the new lads need time to bed-in.  Apparently this will take months, perhaps even years.  Well how come Man City have hit the ground running.  Aguero looks a hell of a player.  And we brought in who - ah yes, fukin Carroll.  Andy fukin Carroll.  35 million quid that we might as well have gone and pi.ssed down the drain.  What bright spark at Anfield figured Andy had the technical ability on the ground, and speed, to play at Anfield.  Somebody needs to own up for this.  And to top it all off, the lad is injured when we buy him.  Have we some fetish for paying over the odds for lads who are injured.  Is it masochism, at a football mgt level.  I do not see United, City, Chelsea or Arsenal spending tens of millions on recruits who join the club carrying long term injuries.  Is this part of the new Liverpool Way.  It's a new one on me.

Kenny will never compete with Fergie.  He will never compete with Chelsea's riches.  He will rarely outwit Redknapp.  He will rarely outwit Mourinhio (if he returns to england).

Sorry for my rant.  I have not cooled down since the Spurs game.  I tried these past few days to think of a worse game, in all my time following the club, and came up short. 

That was the worst ever.  It was more a 7 or 8-nil game.  We got off light with only a 4-0 thrashing.

And let's not be having the blame the ref, or anybody else, deflection tactic.  At least Houllier only started using that tactic a few years in to his reign.  It's sad when it has started so soon under this new mgt. 

The buck stops with you Kenny. 

I have faith in the owners.  I have faith in the playing squad (I think we are good enough to compete for the title).  But I have limited faith in Kenny.  At best, with Kenny given a fortune to spend, we will be top  3 or 4.  Maybe can win an FA or League Cup.  Forget about Europe - tactics are nowhere near good enough for that level.

But let's keep it simple.  The league title is our bread and butter.  And THAT is the Liverpool Way.

Over to you, Kenny.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:52:43 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2011, 05:32:30 PM »
Dude the Liverpool Way is also about patience and supporting the team and manager. Kenny is here 9 months and you have already decided hes not the man for the job. Thats about as far from the Liverpool Way as you can get. I'm not having a go Dude but I am just surprised that so many fans have come to such drastic conclusions five games into the season.

I agree with you on Benitez, I never wanted to see him leave. In some ways he was a contributor of his own downfall with the political infighting. Had he learned when to keep his head under the parapit at times maybe he would be still manager today. Sadly hes not but I think Kenny has to be given a chance.  If he fails he fails but at least he should be afforded a reasonable amount of time to show us what he can do.

You have to give the new players a chance aswell. What good will it do anyone if the fans castigate Carroll? Chances are thats not going to help him regain the form that brought him here. So what else do you suggest, sit him in the stands and flog him for half nothing in January? You point to Aguero but for every Aguero you have a Dzecko or even Torres. Both went for huge money, Dzeko struggled up until this season before hitting form and Torres is still struggling. Carroll needs time. If it doesnt work for him then you will be proved right but at least as a Liverpool fan give him the benefit of some time.

Comparing our start to Man Citys is a very dangerous route to go down. Previously you stated that you wouldnt want our ownership to go down the same route as Man Citys. Well then I think its unfair to compare our start with theirs considering the amount they have spent on transfer fees and wages over the last 2-3 years. What we need to do is look at things with a bit of perspective and rationale. There are 5 games gone and we have 7 points. We are two points off 4th, the position everyone agreed was our realistic aim for this season. As long as we continue to improve and as long as our new players start to bed in I dont exactly see where we are as being a disaster right now.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
Dude makes some good points as do Barticus & Juan, imo.

Bottom line selling Meireles was a Big mistake short term!

I said before the game that the midfield battle was key and we needed to be solid at
right back (These were no-brainers, imo).

So what do we have in midfield, Lucas, Adam & Henderson (Spearing as back-up at the mo).
Neither Adam nor Henderson can tackle imo (I do note here that it took Alonso 2 or 3 seasons
to learn how to tackle effectively). Okay, Lucas can tackle but can be become 3 people and be
everywhere at once? NO!

Tackling out of the way, can Adam and Henderson harry and pressure the opposition effectively
when we don't have the ball. Well, based on the Spurs game, again the answer is NO, imo. Give
him his due, Spearing can do these things...

So can Adam & Henderson retain and distribute the ball away from home (don't even know if Henderson
ever gets the ball, tbh, LOL).

Q.E.D Midfield battle lost...No chance, FORGET IT!

Again to be fair to Adam, I haven't really seen it properly, but I thought he was unlucky with the first yellow card
and really stupid to get the second booking. Are people really surprised by this?? This is his first game
at a massive club away from home to a top side (I'm not including Arsenal in this!). He may or may not adapt
and learn from this...Who knows??

Henderson, what are people expecting here??...He has no experience at a big club and lets be honest very little
actual experience...

So Lucas did his best imo (not his greatest performance, but look what's around him??) and we were outclassed
in midfield by the versatile and experienced Scott Parker and gifted Modric on their home patch.

I accept these facts for what they are...

Is it even worth discussing the right back debacle, ffs, we had NO OPTIONS there and were up against Gareth
Bale away from home.

We started poorly and the midfield and right back issues were instrumental in this, imo.

Compounding our ability to get back into the game we had Agger injured after 20 mins. or something and
Adam sent off after half an hour. Our defence is Skrtel at right back, Carragher (one of the weakest links in the
side at the moment) & Coates (A newbie, barely off the plane) in the centre and Enrique on the left (did his best!).

So what we lacked on the day was any sort of decisiveness or assuredness on the pitch which would certainly
not have been the case if Meireles, Kuyt, Agger, Kelly/Johnson were on the pitch.

Anyway, this post is long enough as is, I'll leave the Kenny & Carroll issues for another day!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2011, 06:31:17 PM »
Does he continue to play Carroll or revert him to the bench? Personally I would like to see Carroll start the next 5 or 10 games. He needs minutes on the pitch, he was bought to compliment Suarez and I'd worry for his Liverpool career if hes in and out of the team too much early on. Kenny also needs to make a call on Henderson. Hes not a right winger and hes been played at the expense of the always reliable Kuyt. Downing unfortunately seems to be finding it hard to make an impression. There has been flashes of brilliance but it feels like he hasnt yet settled completely. Brighton itself is going to be a test and probably what we need. They may be lower league opposition but hopefully Brightons start to the championship campaign will sharpen the minds of our players because this game has upset written all over it,

Anyway as I say nows not the time for judging, Kenny and this team deserve the benefit of one full season at least.

I think the team dynamic changes when Carroll and Suarez play, as opposed to Carroll and Kuyt. I think Downing is more suited to Suarez/Kuyt as we are able to play a more fluid game with more interchange between players and Downing has  this in his game in addition to being an 'out and out' winger.
Maxi needs to be re-introduced at the expense of Henderson. How we line up with a forward four of Suarez, Kuyt, Maxi and Downing is open to opinions.

Alternatively, we have to go with Carroll regardless of form and performance and give him the chance to try to develop and understanding with others around him and them with Carroll.
I think Carroll needs a defined role in the team, which is worked on in training, then everyone knows what's what and who does what and where.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but surely when you have an average centre half playing out of position at right back, and especially against the sort of quality Bale possesses, you need to give him some protection, ie Kuyt.

Also, we had a left back instead of a right back on the bench. Why is that a problem? Well, who out of the starting back four is least likely to finish the game? Probably, Agger.
So we move Skrtel back to centre half and bring on Flannagan, and with Kuyt to help him out we'd be less exposed than with out Kuyt.

It's not a case of 'with hindsight etc', but rather a case of simple logic and a touch of foresight, especially as Agger had yet to break down this season.

Bring on Brighton. Get the team right, and let's have a morale boosting victory. We didn't play last mid-week, so no need to rest too many. Also, they've just lost their unbeaten record at the weekend.