October 29, 2020, 04:42:24 PM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 355139 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #360 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »
Precisely and I agree that we should promote from within.

All the players that have been mentioned are all pretty much settled at the club and have spent a good amount of time working with the management and coaching staff. There's a huge risk that if we were to bring in someone to 'cover' Lucas that they make take the half a season to settle and adapt, leaving us worse off.

There's a big chance for some or someone to make a name for themselves/himself.

With Spearing's form since Dalglish's arrival, it would be unfair on him to be overlooked and not given the chance. Also it sends out the wrong message to the academy lads, especially after seeing Flanaghan and Robinson trusted when were short of fit players last season.

I hope whatever plans have been set for January don't get altered. We should be looking to simply more than the next six months, afterall Lucas is only injured, he's not left the club.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 03, 2011, 12:32:17 AM »
I hope whatever plans have been set for January don't get altered.

I think thats exactly what will happen Tes or not happen in this case. I dont think Kenny will sign anyone to replace Lucas unless its on loan or they are a long term transfer target. I expect this squad will continue to evolve. The likes of Shankly, Paisely always attempted to strengthen the team and squad no matter how good the team may have been and i think thats what Kenny and Comolli will attempt to do.

One person I think that has to be worried about future transfers is Carroll. Although he continues to struggle I dont necessarily think thats what he needs to be worried about but moreso the teams style of play as he struggles. I dont doubt his ability, if hes given a decent run in the team im sure he will score goals. From what ive seen so far though questions are starting to be asked about the ability of himself and Suarez to develop the partnership we had hoped. We look far more threatening when we have someone quick like Bellamy playing up front with Suarez. Carroll definitely gives us a different option but unless his mobility improves he may struggle to hold a place down in the team with the style we are playing now. Its okay to be sitting on the bench for a bit now but if Carroll still isnt a regular starter 6 months down the line sure it will be a problem for himself and the club. A young lad with his talent needs to be playing in a side every week. I like Carroll as a player and I hope he can prove himself at Liverpool but I just wonder is there a nagging doubt in the back of Kennys mind about how hes going to consistently fit him into the team. Hopefully it turns out not to be the case, last season against Man City from their point of view he was unplayable.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »
Andy Carroll would flourish in a team that aspires to play a certain way and would build a team around his strengths. I'm sure Roy Hodgson, for example, could 'do a Bobby Zamora' with him, but unless a much bigger club 'does a Purslow' it will never happen.

Capello leaves in the Summer, 'Arry takes over Ingurland and Levy, tired of financing chequebook managers appoints Roy. Levy gives Roy Andy Carroll as his one time indulgence.

Sometimes, certain clubs are just wrong for certain players and I think this is the case with Carroll.   

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 05, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »
No Maxi, no Kuijt, but Henderson you can bet your bottom is starting + the not good enough Spearing. If Kuijt, Maxi and Downing is available surely he's gorra find a better line-up than that. More points dropped. No point harping on about how you hate to draw games when you don't give the team preconditions to do better. No 4th with Kenny. Soz, but it has to be said and it's not primarily down to this being a transitional phase an'all that crap, we just don't have a manager who can separate his best side from his bottom. So fed up. With Henderson, Carrol and Spearing in the team we're effectively starting the game with 9 men.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:12:28 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 05, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »
No Maxi, no Kuijt, but Henderson you can bet your bottom is starting + the not good enough Spearing. If Kuijt, Maxi and Downing is available surely he's gorra find a better line-up than that. More points dropped. No point harping on about how you hate to draw games when you don't give the team preconditions to do better. No 4th with Kenny. Soz, but it has to be said and it's not primarily down to this being a transitional phase an'all that crap, we just don't have a manager who can separate his best side from his bottom. So fed up. With Henderson, Carrol and Spearing in the team we're effectively starting the game with 9 men.

If Spearing doesn't replace Lucas, then who does? Agree with you about Maxi, though. He can be a source of goals and his movement and link up play with Luis is excellent.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 05, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »
Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, Henderson, Adam, Spearing, Bellamy, Carroll, Suarez.

Subs: Doni, Maxi, Coates, Kuyt, Downing, Carragher, Kelly.

With the movement of Suarez and Bellamy, Henderson and Adam have plenty to aim for. They need to work it between them which one gets forward to support the font line.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 05, 2011, 08:01:22 PM »
Disappointed Maxi doesn't get a start but there's more than enough quality to get a result there tonight. Too much negativity on this forum!!  >:(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 05, 2011, 08:26:57 PM »
Disappointed Maxi doesn't get a start but there's more than enough quality to get a result there tonight. Too much negativity on this forum!!  >:(

Three words for Martin - 'Hicks and Gillett'. Shudders.

Carroll missed a good chance, but he was there to miss it, which is always a good sign.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 05, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
The ref needs to realise that football is a contact sport (just about). He's giving some very soft 'fouls'.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 05, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Spearing's done fine so far. Henderson needs to pick it up though and there's still too many 'hopeful passes' up to Carroll.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 05, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
Can't believe we haven't scored. Thought Carroll's was in and then the same for Henderson's. Maxi on after 60min if we haven't scored.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 05, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »
Can't believe we haven't scored. Thought Carroll's was in and then the same for Henderson's. Maxi on after 60min if we haven't scored.

Carroll was reaching a touch but if anything still got too clean a contact. A bit more of a scuffed shot and we may be in the lead. Henderson did well driving at the defence, yet again the post defeats us.

Spearing needs to watch the runners and needs more help from Henderson and Adam, especially with Dempsey coming in off the flank at times. Whoever plays alongside Spearing in midfield needs to understand it's a combined effort replacing Lucas. Spearo's kept possession well, moved the ball quickly and has been accurate in his passing. Like Lucas has had, Spearing needs games and he will grow into the role. We have to remember he is very inexperienced at this level.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 05, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »

Agreed ASI on both points.

Maxi must feel hard done by but we can win this. I think the football we are playing going forward is at times quality. Some lovely pass and move stuff.

What is a little concerning is how open we have been on occasion. Spearing has struggled in midfield and they need to stop getting cut open so easily. Not sure if its the fact that Lucas is not playing but its been too open for us.

So far the Carroll enigma doesnt look like being solved. Like we said before he doesnt look like he fits in to the style of football we are trying to play. Its nothing to do with his quality or effort. At the moment it looks as if we would be more effective with someone quick and mobile playing in place of Andy. Even if he were to score the winner here tonight Im not quiet sure how Kenny will resolve this one.

I reckon 2 second half goals for Liverpool.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 05, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
Too poor quality in the last third, but hey the guys who could make a difference is on the bench.

Tes I'd much rather see Henderson in the center instead of Spearing.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 05, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
Henderson's defensive awareness of the opposition's movement around him is poor and he seems reluctant to put his foot in. He needs to watch DVDs of Alonso and Hamann to see you don't need to be a 'blood and thunder' type to effectively defend and 'take' the ball off your opponent.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:29:55 PM by Tes »