September 27, 2020, 09:22:10 PM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 344069 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »
Dalglish commenting today on Lucas v United

"He's been fantastic this season for us. On Saturday he was a wee bit unfortunate
that I decided to play him after the journey he'd had. It maybe took more out of him
than I thought."

I had a feeling that was going to be the case. The thing about Lucas playing
for Brazil is, given the role he plays for them, he really has to be concentrated
for the full 90 minutes and cover a lot of ground. Given the heat of Mexico + the
amount of travel involved, it doesn't surprise me.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
Dalglish commenting today on Lucas v United

"He's been fantastic this season for us. On Saturday he was a wee bit unfortunate
that I decided to play him after the journey he'd had. It maybe took more out of him
than I thought."

I had a feeling that was going to be the case. The thing about Lucas playing
for Brazil is, given the role he plays for them, he really has to be concentrated
for the full 90 minutes and cover a lot of ground. Given the heat of Mexico + the
amount of travel involved, it doesn't surprise me.

So is he saying he made a mistake? And what about the opinions and input of the sports science and medical people at the club?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2011, 01:37:34 AM »
So is he saying he made a mistake? And what about the opinions and input of the sports science and medical people at the club?

I think what we saw with United on Saturday, is the Options they
have, but even more importantly the seemless nature with which
they can utilise them (how many changes to the first 11 did they
make) and in particular away from home.

We on the other hand have a reasonably strong bench, but our 1st 11 doesn't
stand up to much tinkering. I wondered aloud last week about mixing
it up and swapping Spearing & Carroll in for Lucas & Suarez, making the
argument that we were the home team and should gamble on the freshness
of 2 players that hadn't featured in internationals (perhaps with the option
of introducing Suarez late on). I accept that I was wrong about Suarez, who
terrorised them, but was disappointed with the lack of energy on our part (the
home team) in the first half.

Imo, this is a knock on effect of making so many personnel changes over the
Summer. First we have to wait for a credible first 11 to gel before (injuries aside)
we can even hope to make use of the full squad.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »
I think what we saw with United on Saturday, is the Options they
have, but even more importantly the seemless nature with which
they can utilise them (how many changes to the first 11 did they
make) and in particular away from home.

We on the other hand have a reasonably strong bench, but our 1st 11 doesn't
stand up to much tinkering. I wondered aloud last week about mixing
it up and swapping Spearing & Carroll in for Lucas & Suarez, making the
argument that we were the home team and should gamble on the freshness
of 2 players that hadn't featured in internationals (perhaps with the option
of introducing Suarez late on). I accept that I was wrong about Suarez, who
terrorised them, but was disappointed with the lack of energy on our part (the
home team) in the first half.

Imo, this is a knock on effect of making so many personnel changes over the
Summer. First we have to wait for a credible first 11 to gel before (injuries aside)
we can even hope to make use of the full squad.

Ed, I think it was catch 22 this Summer. The proven thinking is no more than two, or at a push, three new additions at any one time to the 'first eleven', but if we didn't make the extra editions it would probably be looked on as we hadn't done enough to get into the Top Four. That in itself placed extra pressure on the management to make the extra additions as two seasons outside of the Top Four was enough and too many absences from the CL means you lose profile and the ability to attract both the right calibre player and also the right level of sponsorship/partnerships.
The trick is getting the balance right, as too many additions can be as bad as too few.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
Well, that's a nice bed out of the window for yet another game.  Skrtel/Carra combination - will questions start to be asked?

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2011, 07:28:06 PM »
How the f did we not win that game?  Why does every opposition goal keeper have their best game of the season against us?

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »
Still the twin problems of not taking our chances and not being able to keep a clean sheet remain.

Central defence needs investment next Summer. Not being able to field a consistant choice at right back is hardly helping matters either.

The lack of goals throughout the team is going to be our downfall this season. We've let Spurs right back in and allowed Newcastle to get further ahead. We need to improve at both ends otherwise Europa League will be the best we can hope for next season, either that or hope for a collapse or extended run of poor form from teams around us.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
Disappointing as Gurdeep says that the opposition 'keeper was MoTM for the second game running.

But, and this is a big but, we are at least creating the chances. Suarez could have had a hattrick today and the post was their best defender. Plus a Banksesque type save at the death.

I see reinforcements arriving in January. Their goal was bizarre. Johnson, Caragher and Reina all within a wisker of the sole Norwich forward. How many times does that happen?

Disappointing but don't assume that Spurs will have a clean run of wins. There's a long way to go.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 23, 2011, 12:20:31 AM »
Still the twin problems of not taking our chances and not being able to keep a clean sheet remain.

Central defence needs investment next Summer. Not being able to field a consistant choice at right back is hardly helping matters either.

The lack of goals throughout the team is going to be our downfall this season. We've let Spurs right back in and allowed Newcastle to get further ahead. We need to improve at both ends otherwise Europa League will be the best we can hope for next season, either that or hope for a collapse or extended run of poor form from teams around us.

Most frustraing game ive watched in a long while.

At the moment we have 4 players who warrant automatic selection, Reina, Enrique, Kelly and Suarez. Downing also on the left wing by default, lack of any competition. Other than that central defence needs changing, central midfield needs addressing and Carroll needs to be integrated into the team. These 10 minute cameos are putting the lad under more pressure. Give him his game time. surely if hes good enough he'll show it but one things for sure hes not going to be able to silence his doubters and critics sitting on the bench.

An average start to the season has probably now become worse than average. Kenny needs to man up address the issues, start integrating the players like Coates, Carroll and even Henderson who are meant to be the future of the club and stop worrying about how players like Carragher will take to being left out. We arent going to win the league this year, but it would have been a season wasted if come next may we still didnt know if Carroll Coates and the likes were good enough becuase they simply didnt get game time. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 23, 2011, 11:05:16 AM »
A few reflections on a game and a result that will cost us dearly in the naive struggle for 4th.

- Although we started off with high intensity creating a lot of chances, including two hits in the woodwork, the feeling we're the huff'n puff of the PL wouldn't escape me.

- With 25 minutes to go I really could feel we would get a maximum of 1 point from this game.

- Suarez is a diver and need to sort that out, especially as it seems a contagious disease, right Charlie?

- The balance of the team is non-existing, not to say shocking, and this says a lot about KK to be honest. As long as the intensity is there we look a good side. Once it's gone we run around like headless chickens. No structure, no method, no nothing providing Norwich with ample time to organise their own game.

- Our inability to keep a clean sheet need no commenting as it's there for anyone to see.

- Downing is shine-a-light and a huge waste of money. More than anything we need a better scouting system.

- Kenny's a slow learner indeed. 4-3-3 will never work against "lesser" opposition at home. I am convinced a good old 4-4-2 formation is the best way to get the players to know each other.

- WBA away I reckon a point is a maximum for this quite average squad.

- Neither of ManU, ManC, Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham will drop points at home against Norwich. This is exactly why we'll go on a three year run with no CL footy.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
We were all over norwich but until we do the two basic things of defending and hitting the target we'll struggle for fourth...stupid goals conceded

Interesting that the 3 who collided for the goal included johnson and carra...reina went for the ball because he had no real faith in those 2...Kelly for me all the time, johnson to swap with kuyt on the right in the 85th minute o so of every game...
i noticed that maxi and coates were played in the friendly against rangers...didnt see the game...how did they fare?
Downing looks tired as does carra...so need some fresh legs..

the sale of raul merieles now looks insane...when we were just looking like a potential top 4 side..
bellamy was a steal though, as was enrique and suarez...
carroll is still unproven, henderson and adam are good squad players...

balances out i guess...if maxi is never going to play again then play bellamy on the left...where he's always coming from...

drop downing to sub for a few games...play carroll and suarez up front...
with lucas, gerrard and kuyt in midfield...
and with enrique,  coates, agger and kelly in defense...

finally the strikers and midfield need 'shoot at goal' practice...8 hours a day til friday...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »
It's not just the strikers, it's the whole team that looks short of goals.

Enrique needs to close down quicker. The crosser should have been put under much more pressure than he was. Stop the cross and you have nothing further to deal with.

Downing's wild slash was less than amateurish.

Bellamy has to start the next game, Downing collecting splinters and give Maxi a go at trying to re-create his form from the end of last season.

And give Carra a break, whether he likes it or not.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2011, 04:21:54 AM »
It's not just the strikers, it's the whole team that looks short of goals.

Enrique needs to close down quicker. The crosser should have been put under much more pressure than he was. Stop the cross and you have nothing further to deal with.

Downing's wild slash was less than amateurish.

Bellamy has to start the next game, Downing collecting splinters and give Maxi a go at trying to re-create his form from the end of last season.

And give Carra a break, whether he likes it or not.
The game itself, I thought we deserved to win it and there were patches
of mesmeric play. I remember Adam ping a cross field ball to Bellamy who
put it in the box for Suarez.

However, and this is my real point, sometimes with a lot of the neutral
sanitised commentary that goes with games today, (family-oriented waffle)
the bleedin' obvious gets overlooked e.g. 20 minutes in Norwich (ffs) put
15 or 16 passes together at Anfield.

Now, there does reach a point where certain things are completely unacceptable
and that for me is definitely one. You can play all the pretty football you like,
flicks and lovely nearly what ifs....BUT before all that can happen, the fundamental
is, a newly promoted side from the Championsip does NOT do that to you on
your home patch....

Kenny, I love you, but you cannot be serious. Seriously wtf?

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2011, 02:11:17 AM »
Much better! (granted WBA, didn't show much fight)

Still, the logic behind Kenny's team is now much clearer, quality,
youth, experience and energy makes a nice Balance!

Henderson's tracking was much better today (need that, imo,
playing 4-4-2), allowing Lucas to make the key interceptions
further infield (fewer holes). Skrtel, lively and concentrated
(i think, playing with a quicker player like Agger (instead of Carra),
let's them share responsibilities across the back more evenly).
Carrol & Suarez causing problems up front! Enrique immense
(some buy!) & Lucas MOTM, imo.

Mainly though, it was our shape when we didn't have the ball
that was impressive! Clarke is earning his crust on the training
pitch. It just shows, imo, if we work on getting the basics (tracking,
pressuring) right, there's enough quality in the side to create
chances up the other end.

The other thing is, the team really looks like there's a lot more to come
from them. Wonder what Comolli is up to ahead of January? :D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 30, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
Indeed better, tho WBA was surprisingly poor. But then again, you can only beat what's in front of you. I thought we defended very well an didn't give them even a sniff at a semi-chance. That's how you do it!!!

Adam I think had his best game in a red shirt. Also thought we looked more dangerous with Caroll in the team. Well made up for him and he did very well to take that goal.

Suarez can't score to save his life and sometimes it costs us (ManU and Norwich) but sometimes we get away with it as he always have an impact on the game one way or the other.

Henderson and Downing must be considered flops. I know it's quite early and I know Henderson's young an'all, but ffs, they contribute absolutely nothing.

Swansea up then two hard games against Chelsea and ManC. Tottenham's playing well above their genuine ability and also enjoy some luck. They will, just like Newcy, find their true level which will help us. Arsenal's a tad worrying tho.

Oh, and btw, keep that back 4, Kenny. Will you!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:57:32 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.