February 18, 2020, 01:11:33 AM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 281159 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #330 on: November 25, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »
We didn't panic when Chelsea came out for second half.

Good point, though teams that try to integrate so many new players, like we have done, will go through periods of inconsistancy. Ideally, you don't try to integrate more than two new first teamers at any one time, however, it's been a long time since the word 'ideal' could be associated with much at our club.

Our next two games will tell us a lot about where we are and where and with what we are capable of finishing this season.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2011, 10:42:58 PM »
I think a bit too much is been made of this Chelsea win...They
were rubbish in the first half and Pepe made a super save
to deny them the lead in the second...

There were impressive aspects to the win, but I'm not getting
carried away ahead of the City game.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 26, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »
I think a bit too much is been made of this Chelsea win...They
were rubbish in the first half and Pepe made a super save
to deny them the lead in the second...

There were impressive aspects to the win, but I'm not getting
carried away ahead of the City game.

Are any of us getting carried away before tomorrow? Only a fool would. It will be a tough match but here's an interesting stat. City have only kept 4 clean sheets in their 12 games. They rely on scoring (obvious I know) but our defence is as tight as theirs so it won't be easy for them.

I'll be disappointed if we don't win. I always am irrespective of the opposition. But after the Spurs and Chelsea wins today we really need 3 pts to keep in touch with the top 4. I still think Ballotelli is a potential weak link with his temprament. How I'd love Bellamy to wind him up. And the crowd needs to do its bit. The atmospheres haven't been good at recent home games.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 26, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »
Are any of us getting carried away before tomorrow? Only a fool would. It will be a tough match but here's an interesting stat. City have only kept 4 clean sheets in their 12 games. They rely on scoring (obvious I know) but our defence is as tight as theirs so it won't be easy for them.

I'll be disappointed if we don't win. I always am irrespective of the opposition. But after the Spurs and Chelsea wins today we really need 3 pts to keep in touch with the top 4. I still think Ballotelli is a potential weak link with his temprament. How I'd love Bellamy to wind him up. And the crowd needs to do its bit. The atmospheres haven't been good at recent home games.

Agreed we need a win, don't care how we get it!
Agreed the crowd needs to be like Napoli were!

I agree that we have a reasonable defense at the
moment, Enrique has slotted in nicely and doesn't
fear anyone, Agger's a good centre half and offers
us something for corners and bringing the ball forward,
Skrtel has, imo, improved under Dalglish & Clarke,
Lucas is generally solid as a rock and can play
against the big teams. Johnson though...?? lol that
lad can't defend, imo.

Dunno, wouldn't under-rate Balotelli, he scored a
cracker against United.

Anyway, we're the home team and I think that's one
of the secrets playing against City... sustained aggression! :)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 27, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
Decent result today considering City's start to the league season, but don't you just have that nagging feeling of 'if only...............'.

Wherever Stewart Downing left his composure in front of goal he needs to get himself back there and retrieve it. He's been lashing at shots all season when composed placement would have seen him with two or three goals to his name.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2011, 07:43:49 PM »
I guess you'd have to be pleased to see us totally outplay the pacesetters for 60 minutes, yet I can't help but feel that Kenny's coaching yet again cost us dear points.

I was heartbroken to see Henderson start for us. Furthermore I was extremly disappointed to see us start with a 4-5-1 formation at home. Kompany was lucky to score and so was Charlie. Yet it remains a question whether Kenny's the right man for us. One third into the season there's no genuine progression to be identified. One could say our away stats is better this term with a few decent wins to WBA and Chelsea. However, as long as our homerecord echoes that of Bolton or Wigan we can just dream of a top 4 finish.

Until Kenny realise what's his best starting XI we'll continue to drop silly points. I think it was a criminal decision to keep the inept, backwords-passing, "don't pass me I don't want the ball", too inexperienced Henderson at the expense of Kuijt. Also, Downing really was another misbuy. Good thingy Kenny's last name isn't spelled Hodgson or he'd be lynched.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
Decent result today considering City's start to the league season, but don't you just have that nagging feeling of 'if only...............'.

Wherever Stewart Downing left his composure in front of goal he needs to get himself back there and retrieve it. He's been lashing at shots all season when composed placement would have seen him with two or three goals to his name.

I thought it was a good performance against a very talented Man City team. We contained Man City very well throughout while always looking dangerous ourselves. Our passing was sharp with exception of a few stray passes that could have cost us from Adam and Enrique. I thought we used little triangles very well. Adam really looks as if hes starting to believe hes good enough for a club like LFC and if Lucas could maintain that sort of consistency nobody would question his place.  I often felt Dirk can slow our play down but today I thought his movement with the ball was excellent.

Maxi was very unlucky not to be in the starting line-up and until Downing proves himself Maxi deserves to start. I also think Henderson needs to earn his place in the starting eleven. He is going to be a great player for us in the future but Im not sure he deserves to be starting just yet.

Glad to see our back 4 is becoming settled although I think we could improve the team even more by bringing Kelly into defence and pushing Johnson in the right mid.  All in all disappointing we didnt win but a good performance and starting to look like the pass and move approach is being adopted well again. Now to start  beating the lesser teams............

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 27, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
I guess you'd have to be pleased to see us totally outplay the pacesetters for 60 minutes, yet I can't help but feel that Kenny's coaching yet again cost us dear points.

I was heartbroken to see Henderson start for us. Furthermore I was extremly disappointed to see us start with a 4-5-1 formation at home. Kompany was lucky to score and so was Charlie. Yet it remains a question whether Kenny's the right man for us. One third into the season there's no genuine progression to be identified. One could say our away stats is better this term with a few decent wins to WBA and Chelsea. However, as long as our homerecord echoes that of Bolton or Wigan we can just dream of a top 4 finish.

Until Kenny realise what's his best starting XI we'll continue to drop silly points. I think it was a criminal decision to keep the inept, backwords-passing, "don't pass me I don't want the ball", too inexperienced Henderson at the expense of Kuijt. Also, Downing really was another misbuy. Good thingy Kenny's last name isn't spelled Hodgson or he'd be lynched.

Martin I would expect Kenny and the team would kick on from the last two results. Our football looks to be improving again. Kenny probably made the mistake of not making the new players work harder for their place but hopefully hes learned and we can go on a decent run now. We are well placed and if we can start winning games we will be in with a good shout for fourth.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 27, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »
Juan comes closest to my view of the game but I can't believe no-one has mentioned Harts' saves near the end especially the one from Carroll.   :o

Considering City have mauled several teams this season including Manure I think we played really well after the first 20 mins. City can consider themselves lucky to go away with a point. Yet again, the oppositions best player was their 'keeper.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »
Yet again, the oppositions best player was their 'keeper.

:D I was trying to forget that point, ASI, as it's becoming a rather too regular occurrence at Anfield this season.

I guess such a famous ground either has a cowering or inspiring affect on players, especially goalkeepers.

Nice to see Joe Hart's applauding of the Kop and their reaction.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2011, 11:04:47 PM »
:D I was trying to forget that point, ASI, as it's becoming a rather too regular occurrence at Anfield this season.

I guess such a famous ground either has a cowering or inspiring affect on players, especially goalkeepers.

Nice to see Joe Hart's applauding of the Kop and their reaction.

The Kop have always been appreciative of good football. It's what makes our ground different to all the rest.

Just watched the highlights on MoTD2 and I forgot Hart's save from Adam in the first half. Yes Tes, it is exasperating that visiting goalkeepers play so well against us but we should also remember Pepe played well too. A couple of times I thought he had lost it but the delaying tactics against Silva were superb allowing time for 3 defenders to man the line.

If Silva had been ours how much stick would be have got from this forum?

Carroll, Maxi, Bellamy, Carragher, Kelly, Robinson, Flanaghan should all have a good chance for Tuesday's game. Hopefully the rest will have some energy available.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 28, 2011, 02:09:47 AM »
Happy enough  :D

Lucas MOTM, stood up to them all afternoon, can't ask for more than that!
(Actually, bit premature here, but the Lucas-Henderson partnership looks
a mouth-watering prospect for the future. I can see midfield dominance
there!). Reina, awesome again!

So yeah, delighted with the team performance, it has to be a team at the moment
because we're short in one or two areas still! I think we get away with playing
Johnson at right-back because Kuyt and Lucas do a covering job and to be fair
Glen gives that extra dimension going forward (makes up a bit for what Kuyt can
lack on the wing sometimes!) and has a sweet enough touch for a defender!

Similarly, I think one of the main reasons why Carroll is on the bench (ok, GOALS!)
is because he gives us nothing in terms of pressuring high up the pitch. He's a
classic target man and, to be frank, has more to be worrying about at the moment!

Why I'm happy is because, it's clear there's enough character and quality in the side
and there are options on the bench to tweak things if needed.

I'll be gutted if we lose to Chelsea, but c'mon, it's a big ask to expect a result away
against quality opposition (Kenny needs to channel Rafa for this one methinks!)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 28, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
Martin I would expect Kenny and the team would kick on from the last two results. Our football looks to be improving again. Kenny probably made the mistake of not making the new players work harder for their place but hopefully hes learned and we can go on a decent run now. We are well placed and if we can start winning games we will be in with a good shout for fourth.

Hmm, not sure I agree with this. We struggle enormously to score and it ain't just down to bad luck. Also, we always tend to carve out decent results against the top sides. So I'm not that convinced our footy's improving. I want us to go on a 5-6 game winning streak before I believe it, and then I'm not talking about the ususal run in April when we're trailing the pacesetters by 20 or so points.

I agree, however, Henderson and Downing is getting more games than they deserve. Even my manc mate called and said he was impressed by us playing virtually with one man down for the entire game. + I don't think playing Suarez alone upfront will win us a single game this season. Every time Kuijt got into a more forward position we created a chance. Still doubt whether Kenny's right for us.

Forgot to mention I was mighty pleased and impressed by Lucas. Finall he stepped forward and took responsibility together with a great performing Adam (tho he was a tad reckless with the ball the first half hour).
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2011, 10:12:12 PM »
Also, we always tend to carve out decent results against the top sides.
Yeah, this is terrible, we need to stop doing this....Losing against
the top sides is the clearest way forward  :)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 29, 2011, 12:56:32 AM »

If Silva had been ours how much stick would be have got from this forum?

In his defence it came at him from the wrong side for a left footer (coming from the right and letting it go across your body and then striking it is an easier technique than striking it when it comes from the same side as the foot you'd strike it with) and it was slightly into his feet rather than a touch in front, but as you say, ASI, Pepe was superb in delay and distracting him. Super keeper sweeper.