February 22, 2020, 11:44:47 AM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 282303 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #615 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
Great commentary Tes considering you were lying in the bath!

What a difference Gerrard makes. Great to have him back. I don't feel so nervous about losing Suarez for 8 games now.

Carroll should have had a couple but at least he had a better game than for a while. Need Kuyt more and I suspect he'll be there for the City game.

Arsenal to draw or lose at QPR tomorrow and we stay 5th.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 30, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »

That's a rather disturbing mental image, Ray, so close to bedtime aswell.  ???
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:31 PM »

What a difference Gerrard makes. Great to have him back. I don't feel so nervous about losing Suarez for 8 games now.

Carroll should have had a couple but at least he had a better game than for a while. Need Kuyt more and I suspect he'll be there for the City game.

Arsenal to draw or lose at QPR tomorrow and we stay 5th.

Gerrard's delivery was a difference maker. At least Carroll was getting himself in better positions.

I'd switch Downing onto the left and play Kuyt from the off.

Adam was disappointing again, Henderson showed him the way today and Jay Spearing always gets his head up and looks to play the ball forward. Considering his inexperience, I thought Spearing played well again. Keeps his discipline well. Maybe doesn't have the anticipation or game reading ability of Lucas but he's still learning the position as he's always played as a more traditional central midfielder for the reserves.

Glenn Johnson doesn't look awfully happy and lost his composure when in dangerous, advanced areas a couple of time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on his way in the Summer. There's something not right there.   

Enrique looks more and more comfortable defensively, especially when compared to his Newcastle days. He's quickly becoming an indispensable player for us.

The sub £10M signings have all been a success. It's when the big money's lashed that Kenny looks less that convincing. Let's hope he doesn't add Bent to the list.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:20 AM »
I'll hold my hands up and admit I got this one wrong. I thought it was a very good team display throughout most of the game. I don't agree however, tes, on your judgment on Adam, Spearing and Henderson. I actually thought Adam was our best midfielder by far until Gerrard came on. Spearing I can see where you come from, but he's also totally reckless and he need to cool down and stop running around like a headless chicken. Henderson played a fringe role, again, offering nothing save for that quite easy pass that set up Gerrard.

I actually thought Carrol built on his game against Blackburn which wasn't that bad either. It's easy to see he's slowly adapting to our style of play and with a wee bit more concentration he'd scored 2 tonite.

Leaving Kuijt and Maxi out of it to play Spearing and Henderson will cost us many points in the long run. Today, Kenny got off the hook thanks to Simpson suffering a severe stroke and the genius and brilliance of our captain.

Finally, I'd suggest we have, by far, the two best full backs in the PL. What a joy that is to see and how much it adds to our game.

Well done and hope we can build on this on Tuesday.

Reina

Johnson
Skrtel
Agger
Enrique

Kuijt
Gerrard
Adam
Maxi

Bellers
Carrol

That should do the trick. :)
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 31, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
Tes, You're the only person who has mentioned Johnson not looking happy. None of the press reports mention it. It would greatly surprise me were he to leave. I think he's played really well and is part of an excellent defence.

Not sure about Adam. Some poor passes but then supplied the cross that lead to the equaliser. Some ling-distance shots were poor. He needs to think about his distribution more.

Spearing is never going to be a top quality midfielder but he tries his best which is all you can ask. The FA should look at the foul against him last night. It was a bad one.

Henderson shows glimpses of his talent but will be a better player in 12 months. Gerrard is like signing a £30M player. Huge boost for the team. That could transform our season. Skrtel should get a special mention for preventing that equaliser. Fantastic piece of skill.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 31, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
Spearing is never going to be a top quality midfielder but he tries his best which is all you can ask. The FA should look at the foul against him last night. It was a bad one.

A different day, a different ref, a different interpretation. The rules need firming up to a degree that eliminates the need for individual refs to apply anywhere near as much interpretation. Whether they can be, I don't know, but surely something needs attempting.

Agree with both you and Martin about Spearing's level. He'll only ever be a squad player but he can be relied on to give his all and despite Lucas' absence he knows he's still got to earn the right to wear the shirt the next game. He's still learning that defensive midfield role but as he gets more experience hopefully he'll not need to race about like he presently does as experience will allow him to read the game better and position himself accordingly. Economy of effort whilst increasing effectiveness, ala Xabi and Didi (though obviously not at their level). Also, he's played so few games alongside Adam / Henderson, that he's probably still a little unsure as to his exact role within the partnership.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 31, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
Good points Tes. He's obviously trying to impress and should be praised for working too hard if anything. If only youngsters could have the experience of older ones.

Kenny has a dilemma for Tuesday. Is it too much to ask him to patrol midfield against City's obvious quality? I think so. A quiet word or two will help assuming he's okay after that challenge. And if Gerrard  does start (which I think he will) he will act as a calming influence.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 31, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »
Good points Tes. He's obviously trying to impress and should be praised for working too hard if anything. If only youngsters could have the experience of older ones.

Kenny has a dilemma for Tuesday. Is it too much to ask him to patrol midfield against City's obvious quality? I think so. A quiet word or two will help assuming he's okay after that challenge. And if Gerrard  does start (which I think he will) he will act as a calming influence.

Tuesday's probably the biggest game of the season so far as it will give us a good idea of where we are in terms of development of the team. Lucas will be a big miss and whoever plays in midfield will need to make sure they are switched on at all times and that possession isn't given away cheaply. I think Gerrard will start and then have a sub's role for the following game or two.
City's defence hasn't looked as good lately, so hopefully that's a chink in their armour we can take advantage of. Carroll's overdue a goal and all runs, good or bad, end eventually.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 31, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
very good victory.

the game revolved on a short two minute spell.

Bellamy's freekick that put us two-one up.....calamity defending from the newcastle keeper and defender.  And Carroll was in there, typically missing with his attempt at a little head flick.    Anyways, a goal.  And then within a minute or two, Skitrail clears a superb newcastle effort off our line.  The entire game hinged on that passage of play. 

After going ahead, 2-1, we then could pass the ball around confidently and make the victory look more convincing than it probably really was.

Balance-wise, we are still all over the shop.  Hendesron showing signs of coming good (like i have often predicted).  Gerrard always loves this type of stage.......great angled goal, through the keeper's legs.  We badly miss Lucas.  Adam is a good lad, but from what I have seen to date, he just doesn;t do enough work in the middle of the park.  I had hoped he would be a Paul Scholes for us.  But it's more of a Danny Murphy lite.   Carroll continues as usual, hitting the bar when it might have been easier to score.  He hits more wood than woody woodpecker.  No prizes though for the nearly men. 

Team looks united.  Defends as one and attacks as one.  Balance is required though, especially against top teams.    No signs of any decent balance emerging.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:18 PM »
I still don't get this Adam criticism. Yesterday he won possession time and again, he sprayed the ball nicely and he was just a couple of metres behind Carrol and Bellars in attack only to have outran Spearing and Henderson to work his back home. What signs did Henderson really show, dude? Really? He keeps passing it sideways and backwards and it has a detrimental effect on our game, to say the least. He spent the entire game in a fringe roll, yet you say he showed signs. Please enlighten me cause I couldn't see them. You're completely right the game was decided during those two minutes and the reason for that is Kenny once again chosed to start with Spearing and the not good enough Henderson at the expense of Kuijt and Maxi. He got off this once but will get heavily punished come Tuesday should he try the same trick again.

Thanks to results going our way very much today we actually have a chance of finishing 4th. That chance will be taken away will he keep playing such an inbalanced and weak starting line-up.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 31, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
Martin, what would your ideal midfield line-up be against City and ideally for the rest of the season?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 01, 2012, 12:56:54 AM »
the dude is on skype.

sooner or later ye all will succumb to the grand notion of chatting via audio to each other.

it doesnae give you cancer or arthritis.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 01, 2012, 12:59:34 AM »
I am off to get supper.

I may be some time (well about 90 mins)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 01, 2012, 01:01:42 AM »
and lest i forget - happy new fear year to you all.

still another 4 hours of 2011 left here.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 01, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
Martin, what would your ideal midfield line-up be against City and ideally for the rest of the season?

As it seems Kenny's deploying an "attack's the best defence" sort of approach I think we need a central midfield that combines physical presence with skills on the ball. Therefore I'll never accept us playing a 5-men midfield as I see that as an inherently defensive formation.

Against City I'd start with Gerrard behind Bellers and Carrol. I'd also play Adam, not in a withdrawn position but behind Gerrard. To the left I'd play Maxi and to the right I'd play Kuijt. I'm not saying that midfield would be ideal for the rest of the season but certainly on Tuesday. The key is to keep the 4-4-2 formation as it allows us to keep the team higher up the pitch than a 4-5-1 formation ever will. I'd go as far as to say that to a certain exten choice of formation will be more critical than choice of players this Tuesday. That is, I can live with Downing starting ahead of Maxi as long as we keep it 4-4-2 if you catch my drift?