September 26, 2020, 12:23:48 AM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 343604 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #570 on: December 28, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »
Always interesting to hear any of the old greats take on the situation;

http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/273557/20111228/hansen-praises-long-term-planning-liverpool-project.htm

Liverpool legend Alan Hansen has praised the club's transfer policy under Kenny Dalglish suggesting their lavish investment in youthful talent will prove a shrewd business model in the future.

Liverpool have spent in excess of £100 million since the Fenway Sports Group took control of the club and although the likes of Jordan Henderson and Andy Carroll are yet to prove money well spent, the aforementioned former Anfield stalwart claims the long-term planning currently being engineered at the club will ultimately prove successful.

While keen to point out Liverpool's inability to compete on a financial level with Manchester City, Hansen suggests his former club are endeavouring to look more long term in order to re-establish the Reds in the higher echelons of English football.

Although Liverpool currently trail the two Manchester clubs in the Premier League title race, the aforementioned Match of the Day pundit believes the improvement at Anfield is already vast and only likely to continue to improve.

"Critical to the improvement has been Liverpool's transfer policy which has seen several young players with huge potential brought in, predominantly from other Premier League club," said Hansen in LFC magazine this week.

"There is no way that we, or any other club for that matter, can compete with Manchester City as far as transfer fees go.

"That leaves Liverpool with a question to answer. Do you sign what's left of the bigger named established players, or do you try and build a new team around youth?

"Liverpool have done the latter and that policy of buying younger players will, I believe, ultimately reap rewards and dividends, hopefully sooner rather than later."

Although the likes of Jordan Henderson and Andy Carroll have inevitably been brought to Liverpool with the future in mind, Hansen suggests Suarez's seamless transition at Anfield suggests the Uruguayan can be a mainstay now and for many years to come.

"Luis Suarez is a prime example of a player who has been an instant hit," Hansen told the latest issue of LFC magazine.

His performances, almost every single time he plays, have been sensational. He's got such quick feet that every time he gets the ball the anticipation levels amongst Liverpool fans rise. He's been fantastic to watch in 2011."

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 28, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »
Hansen is a puppet.  He has never had an original thought in his life, and even if he did have one, he would never be brave enough to say it, and thus potentially prove controversial.

I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to the smug muppet.

How the likes of Hansen, Lawrenson and Shearer can be employed as expert pundits, has always confused me.   My dog spoke more sense.

It's no great surprise that the three of them never made it in football management.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 28, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »
Suarez banned AGAIN! Liverpool bad boy punished over finger at Fulham fans

28th December 2011

Luis Suarez has been banned again after picking up a one-match suspension for his finger gesture at Fulham fans.
The striker, who has already been banned for EIGHT matches for racially abusing Patrice Evra, gave the bird to home fans at Craven Cottage earlier this month.

The Reds have also been fined £20,000 for failing to control their players in the fiery clash at Craven Cottage.

Suarez will now miss Friday's match at home to Newcastle, with Andy Carroll now expected to face his old club.
It is the first time manager Kenny Dalglish has been unable to select Suarez since the player arrived from Ajax for £22.8million in January.

An FA statement read: 'Liverpool Football Club have been fined £20,000 by The FA and warned as to their future conduct for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the league fixture at Fulham on 5 December 2011.

'The club admitted the charge, which was in relation to the dismissal of Jay Spearing, but did not accept the standard £20,000 penalty for the offence. However, at an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today [Wednesday 28 December] the fine was imposed.

'Meanwhile, Liverpool player Luis Suarez will begin a one match suspension with immediate effect after he admitted an FA charge of improper conduct in relation to the same game.

'Suarez was also fined £20,000 and warned as to his future conduct following a gesture he made towards the Fulham fans at the end of the fixture.'
Liverpool said they had no comment to make on either Suarez's ban or the imposition of a fine on the club.

Suarez was given a torrid time by the home support throughout the 1-0 defeat in west London on December 5 as he was subjected to chants of 'cheat' for what Fulham supporters perceived to be his constant diving.

He cracked after the final whistle by making an explicit hand gesture towards the stands.
However, in the days after the game Dalglish was so incensed by some of the treatment the 24-year-old was subjected to by Fulham players he used his pre-match press conference to show a DVD of incidents he felt supported his claims.
He also argued against the Jay Spearing dismissal, when the midfielder won the ball but his follow-through caught Mousa Dembele, which prompted the protest to Friend by a number of his players.

Last week, Suarez was given an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United’s Evra.

An FA statement said the 24-year-old Uruguay striker had used words that ‘included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour’ when United and Liverpool met at Anfield on October 15, which amounts to a serious breach of the governing body’s rules.

After having spent a further four days considering evidence from last week’s disciplinary hearing, the three-man Independent Regulatory Commission also fined Suarez £40,000.
Liverpool, whose players and manager Kenny Dalglish wore T-shirts supporting Suarez in the warm-up to their match at Wigan, are set to appeal the eight-game ban once they have assessed the commission's detailed report.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2079381/Luis-Suarez-banned-finger-Fulham-fans.html

Quelle surprise. Ashley Cole and darling Wazza get away without punishment yet 'Johnny Foreigner' gets banned.

Time to step up to to mark now, Mr Carroll.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 28, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »
the FA are bringing the game into disrepute.

they should ban themselves.

the course of action to take here is quite clear.   Rather than crack under the abuse and make hand gestures,  Liverpool's complete team should walk off the pitch. 

Until the FA are willing to provide proper working conditions, teams should stop and refuse to play.

In the months (and years) to come, Suarez is going to take a lot of abuse at away grounds.  Liverpool have to make a stand.  Has there ever been a greater, more appropriate time, when one of our own should not walk alone.  Let's all walk off.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »
........and still no publication of the reasons for the verdict. Somewhere I doubt Captain Braveheart Terry will suffer in the same way.

.........and in other news, Ancelotti has joined PSG.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 28, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
........and still no publication of the reasons for the verdict.

.........and in other news, Ancelotti has joined PSG.

the reasons behind the verdict, didn't someone find them, last week, amongst next March's Russian Presidential results.

sad to miss out on Ancelotti.  Though I doubt our yankee owners will be much aware of the development or it's significance.  As you said the other day Tes, we are badly crying out for a senior figure like david dein.  (I added the david dein part)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
the reasons behind the verdict, didn't someone find them, last week, amongst next March's Russian Presidential results.

:D   :D

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 29, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
Hmmm it seems we're being linked with Bent in january now...would send you the link...but can't fecking find it now! Gah!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 29, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »
Not sure about Bent though...never really showed much flair and while he can score goals that's what they said about Carroll...we don't want two of them!

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 29, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »
Not sure about Bent though...never really showed much flair and while he can score goals that's what they said about Carroll...we don't want two of them!

And in that statement lies how difficult it can be finding a proven striker who can blend in seamlessly with your system and start knocking them in. And woe betide you if you choose unwisely.

I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger making the attack on Steve Kean seem like a Sunday afternoon tea party

Apologies to Quentin Tarantino. :D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
And in that statement lies how difficult it can be finding a proven striker who can blend in seamlessly with your system and start knocking them in. And woe betide you if you choose unwisely.

I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger making the attack on Steve Kean seem like a Sunday afternoon tea party

Apologies to Quentin Tarantino. :D

Ray, you realise what you've done. After their certain capitulation against the Mancs we'll have Steve Kean come out and tell us Mr Tarantino has even been on his mobile giving him his support, as, coincidentally, has Mr Ferguson.  :D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 29, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
LOL, here's Woy after the Wolves defeat, a year ago:
(Apologies to fans, who would rather forget the RH era!)

Some context first!
"As the curtain came down on a third defeat in four league games for
the Reds, leaving them 12th in the table and three points above the
relegation zone, thousands of supporters chanted the name of former
manager Kenny Dalglish."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9326948.stm

Cringe!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 29, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »

Nothing wrong with either player in a system that suits their strengths.

Newcastle set up and played a totally different style of football. One which brought out the best of their main players, Carroll, Barton and Nolan.

With Carroll, either it's a case of right player, wrong system or wrong player, right system.

This is what makes his purchase feel like an ill thought out panic buy.

Additionally, no matter how much money a club is offered, a player needs to be equally receptive to the transfer taking place.
It made too much sense to Newcastle to turn it down, but who was there listening to or acting on what Andy Carroll really wanted?
There was obviously huge pressure from Newcastle for the deal to go through but where was Carroll's agent in this, if not too busy thinking of his commission, when Carroll needed some representation to get his feelings across that whilst it made sense to Newcastle in financial terms, it didn't make sense to Carroll in ways that went far beyond simple football or financial ones.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »
LOL, here's Woy after the Wolves defeat, a year ago:
(Apologies to fans, who would rather forget the RH era!)

Some context first!
"As the curtain came down on a third defeat in four league games for
the Reds, leaving them 12th in the table and three points above the
relegation zone, thousands of supporters chanted the name of former
manager Kenny Dalglish."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9326948.stm

Cringe!

Ed, do you also pick at scabs and not let them heal in their own time?  :D  :D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 29, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
Ed, do you also pick at scabs and not let them heal in their own time?  :D  :D
Yes, I actually do!  :D

Anyway, I've put Roy's record for the beginning of last season 'til his departure
against Kenny's this season so far, both in the league, below:

It's the 9 losses in the league vs. 3 for Kenny that stands out (1 being the calamity at Spurs!).

My conclusion is that we need to turn the 6 home draws into wins! (Obvious!!)
These 12 dropped points would have us 2 behind the leaders. Even
if we'd won 4 of them, we'd still be in contention. When you think back
to all those super saves by keepers...

Hodgson
D - H
L - A
W - H
D - A
L - A
D - H
L - H
L - A