February 24, 2020, 05:06:20 PM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 282807 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #630 on: January 01, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
As it seems Kenny's deploying an "attack's the best defence" sort of approach I think we need a central midfield that combines physical presence with skills on the ball. Therefore I'll never accept us playing a 5-men midfield as I see that as an inherently defensive formation.

Against City I'd start with Gerrard behind Bellers and Carrol. I'd also play Adam, not in a withdrawn position but behind Gerrard. To the left I'd play Maxi and to the right I'd play Kuijt. I'm not saying that midfield would be ideal for the rest of the season but certainly on Tuesday. The key is to keep the 4-4-2 formation as it allows us to keep the team higher up the pitch than a 4-5-1 formation ever will. I'd go as far as to say that to a certain exten choice of formation will be more critical than choice of players this Tuesday. That is, I can live with Downing starting ahead of Maxi as long as we keep it 4-4-2 if you catch my drift?

Thanks for that Martin. Do you think that gives us enough in midfield though to keep City's midfield at bay and impose ourselves on them and have enough of the ball to do that?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 01, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »
Thanks for that Martin. Do you think that gives us enough in midfield though to keep City's midfield at bay and impose ourselves on them and have enough of the ball to do that?

Yes I do, tes. Haven't it struck you the few times this seson the opponents dominated possession we always looked vulnerable (pretty much as we did under Rafa's last seasons where goals could come from anywhere)? I maintain the reason we conceded so few this season is we've strived and managed to dominate possession. The key to this is our fullbacks and the quality they possess in the attacking side of the game. Beside YaYa Toure I'm not impressed at all by City's midfield. You could argue that Silva's a midfielder but he's more or less played in a free role. I think playing Adam and Gerrard in the center and having the guts to play Enrique and Johnson quite far up the pitch will neutralize them quite a lot in that they can't pack it in the center. In any case, a 4-5-1 formation is doomed to invite pressure which we'll struggle to cope with for very long I reckon + Carrol will be isolated up front. Our chance to win this game, IMHO, is to attack and keep the team high up the pitch. With Enrique and Johnson constantly in an attacking position City will be spread out thereby providing Adam and Gerrard with the necessary space to dictate the center. Call me naive but that's how I see it and that's how I'd approach it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:14:25 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 01, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
Interesting. The key will then be that we keep possession well and don't give it away cheaply. Taking the game to City in their own backyard is interesting. It certainly could silence their crowd, who expect them to take teams apart now and hopefully an atitude the crowd develops transmits itself to the players.

After their last minute defeat today, our goalscoring victory and the extra rest we've had, hopefully it'll prove a good time to play City. Unfortunately, a victory for us would also be assisting the dirty Mancs, which considering recent events and their involvement in them, stinks.
Still, you can't have everything.   

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 01, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »
After their last minute defeat today, our goalscoring victory and the extra rest we've had, hopefully it'll prove a good time to play City. Unfortunately, a victory for us would also be assisting the dirty Mancs, which considering recent events and their involvement in them, stinks.

That last point wasn't lost on me either. But 3pts gained at City's expense is no guarantee it will help Utd to win the title with so many games remaining. They travel to NUFC who will be no push-overs. And of course there is the Rooney fallout and a team still looking far from the finished article.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 01, 2012, 10:01:05 PM »
And of course there is the Rooney fallout and a team still looking far from the finished article.

Ray, who's Rooney fallen out with now?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 01, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »
Can we all agree to be grateful that at least this man no longer sits in our dug out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIfKHVJz02c&feature=player_embedded

I was wrong, again, just as I was about Skrtel. I never thought the face rubbing could be beaten but it appears we have a new winner.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
Interesting. The key will then be that we keep possession well and don't give it away cheaply. Taking the game to City in their own backyard is interesting. It certainly could silence their crowd, who expect them to take teams apart now and hopefully an atitude the crowd develops transmits itself to the players.

Remember the derby? We kept our cool, we kept our patience. That helped us keep possession which in the end helped us win. Fair enough. some will say the sending-off was the sole reason we won. I don't think it was.

Key will be to keep our cool, keep our patience, keep possession. If we start the game with a 4-5-1 we will throw away whatever chance we have at doing just that. I'm not saying we should, or are even able to, play Barca like footy. Just that we dare to push the team high up the pitch, try to retain the ball on their half and keep pushing Johnson and Enrique forward. If we do that we give ourselves a much better chance to keep the ball and as long as we do that City will struggle to score. I also think today's result was positive in that if we can stick to our gameplan they will sooner rather than later get frustrated. I actually have a feeling we could win this provided Kenny give the team a proper chance at doing just that.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
Ray, who's Rooney fallen out with now?

Rooney, Fletcher and Gibson plus spouses went out for a meal Boxing Day night and when Ferguson heard he went livid. That's why Rooney didn't play Saturday. Ferguson dropped him.

Before a game a ban on staying out late is understandable but this was after one and given it was Christmas I don't see anything wrong with what they did. Expect more fallout after last year's threat by Rooney to leave.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2080810/Wayne-Rooney-axed-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Boxing-Day-dinner-Coleen.html
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 01, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »
Rooney, Fletcher and Gibson plus spouses went out for a meal Boxing Day night and when Ferguson heard he went livid. That's why Rooney didn't play Saturday. Ferguson dropped him.

Before a game a ban on staying out late is understandable but this was after one and given it was Christmas I don't see anything wrong with what they did. Expect more fallout after last year's threat by Rooney to leave.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2080810/Wayne-Rooney-axed-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Boxing-Day-dinner-Coleen.html

Thanks, Ray, very interesting, though I had to laugh at that part about the game of charades. I guess Taggart isn't as thick skinned as he makes out. Long may it rumble on.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 03, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
Just for the record! He leaves Gerrard, Bellers and Maxi on the bench. Now that's crime against footy. Congrats City to your 3-0 or 4-1 victory. Your best contributer to the game? That's easy, Kenny Dalglish. I'm willing to bet two weeks of hanging in shame Spearing will get sent off. He isn't up to these kind of games yet (if ever).

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 03, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »
Just for the record! He leaves Gerrard, Bellers and Maxi on the bench. Now that's crime against footy. Congrats City to your 3-0 or 4-1 victory. Your best contributer to the game? That's easy, Kenny Dalglish. I'm willing to bet two weeks of hanging in shame Spearing will get sent off. He isn't up to these kind of games yet (if ever).

Talk about setting yourself up for a fall!!  >:(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 03, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
Draw'd be a good result, imo.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 03, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
Talk about setting yourself up for a fall!!  >:(

I'd gladly take that fall, but I fear I won't have to.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #643 on: January 03, 2012, 08:19:21 PM »
Just heard on Sky that Downing one on one with Hart fluffed it.  Minutes later we're 1 nil down!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 03, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
Big Reina blunder yet again. Incredible goal to concede realy. We're playing quite well but struggle, suprise surprise, in the last 3rd.