February 25, 2020, 09:56:17 PM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 283234 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #345 on: November 29, 2011, 02:56:22 AM »
In his defence it came at him from the wrong side for a left footer (coming from the right and letting it go across your body and then striking it is an easier technique than striking it when it comes from the same side as the foot you'd strike it with) and it was slightly into his feet rather than a touch in front, but as you say, ASI, Pepe was superb in delay and distracting him. Super keeper sweeper.

I think the thing is that we now have people on the pitch who can
make a difference in pressurised situations: Reina, Lucas, Agger &
maybe Enrique spring to mind. City are the top team in the division
at the moment and it's guaranteed (despite their setback against Napoli)
they would have walked all over a lesser team. Silva's a class act
who would normally have put that ball away in his sleep. It's a
measure of the difficult afternoon he was having from our lads that he
hesitated and made the wrong decision.

It's been nice having Carra & Gerrard out for one reason, because this
time (for the first time) players are stepping up.

Let's be honest about it, Henderson can't tackle at the level required
in the Premier league yet (neither can Adam, imo). What was great
about yesterday is that Henderson got a game because (as far as
I can see) Gerrard and Bellamy were out. That's the way it should be.

What Jordan did yesterday is, he did his best, put pressure on the opposition
high up the pitch. That's enough at this stage from him (anyone who's seen the
level at which Lucas now plays may remember he couldn't tackle and didn't know
where to position himself when he first started out with us).

The point is you can coach tackling and positioning and a lot of it comes with
experience. BUT YOU CAN'T REALLY COACH WHAT HENDERSON HAS, HIS NATURAL
ATHLETICISM. The only question about him is whether he is mentally tough
the way Lucas is.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 30, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
Liverpool's Lucas fears scan will reveal cruciate ligament injury

Andy Hunter Wednesday 30 November 2011 19.22 GMT

Liverpool are anxiously awaiting the outcome of a scan on Lucas Leiva's knee, amid concerns the influential midfielder could be out for the rest of the season.

The Brazil international was carried off on a stretcher minutes from the end of Liverpool's Carling Cup quarter-final victory at Chelsea on Tuesday night, following a collision with Ryan Bertrand. His manager, Kenny Dalglish, refused to speculate on the extent of the injury after the 2-0 win, and the 24-year-old is not expected to have the scan until Thursday. However, Lucas, who remains on crutches, fears he has suffered serious damage to the knee and that he faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines. His season could be over if the scan confirms a ruptured cruciate ligament and a six-month recovery period.

Lucas's form and reputation has been transformed at Liverpool in the past two seasons and his loss would be a major setback to Dalglish, as his side look to build on two impressive wins at Stamford Bridge in nine days plus the encouraging home performance against Manchester City on Sunday.

Far from the maligned figure of Rafael Benítez's final year in charge at Anfield, Lucas is now recognised as an invaluable member of the Liverpool team and has been virtually ever-present under Dalglish. With Steven Gerrard absent with an ankle problem, and not in line for an imminent return, plus Alberto Aquilani on loan at Milan, the possible long-term absence of Lucas would heighten responsibility on his fellow midfielders Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson and Jay Spearing to maintain Liverpool's pursuit of Champions League qualification.

With numbers potentially light in central midfield, Liverpool have taken the precaution of recalling Jonjo Shelvey from his successful loan spell at Blackpool. The 19-year-old scored six goals in nine Championship appearances for Ian Holloway's side, including a hat-trick in the 5-0 defeat of Leeds United, but has returned to Anfield as a consequence of Lucas's injury.

The Blackpool manager said: "Obviously this is a setback to us as Jonjo has done ever so well in his short time with us. We knew that Liverpool had the recall option on him and it is only the unfortunate injury to Lucas that has prompted them to take this course of action."

Holloway has not ruled out re-signing Shelvey on loan when the transfer window reopens. He added: "We will be in regular contact with Liverpool about trying to bring him back in January should Liverpool's injuries clear up."

If it is an ACL injury he's definately out for the season and could be a doubt for the start of next season depending on the severity and how his re-hab pans out.

Seeing as we were short of depth (at least for long term cover), we really need to look for a replacement in January.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2011, 08:48:22 PM »
Its such a pity about Lucas.

I have never been his biggest fan but he has really stepped up a level in the last few games especially. Hes worked hard to get to his current level of performance so lets hope if he is sidelined for a long while that his road back isnt a long one.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 30, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »
Is Jay Spearing up to the task? Short, controlled aggression and keen. If not then I'm struggling to think who else could fit that role.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 30, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
Is Jay Spearing up to the task? Short, controlled aggression and keen. If not then I'm struggling to think who else could fit that role.

That's the problem. Adam isn't as defensively capable as Alonso was, Shelvey isn't really a defensive midfielder or at least that not his primary strength, so it leaves Jay Spearing. Hard working, yes, but does he have the positional awareness or the physicality to be the defensive mainstay of the midfield. I think we need to look to January to fill the hole and try to get there with the damage limited as possible.

Dalglish's biggest test so far will be solving this puzzle.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 30, 2011, 10:02:20 PM »
Tes, I'm not disagreeing that a January replacement may be required. But Spearing could do a job until then I'm sure. Agreed Adam and Shelvey aren't that kind of player.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
Tes, I'm not disagreeing that a January replacement may be required. But Spearing could do a job until then I'm sure. Agreed Adam and Shelvey aren't that kind of player.

Aurelio has also played there for both us and Valencia, so there may be an occasional option there.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 30, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Spearing has done well whenever hes played since Kennys come in.

Aurelio maybe cover for left back but i dont see him as a midfield enforcer. He'd last less than two games in the role before he would be on the treatment table himself.

To buy or not to buy in january? Maybe its time to see whose available on loan. Is Flamini still getting a game at Milan? How about that Danish guy Poulsen ............. :P

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 01, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
Lucas out for rest of season, according to the Beeb...
A major setback, imo. F  U  C  K  :'(

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 01, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
Either Spearing or Henderson can do a job there. Whether they'll do as good a job as Lucas has only Kenny and Steve will know.

I like Jay as he's a terrier-type player who will never let go of a bone. And being short helps him to twist and turn quicker. He's not dissimilar to Masch in that respect.

Henderson is better in central midfield but I wouldn't know if he could break up play. It's all well and good going into the transfer market in January for a quality player but what happens to that player next season when you would expect Lucas to get the nod?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 02, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
Sad about Lucas but we shall rise from adversity!

How about playing Coates as defensive midfielder?? He's got a good passing range and er...can defend!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 02, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »
Sad about Lucas but we shall rise from adversity!

How about playing Coates as defensive midfielder?? He's got a good passing range and er...can defend!

I see him more as a central defender than a midfielder but I'm open to persuasion. Tall players tend not to end up as holding midfielders. Mikel, Masch et al are all medium sized presumably so they can twist and turn and close down quickly.

I still favour Spearing and as Kenny has come out and said today he's not looking to buy in the Jan window it looks to be either him or maybe Henderson.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 02, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »
Is Flamini still getting a game at Milan?

That's a very interesting shout, Juan.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 02, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
It's all well and good going into the transfer market in January for a quality player but what happens to that player next season when you would expect Lucas to get the nod?

It would add strength (ala when John Wark could only get a game from the bench) but it could also block the way for Coady. Pointless having an acadamy if we don't use or trust it.

On balance I think we should go with what we've got, and haven't we already got enough new players finding their way this season.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 02, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »
Pointless having an acadamy if we don't use or trust it....On balance I think we should go with what we've got, and haven't we already got enough new players finding their way this season.
Precisely and I agree that we should promote from within.
Cheers,
Ray