October 16, 2019, 03:04:58 AM

Author Topic: Season 2011 - 2012  (Read 246024 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2011 - 2012
« Reply #1515 on: April 03, 2012, 06:58:18 AM »
And just when we thought this season couldn't get any worse, apparently Howard FergusonWebb is the ref for the semi.

And it could get worse still. I we lose three more and they win they'll do the Double with a big D over us + clinching no. 20 in the process. That would truly mark the end of the club's rivalry. We're as much a rival to ManU as are Bolton and Blackburn.

Kenny out!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 03, 2012, 09:09:35 AM »
Tony Barrett
Published at 12:00AM, April 3 2012

A shocking sequence of results in which they have lost eight of their past dozen Barclays Premier League games represents Liverpool’s worst run of form for 58 years. With Champions League qualification now out of the question and Everton above them in the league table, The Times examines the reasons behind the significant decline at Anfield that Kenny Dalglish has been unable to arrest.

Trying to run before walking Only someone who had hardly seen Liverpool in action in the 18 months before Dalglish’s appointment as caretaker manager in January 2011 would have demanded a return to the Champions League in his first full season in charge.

Unfortunately, Liverpool’s relatively new owner fell into that category, with John W. Henry calling for a top-four finish this season. The money that Fenway Sports Group (FSG) allowed to be invested certainly deserved a much better return. But it was surely expecting too much for a team who lost 19 matches in the 2009-10 season and endured their worst start to a campaign since 1953-54 last season to rejoin the elite after only two transfer windows of supposed improvement.

The combination of Liverpool’s longstanding sense of entitlement and a new owner with big aspirations has been an unhealthy one and, if there is a positive to be drawn from recent bad results, it is that a reality check has been administered.

Backing a lame horse In the league games that Daniel Agger has played this season, Liverpool have conceded a goal every 129min 42sec. In the matches that he has missed, the figure is a goal every 58min 54sec. Such a startling statistic highlights how dependent Liverpool have become on a defender of high quality but with a low resistance to injury.

That Agger is enduring his second lengthy spell on the sidelines this season at present is no surprise. What is startling is that such physical fragility was not taken into account when Damien Comolli, the director of football, and Dalglish were formulating the club’s transfer strategy in the summer. With Jamie Carragher approaching the veteran stage, Liverpool needed a top-class central defender. What they got was Sebastián Coates, a player of potential who has been trusted to start only two league games this season.

Lost without Lucas When Lucas Leiva’s season was ended by a cruciate knee ligament injury in late November, Liverpool had a decision to make: sign a like-for-like replacement in January, even on loan, or attempt to struggle through with the players they had. The latter option was chosen and they have suffered for it. Liverpool’s points average with Lucas is 1.8 per game; without him it is 1.05.

That they lost only one of the games the Brazil midfielder played in before his injury reveals his influence. They have been beaten in nine matches during his absence, which highlights Liverpool’s reliance on a player who was once a figure of derision. Despite not playing for the past four months, Lucas has still made more tackles than any other Liverpool player this season. Without him they lack balance and seldom control midfield. Hatem Ben Arfa, the Newcastle United winger, was the latest opponent to flourish in the areas that Lucas would usually patrol.

Flawed, disjointed transfer policy Sunday’s events at Sports Direct Arena were painful enough for Liverpool without suffering the indignity of having Alan Pardew highlight one of their most serious shortcomings. Liverpool have “struggled to find the game plan” to bring out the best in Andy Carroll, the Newcastle United manager said.

It may have been stating the obvious,given Carroll’s meagre return of five league goals since joining Liverpool 14 months ago, but the observation was cutting all the same. Stan Collymore, who once occupied Carroll’s mantle as Liverpool’s most expensive player, claimed that the club had signed him for a record fee without having a clear plan of how best to use him.

Stewart Downing would be the obvious foil for Carroll, but the pair have played together in only 12 league games and in several of those the winger has been stationed on the right rather than the left. Both are direct in their approach, a style that does not particularly suit Luis Suárez, with the result that Liverpool’s attacking methodology has become increasingly incoherent. Where Jordan Henderson fits in is anyone’s guess, with the England Under-21 midfielder yet to look comfortable in any role.

Failure to find new chief executive In November 2010, FSG began a search for a new chief executive at Liverpool after accepting the resignation of Christian Purslow without hesitation. Spencer Stuart, a global headhunter, led the search. But within six months it had been deemed fruitless and was abandoned, with Ian Ayre being promoted to the role of managing director.

José Ángel Sánchez, the director-general of Real Madrid, had been targeted for the chief executive’s position, but his unwillingness to move meant FSG was unable to make its own senior appointment to oversee the day-to-day running of the club. That remains the situation and Liverpool have suffered severe damage to their reputation because of the fallout from the Suárez-Patrice Evra affair.

Meanwhile, Dalglish’s team have entered a tailspin from which they are showing no signs of emerging. On and off the pitch, the inescapable feeling is that Liverpool are lacking direction.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 03, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »
Tony Barrett
Published at 12:00AM, April 3 2012

Kenny Dalglish is under no immediate threat of being sacked by Liverpool, but Fenway Sports Group, the owner, will demand a written report from the manager asking him to outline why the season has unravelled so badly and to supply a plan for recovery.

A calamitous run of form over the past three months, in which they have taken eight points from a possible 36 in the Barclays Premier League, has led to Liverpool going from contenders for a place in the top four to being in danger of finishing in the bottom half of the table.

Although there is concern at FSG, there is no desire to remove Dalglish from his post. But FSG will ask the Liverpool manager and Damien Comolli, the director of football, to explain why their £110 million outlay on new signings has failed to produce the desired results as part of a wideranging end-of-season review.

In Dalglish’s favour are winning the Carling Cup, Liverpool’s first trophy in six years, and FSG’s private admission that its targets for this season were too high. Having stated at the start of the campaign that a failure to qualify for the Champions League would be “a major disappointment”, John W. Henry, the principal owner, has accepted that such an expectation was unrealistic for a team who had flirted with the relegation zone before Dalglish was appointed in January last year.

But FSG has been disappointed by recent form and the frustration grew over the weekend when Liverpool succumbed to a 2-0 defeat away to Newcastle United, their sixth loss in eight league matches, and were leapfrogged by Everton in the table. With an FA Cup semi-final against their Merseyside neighbours looming, however, there is no appetite to begin scrutinising why Liverpool’s performance levels have slumped alarmingly before such a crucial match.

Pepe Reina will miss the semi-final at Wembley on April 14 after Liverpool rejected the opportunity to challenge the decision of Martin Atkinson, the referee, to send off the goalkeeper for violent conduct against Newcastle. Reina clashed with James Perch in the closing stages of the game, aiming a headbutt at the Newcastle defender.

Although minimal contact was made, Liverpool accept that, according to the letter of the law, Atkinson had no alternative but to dismiss Reina and the club will not appeal.

With Reina suspended for three matches, Doni, the Spaniard’s understudy, will come into the side but the former Roma goalkeeper has admitted that he is not sure whether he will be at Anfield next season.

“Next year, I do not know where I will play,” Doni said. “Being on the substitutes’ bench is not great. Liverpool have changed so much. There have been lots of ups and downs, but I’m learning the language and the experience is beautiful, although I miss Rome a lot because it always rains here in Liverpool.”
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 03, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »
More from Tony Barrett on talksport. His belief is there will be direct orders from FSG that Liverpool sign younger players this summer. Kenny wont be allowed to sign 26 or 27 year old over priced English talent. FSGs vision is to have a young club that will grow.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/andy-goldsteins-sports-bar/120403/smith-fsg-want-lower-liverpools-average-age-168732

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »
The 1st Tony Barret piece echos what we've been saying on here for endless months. It's hard to see what will get FSG understanding what is needed and then getting the implementation of such correct.

Next season's challenge - to finish above the Bitters.  :(
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 03, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »
Tony Barrett's belief is there will be direct orders from FSG that Liverpool sign younger players this summer. Kenny wont be allowed to sign 26 or 27 year old over priced English talent. FSGs vision is to have a young club that will grow.

so rather than throw away vast chunks of money on over-priced 26 or 27 year olds, Kwenny will now have the opportunity to throw away vast chunks of money on over-priced 21 year olds.

some day, FSG will see the core problem.....and it ain't who's on the pitch, it's who is in the dugout.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
Still think Kenny has 'til the end of the season to turn things round...
(Does that mean he'll have to win the FA cup? With a reserve keeper & Howard
Webb in a semi against the most motivated team in the country to beat us!).
I'll start believing in miracles if he can do it...

There are loads of if, buts and maybes, one constant though, a good manager
in whatever circumstances he finds himself in, should, imo, be able to come up with
answers!

I accept that some of his options are limited, but believe he should make the best of what he has,
like every other manager in the division.

Funny how his captain goes AWOL when he needs him (shakes head in disbelief  :) ).

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 04, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
More from Tony Barrett on talksport. His belief is there will be direct orders from FSG that Liverpool sign younger players this summer. Kenny wont be allowed to sign 26 or 27 year old over priced English talent. FSGs vision is to have a young club that will grow.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/andy-goldsteins-sports-bar/120403/smith-fsg-want-lower-liverpools-average-age-168732

Apologies this clip is from Rory Smith not Tony Barrett.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 04, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
Martin do you write for CNN?

Otherwise I think this guys been nicking your posts.  :P

http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/04/why-liverpool-must-sack-kenny-dalglish/?hpt=isp_r1

Why Liverpool must sack Kenny Dalglish

Perhaps you have seen this statistic before: Since January 1, Liverpool have picked up only eight points in the English Premier League. Only Wolves, rooted firmly to the bottom of the table, have been worse.

Yes, these are trying times for a club that once dominated domestic and international football. With only seven matches remaining, the Reds are closer to the relegation zone than the Champions League places and seem to be heading nowhere fast. One thing is clear, a change of direction is needed and it is needed now.

At various times this season I have been criticized, on my blog and on Twitter, for writing that Kenny Dalglish should be sacked as Liverpool manager. Surely now, even the most passionate fans have to start questioning their idol and the role he should have at the club.

This season has been quite simply a disaster for the Scottish coach. From his decision to spend a fortune on average players, to supporting Luis Suarez during a racism row, to overseeing the worse run of form at the club since the 1950s, it has been a campaign to forget.

For those of you who are thinking of February's League Cup final victory, I’ll come back to it. For now though, let’s focus on the mistakes.

Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson, Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing. What do they have in common? They had won absolutely nothing when they moved to Liverpool. Furthermore, none of them had ever played in the Champions League and none of them had ever been part of a successful team.

So the question is, what on earth possessed Dalglish (with the backing of the club's director of football Damien Comolli) to spend a combined £80 million ($125 million) on them? No-one knows. They were average players, with some potential, but to dish out that kind of cash was just insane.

Mistake number two saw Dalglish completely misjudge the Suarez incident, in which the forward was found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

Instead of waiting to find out what had happened, he blindly stood behind his striker and even sanctioned the move to make t-shirts supporting the Uruguayan, who was subsequently banned for eight matches. There was no apology, there was no remorse, there was not even the simple questioning of his player’s actions.

Only after Liverpool's American owners got involved – following Suarez’s decision not to shake Evra’s hand before a league match after a suspension that left Dalglish without one of his most important players – did he reluctantly come out and criticize his pupil.

Finally, Dalglish's management skills have been questionable at best. Liverpool have had one plan all season, 4-3-3, and it hasn’t worked.

I know that Brazil midfielder Lucas Leiva has been injured, and captain Steven Gerrard was out of action for a long time, but Dalglish has still failed to get the best of any of his top players. Has he really spent time on the training ground working on the strike partnership between Suarez and Carroll? I doubt it. Has he even decided where to play them?

And what about Downing, Craig Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt? They rarely seem to know what they’re doing and where they should be playing. To put it simply, it’s a shambles. No wonder Liverpool have lost six of the last seven league games.

The impression I get is that Dalglish thought he could manage a team now just like he managed it with great success more than 20 years ago. Motivating and shouting might have worked back then, but it certainly doesn’t work now. The Premier League is a place where managers need to have one, two, maybe even three strategies to implement during games. I am still not sure Dalglish has one he can count on.

So back to the League Cup. I am sorry Liverpool fans, but this doesn’t make the season much better. So you won a trophy for the first time since 2006, but does it really matter? Liverpool beat an average second division side, after a penalty shootout, in a competition where most teams play their reserves – and all it earns is a place in the second-tier Europa League next season.

Is that the way forward, is that what Liverpool really want? I doubt it. Just ask Birmingham City supporters. They celebrated winning the League Cup at Wembley only to see their team relegated a few months later.

So if Dalglish is not the solution, who is? I would definitely find a way to get him out at the end of this season and I would bring in a new man with new ideas.

Forget Rafa Benitez, there is too much history there already and many players wouldn’t be too happy to have him back. Instead Liverpool need someone like Germany coach Joachim Low, Marseille's Didier Deschamps, maybe even Brendan Rodgers of Swansea - one of the Premier League's surprise packages this season.

They need someone young and dynamic to turn the place around, and they need to do it fast.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 04, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
Martin do you write for CNN?

maybe even Brendan Rodgers of Swansea - one of the Premier League's surprise packages this season.
ROFL, I love the maybe even bit. Quick lets get on the phone to Brendan Rodgers then!

FFS, the impression I get from this article is if you stitch together enough vague cliches and
fashionable ideas about something the author (CNN?) knows very little about, you can come
to a conclusion Sack Kenny, Hire Brendan! QED.

No, Kenny is a club legend and he needs all our support, imo, 'til the end of the season at which
point common sense should prevail based on the facts!

Still wondering if this will be the iconic moment of Kenny's second spell in charge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsEC2WpT78Q

Truly unbelievable, imo. Cringe, cringe, cringe....

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: April 04, 2012, 04:59:22 PM »
Yikes Ed I missed that during the game. That is cringe-worthy. I wonder was that bourne out of Kenny feeling the need to do something and not knowing what to do or did his player/ player manager days come flooding back to him and guide him on to the pitch. Fair play to Gerrard, he ushered him off before Kenny did anything even more stupid.

Agreed Kenny does need support until the end of the season.

Its frustrating it hasnt worked out for him. Theres no question now hes bought badly but I really felt we had made progress in the first half of the season. The football was good to watch, its just our final third let us down. Unfortunately since the turn of the new year all of our problems seem to have compounded and snowballed in to something horrendous.

We are obviously going to have one of two scenarios happen. Kenny will be replaced by FSG. It would be hard to watch that happen but understandable. Secondly they could give him another season but be more involved about who he buys etc. Id be glad to see Kenny get another shot but I would also be concerned as to what might happen next season.

Certain players need moving on for sure.

As for the article from CNN, not Martins best work but at least he stays true to his beliefs.  ;)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 04, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »

Great. So Carroll and Henderson were just foreplay. I can't wait.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
As for the article from CNN, not Martins best work but at least he stays true to his beliefs.  ;)

come to think of it, where is Martin these days?

Have Swansea got an away game, a long way from home?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 04, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
Yikes Ed I missed that during the game. That is cringe-worthy.
I think he might have been looking for a game! :)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 04, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
I think he might have been looking for a game! :)

so were 40 thousand others.