October 26, 2020, 06:41:41 PM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 354179 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #585 on: December 29, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
Yes, I actually do!  :D

Anyway, I've put Roy's record for the beginning of last season 'til his departure
against Kenny's this season so far, both in the league, below:

It's the 9 losses in the league vs. 3 for Kenny that stands out (1 being the calamity at Spurs!).

My conclusion is that we need to turn the 6 home draws into wins! (Obvious!!)
These 12 dropped points would have us 2 behind the leaders. Even
if we'd won 4 of them, we'd still be in contention. When you think back
to all those super saves by keepers...

Hodgson
D - H
L - A
W - H
D - A
L - A
D - H
L - H
L - A
W - H
W - A
W - H
D - A
L - A
W - H
L - A
W - H
L - A
L - H
W - H
L - A

Dalglish
D - H
W - A
W - H
L - A
L - A
W - H
W - A
D - H
D - H
W - A
D - H
W - A
D - H
L - A
W - H
W - A
D - A
D - H

Ignoring the fees paid, with the overall level of players purchased in the last 12 months, I guess the difference is illustrated well by those figures, but the league table probably raises questions about the value we've had from the outlay. There's no doubt the overall squad is still short of several players, especially when you look at our rivals' squads and the fact they have been together longer en masse.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:08 PM »
Ray, you realise what you've done. After their certain capitulation against the Mancs we'll have Steve Kean come out and tell us Mr Tarantino has even been on his mobile giving him his support, as, coincidentally, has Mr Ferguson.  :D
:) Tes, the Blackburn fans should be ashamed of themselves for their treatment of Steve Kean. Their anger should be directed to the Venky's but rather conveniently they're 6000 miles away.

I would hope that Kenny has also given him some support. Quinten is otherwise occupied I believe.  ;D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 29, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »
:) Tes, the Blackburn fans should be ashamed of themselves for their treatment of Steve Kean. Their anger should be directed to the Venky's but rather conveniently they're 6000 miles away.

Totally agree. He has been put in an impossible situation by the owners trying to make some sort of big initial splash. Maybe if Fat Sham had been given the same amount of time, patience and support things would be different.

Now I feel dirty for supporting Fat Sham. Must be the quality of his faux twitter account that's making me soft.   

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 30, 2011, 12:43:40 AM »
Yes, I actually do!  :D

Anyway, I've put Roy's record for the beginning of last season 'til his departure
against Kenny's this season so far, both in the league, below:

It's the 9 losses in the league vs. 3 for Kenny that stands out (1 being the calamity at Spurs!).

My conclusion is that we need to turn the 6 home draws into wins! (Obvious!!)
These 12 dropped points would have us 2 behind the leaders. Even
if we'd won 4 of them, we'd still be in contention. When you think back
to all those super saves by keepers...

Hodgson
D - H
L - A
W - H
D - A
L - A
D - H
L - H
L - A
W - H
W - A
W - H
D - A
L - A
W - H
L - A
W - H
L - A
L - H
W - H
L - A

Dalglish
D - H
W - A
W - H
L - A
L - A
W - H
W - A
D - H
D - H
W - A
D - H
W - A
D - H
L - A
W - H
W - A
D - A
D - H

When you think about it also Ed when we dropped points under Roy we generally never looked like getting a result. Under Kenny with the exception of Spurs we have dominated most games. I dont mean to keep banging the same drum but thats why I dont understand why some fans try to make out Kennys reign to be as unfavorable as Roys. Aside from the football played being completely different, Kenny has the team winning away from home. At home we are dominating teams and have been unlucky not to have at least 4 more home wins on the board. We could never say that under Roy, we were always directionless aside from a couple of decent home wins.

Every ex Liverpool player I have heard have all heaped praise on Kenny and reckon this team is very close to being a very good one. From Phil Thompson to John Aldridge, from Ray Houghton to Tommy Smith, Ronnie Whelan, Rush, Nicol, Lawrenson, Souness, Barnes and of late Hansen. They all believe Kenny is doing a very good job. I would take some of those ex players opinions with a pinch of salt, some wouldnt be willing to criticise an old team mate but they all seem to be singing from the same hymnsheet with regard the good work thats been done.

Mistakes are always going to be made and you cant expect Kenny to get every decision right. So aside from possibly making a mistake in signing Carroll and not being able to turn 6 home draws into what would have been deserved wins Im not sure what else fans could have wanted from Kenny. It borders on the unrealistic.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 30, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »
When you think about it also Ed when we dropped points under Roy we generally never looked like getting a result. Under Kenny with the exception of Spurs we have dominated most games. I dont mean to keep banging the same drum but thats why I dont understand why some fans try to make out Kennys reign to be as unfavorable as Roys. Aside from the football played being completely different, Kenny has the team winning away from home. At home we are dominating teams and have been unlucky not to have at least 4 more home wins on the board. We could never say that under Roy, we were always directionless aside from a couple of decent home wins.

Every ex Liverpool player I have heard have all heaped praise on Kenny and reckon this team is very close to being a very good one. From Phil Thompson to John Aldridge, from Ray Houghton to Tommy Smith, Ronnie Whelan, Rush, Nicol, Lawrenson, Souness, Barnes and of late Hansen. They all believe Kenny is doing a very good job. I would take some of those ex players opinions with a pinch of salt, some wouldnt be willing to criticise an old team mate but they all seem to be singing from the same hymnsheet with regard the good work thats been done.

Mistakes are always going to be made and you cant expect Kenny to get every decision right. So aside from possibly making a mistake in signing Carroll and not being able to turn 6 home draws into what would have been deserved wins Im not sure what else fans could have wanted from Kenny. It borders on the unrealistic.

Your inclination to forgive, forget and accept mediocrity is almost ... touching.  Happy new year mate!  :)
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 30, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
When we hammered the Toon 5 - 1 at Christmas 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0H6WRH6iKA

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 30, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »
Your inclination to forgive, forget and accept mediocrity is almost ... touching.  Happy new year mate!  :)

I look forward to large portions of humble pie being dished out in the future. We will see who will be looking to forgive and forget then. Many Happy Returns  ;)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 30, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
Team lineup

Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, Adam, Henderson, Spearing, Downing, Carroll, Bellamy.

SUBS: Doni, Maxi, Kuyt, Gerrard, Carragher, Shelvey, Kelly.

Prediction 1 nil to Liverpool - Bellamy to score

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 30, 2011, 07:12:58 PM »
As if losing Suarez wasn't enough. With that line-up we'll be happy to get a point, though I doubt it. Way to go Kenny, way to go. You really hate to see us in Europe next year, don't you? Just admit.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 30, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »
Hate to admit I'll watch the game later. So won't be here to respond to the claims I'm not real fan for calling it as it is. But hey, we're playing well, aren't we?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:28:00 PM by Martinmarx »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 30, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
Team lineup

Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, Adam, Henderson, Spearing, Downing, Carroll, Bellamy.

SUBS: Doni, Maxi, Kuyt, Gerrard, Carragher, Shelvey, Kelly.

Prediction 1 nil to Liverpool - Bellamy to score

What's Dirk done to deserve the splinters routine again? Dirk, Maxi, Bellamy is the closest we've got to the Dirk, Suarez, Maxi front three that did so well at the end of last season.

It'll be interesting to see if Henderson plays deeper alongside Spearing and let Adam play with more freedom further forward or if Henderson is favoured for a more advanced role.

I guess Maxi now only seems able to start one game a week, which is shame.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 30, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
Hopefully Tim Kruhl has an off night, though he's got the ability to give us another Anfield keeper nightmare.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 30, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
Superb bit of hold up play by Carroll. Adam needs to up his game. Too much of his passing is sloppy and going astray.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 30, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »
Carroll on his heels when Bellamy provides a great knock down. He needs to learn to gamble, anticipate or simply make a move as a ball is played forward, even if it's not immediately going towards him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 30, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
Agger, OG 0-1.  :(