February 19, 2020, 03:59:04 AM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 281494 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #465 on: December 18, 2011, 04:34:25 PM »
Agreed. We haven't hit any headlines by knocking in 6 or 8 but then again we haven't 6 like some I could mention. We haven't conceded more than 1 in a game since 18 Sept at Spurs. Continue with that defensive form, add another striker in Jan and things will get even better.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 18, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
The post should be the first through the door when the January window opens. No, pace, no technique, no movement. Justs lets the ball hit it and bounce off. 17 attempts no goals. Useless. Just useless.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 18, 2011, 04:42:53 PM »
I think its easy to praise the likes of Bellamy, Suarez etc because their contribution is so telling at times but four player that I think deserve a huge amount of praise are Johnson, Skrtel, Agger and Enrique.

I've often been critic of Skrtel and Johnson especially but both players are playing very well within this newly formed defence. Without Carragher Johnson doesnt seem to get caught out as much. Skrtels partnership with Agger looks rock solid and he seems less error prone at the moment. Long may it continue.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 18, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »
The post should be the first through the door when the January window opens. No, pace, no technique, no movement. Justs lets the ball hit it and bounce off. 17 attempts no goals. Useless. Just useless.

Lol does nothing for team morale, always just sitting there pulling a face.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 18, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
The one person who may be worried by the return of the transfer window is Carroll.

I have no criticism of his play today, he didnt exactly have alot of time to do anything of note. However the more I see of him the more I think that his attributes dont match what is required to play up front for us in this team. 

Would Kenny take 20 million for him if he was offered it in January?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:54:05 PM by Juan »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 18, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
The one person who may be worried by the return of the transfer window is Carroll.

I have no criticism of his play today, he didnt exactly have alot of time to do anything of note. However the more I see of him the more I think that his attributes dont match what is required to play up front for us in this team. 

Would Kenny take 20 million for him if he was offered it in January?

As long as the £20M was saved for the Summer window, giving us time to use it wisely rather than buy an overpriced replacement off a club that doesn't really want to lose a player mid-season. There aren't obvious replacements, but he's not getting game time enough to contribute anything when he does. He simply makes us up to 11 when Suarez goes off. A bit like Downing, I don't think they have the mentality to be at a big club where there are expectations, rather than 'hopes'. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 18, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
Another 3 points, another good performance, more nice football, the best defence in the premier league, tough times to be a Liverpool fan, sack Kenny and the board!

You'd be forgiven for thinking we'd be distancing the pack with 10 points rather than sitting firmly at 6th, judging by that post. But it's a sign of the modern LFC fan. Picking up bits and pieces here and there refusing to see the whole picture.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 18, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
I've often been critic of Skrtel and Johnson especially but both players are playing very well within this newly formed defence. Without Carragher Johnson doesnt seem to get caught out as much. Skrtels partnership with Agger looks rock solid and he seems less error prone at the moment. Long may it continue.

Likewise Juan, I've often thought that Skrtel only had a certain level in him and that was only enough to be cover, but this season I'm chuffed to be proved wrong. He's got to be our most improved player and as you state both him and Johnson look more confortable without Carragher in there. Maybe it's a compliment of styles, or not having their confidence undermined by Carra's bad reactions to his own dwindling abilities. It's both sad and hard to accept for anyone who can't perform at something in a way they used to but it's a fact of life which needs accepting.

Carra would do well to take on a player-coach role in the Summer, with the emphasis being on learning the coaching side. He'd leave with his head held high and it would be a fitting end to the contribution he's made over the years. He was never the greatest footballer or even defender, but like Keegan, he's wrung the absolute maximum out of the talent he's had, and I hope both the opportunity is there and the right decision is taken by everyone involved.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 18, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
But it's a sign of the modern LFC fan. Picking up bits and pieces here and there refusing to see the whole picture.

Haha Martin you are the epitome of the modern day football fan. You have unrealistic expectations, you arent happy unless you see Barcelona-esque performances week in week out (todays comments prove that) , you have no patience with players or management and you seem to ignore the fact that we are competing with 5 other very talented teams. To sum you up you complain if we lose and complain if we win.

The whole picture as I see it is that we are building a side here that will compete for major honours. That takes time. If thats not fast enough for you or if you cant take the off days that goes with that I suggest you do as many other modern day football fans do go follow the cash and support Man City. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 18, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »
You'd be forgiven for thinking we'd be distancing the pack with 10 points rather than sitting firmly at 6th, judging by that post. But it's a sign of the modern LFC fan. Picking up bits and pieces here and there refusing to see the whole picture.

No manager in world football could have taken us from where we were to where we want to be with the budget we had and are likely to have going forward. The progress can't be instant. How much has it taken Man City to get near the top. Likewise, Taggart, without that once in a lifetime crop of kids and constantly having one of and at many times the biggest budget wouldn't have achieved everything.
Mistakes get made in the transfer market but when your budget is at a certain level those mistakes become highlighted more accutely because they can't be rectified easily.

At the moment, compared to where we were and what we went through under Hicks and Gillett, it's understandable that most people are enjoying what in comparison is a relatively enjoyable time.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 18, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »
Likewise Juan, I've often thought that Skrtel only had a certain level in him and that was only enough to be cover, but this season I'm chuffed to be proved wrong. He's got to be our most improved player and as you state both him and Johnson look more confortable without Carragher in there. Maybe it's a compliment of styles, or not having their confidence undermined by Carra's bad reactions to his own dwindling abilities. It's both sad and hard to accept for anyone who can't perform at something in a way they used to but it's a fact of life which needs accepting.

Carra would do well to take on a player-coach role in the Summer, with the emphasis being on learning the coaching side. He'd leave with his head held high and it would be a fitting end to the contribution he's made over the years. He was never the greatest footballer or even defender, but like Keegan, he's wrung the absolute maximum out of the talent he's had, and I hope both the opportunity is there and the right decision is taken by everyone involved.

Agreed Tes I do think Agger and Skrtels styles suit each other. And as you say we no longer have Carras dwindling abilities causing havoc. His lack of speed was a problem and we were often found out if Johnson had ventured forward, Carra could  be left exposed at the back.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 18, 2011, 06:53:52 PM »
Juan / Tes, you're quite right about Jamie and it's quite sad to see one of our loyal servants reduced to a 10 minute cameo. But the team has to come first and it must be very difficult for Kenny to sideline him.

But Jamie is a class act and has never complained. He knows there can be no sentiment in football. Top man!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 18, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »
Hey leave Post alone, I'm nearly sure he got the last touch for Beller's goal against Brighton. :P
I missed the Post-match interview  :D

Good result today against a depleted (did you see their bench :'() Villa today.
Our bench, by contrast, currently looks quite impressive.

Precisely the sort of game we need at the moment.

Brave decision by Dalglish to start with Shelvey. Love the whole collective
attitude that we have now toward defending in the absence of Lucas. I think
that's the key for Kenny, get that team ethic right and we've enough quality
to be competitive in the league.

In for a tough one against Wigan!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 20, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
8 match ban for Suarez...

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
8 match ban for Suarez...
I find that very surprising given the time it's taken for them to reach a decision. Striker definitely needed in Jan.

How will the owners react to a LFC player found guilty of racism? Would be crazy to sell him but sh*t sticks and all other clubs will always remind us and him of it.
Cheers,
Ray