November 25, 2017, 09:21:23 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 100970 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »
Birmingham 0 Liverpool 0

Thought we looked knackered yesterday....
not surprised to see Torres looking fragged as the night before i watched newly promoted Hercules murder Barca 2-0...10 of the Barca team were in Argentina on wednesday/thursday...as was Torres...reina was magnificent though...so maybe the previous was just an excuse...
Meirieles looked like a good signing and i'm hoping it was merely match fitness that he didnt play from the starts and lucas did...
bit of a pity that we didnt take full advantage of the man citeh, spurs and the manure slip ups...but there will be other times...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:07:01 PM by barticus »

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:46:45 PM »
I agree Barticus that the trip to Argentina did Torres no favours although thank God it didn't affect Pepe. Maybe Fernando flew economy and Pepe paid Business!  :D

I do hope we see Meirieles feature regularly. Lucas and Poulson are too defensively minded. I think it's about time RH moved Johnson to RW because he's far better employed there than RB. Bring in Kelly at RB instead.

I'm prepared to give Roy time to blend these players into a unit. It doesn't happen overnight and there's only so much you can do on the training pitch. I suppose Torres did get fedup with the lack of service and one outstanding dribble excepted he looked a shadow of the player from his first season.

I'm sure the ownership issue is affecting the players whatever they say. But look on the bright side. We have Joe Cole back for OT and I'm sure Meirieles will get a good run. Joe should give us some guile inmidfield. At with Utd leaking goals there's always a chance.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
It looks like Hodgson will be simply looking to keep a clean sheet and avoid defeat away from home and attempt to pick up the victories at Anfield.

I know he needs time, any new manager with a new collection of players does, but I feel he lacks the inclination to be more positive away from home.

I hope to eventually have the 'I wonder what things would have been like under Pellegrini' thought banished from my mind. I guess only time will tell.

We need more positivity in our play. We've always seen the best of the team when the shackles are off. The players look happier and more confident.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:24:30 PM »
I know he needs time, any new manager with a new collection of players does, but I feel he lacks the inclination to be more positive away from home.
He could have brought on Babel I thought. Given that he's thrown down the gauntlet to prove he's good enough it seemed a waste not to use him. But then again there's Thursday. He should get 90 mins.

I also feel he's being a little cautious Tes. probably aware of the magnitude of the task ahead of him and not wanting to drop any clangers. Can't say I blame him but hopefully we'll see a bit more adventure with Joe returning.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
Hopefully Roy sees that by not playing certain players, he's keeping in mind the certain game against Manure on sunday and that they get an extra 2 days rest than we do...that game is the most important for him so far and he'll be mindful of doing well...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:51:55 PM by barticus »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
Hopefully Roy sees that by not playing certain players, he's keeping in mind the certain game against Manure on sunday and that they get an extra 2 days rest than we do...that game is the most important for him so far and he'll be mindful of doing well...

Conversely, which match gives us the best chance of 3 points, Birmingham away or the Mancs away? I'd have preferred to see us go for the points away at St Andrews and then if we'd gained a point at Salford then that would be a decent 8 days work.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
Jesus, but for Pepe Reina we would have been in trouble yesterday!!

Speaking objectively (and i hate to say it but) that midfield we had out yesterday is second-rate (appalling when I find myself agreeing with Andy Gray). Did Maxi touch the ball in the first half? I mean we used have Alonso and Mascherano??

Whatever, the thing that pissed me off was Glen Johnson FIXING HIS HAIR EVERYTIME HE FINISHED DOING WHATEVER HE WAS DOING......That's an absolute disaster from a Liverpool fan's perspective! Absolute disaster, like somehow his hair is the most important thing in his world! Unbelievable??

I agree Babel may have caused some mayhem in Birminghams defence late on leaving some space for Torres & Gerrard to exploit and his absence was perhaps symptomatic of a coach (I think he said as much himself!) happy with the point?

ASI i admire your patience! (I just needed to get the frustration I felt yesterday out of my system!).

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »
Whatever, the thing that p**sed me off was Glen Johnson FIXING HIS HAIR EVERYTIME HE FINISHED DOING WHATEVER HE WAS DOING......That's an absolute disaster from a Liverpool fan's perspective! Absolute disaster, like somehow his hair is the most important thing in his world! Unbelievable??
Excellent point Ed. It's about time he rid himself of the bloody thing. I don't care if he's a Rastifarian or what. Shankly would have given him short shrift. Reminds me of that Forest player which the pineapple haircut. The Kop chorused him with "what the effing hell is that???" Jason someone I think.
ASI i admire your patience! (I just needed to get the frustration I felt yesterday out of my system!).

I do get exasperated Ed when I see sideways and backward passing. Hopefully Roy does too and will say something about it. A week on Wednesday we entertain Northampton. I expect a cricket score. I shall be writing a strongly worded letter of complaint if it doesn't happen.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:36:14 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:34:34 PM »
Jesus, but for Pepe Reina we would have been in trouble yesterday!!

Speaking objectively (and i hate to say it but) that midfield we had out yesterday is second-rate (appalling when I find myself agreeing with Andy Gray). Did Maxi touch the ball in the first half? I mean we used have Alonso and Mascherano??

Whatever, the thing that p**sed me off was Glen Johnson FIXING HIS HAIR EVERYTIME HE FINISHED DOING WHATEVER HE WAS DOING......That's an absolute disaster from a Liverpool fan's perspective! Absolute disaster, like somehow his hair is the most important thing in his world! Unbelievable??

I agree Babel may have caused some mayhem in Birminghams defence late on leaving some space for Torres & Gerrard to exploit and his absence was perhaps symptomatic of a coach (I think he said as much himself!) happy with the point?

'Listen to this man, for he speaks the truth'.  Ed, nevermind a trophy or even a regular league title challenge (two seasons running would suffice initially), when was the last time watching our football on a regular basis was enjoyable, even if the result didn't go our way? I feel your frustration.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »
. Shankly would have given him short back and sides.

Sorry ASI, I couldn't resist.  :D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 12:08:47 AM »
Fair play guys for keeping the spirits up! because even a win against United would do nothing to alter my mood after what I saw yesterday!

Tes, I think under Rafa in Europe my expectations regarding our style of play were lowered considerably. To be fair to him, for a while, the results in the Champions League were up there with the best! At the moment I'm not fussed about it because it's not going to happen overnight but I think that every Liverpool team should display character!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »
It will only be fair to judge Roy when the full season is out, when hes had a chance to stamp his authority on the team and when the ownership curse is finally past us all.

That said I think this is a very worthwhile thread for us to comment on the various ups and downs of match day as the season progresses.

What worries me to date about our performances is that they are still Benitez-esque. The tactics are Benitez-esque, the ethos of not wanting to lose against the likes of Birmingham instead of going all out to win is again Benitez-esque. I was a Benitez fan but feel one of his failings was his negative approach. So if it hasnt worked for Rafa who excelled tactically then I dont see this style of play Hodgson is adopting working or being accepted by the Liverpool fans.

Hodgson needs to step out from Rafa's shadow and be his own man. I castigated him for the tactics during the Man City game but in the same breath I said he should be given time and a fair crack of the whip. Roy should be using this time to find what tactics suit us best, for giving the players freedom to attack. This is the time to be making those positive substitutions, bring on Babel and Pacheco to win a game. Its now that fans will afford him the chances to make the mistakes necessary to make this team not only successful but capable of playing decent attacking football.

If 6 months down the line we're sitting in 6th or 7th place and still churning out the same standard of football Roys days will be numbered. It will have nothing to do with money spent or the players that have left the club but everything to do with not having the courage to change the ethos of going out not to lose a game first and attempting to win at all costs second. For LFC thats just not good enough.

I like what Roys done off the field up to now, his signings, the way he deals with the media, his frank approach to interviews all refreshing compared to the way Rafa dealt with situations over this last year.  All that said the main thing is whether Roys is up to the job on the pitch. What I have seen so far raises more questions than it does give answers, formations, player selection, tactics and substitutions and general ability to get the team to play have all looked dubious to say the least. The board may have appointed him to steady the ship but unless he grasps this opportunity to change the way we go about playing the game then Roy could very well be the first casualty when a regime change finally happens at the club.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »
Sorry ASI, I couldn't resist.  :D
It crossed my mind too Tes.  :D It was Jason Lee who had the pineapple haircut.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 03:13:58 PM »
Juan,

You make many excellent points. I too want to see more of Babel and Pacheco. Maybe they'll feature more in European games.

What I will say is this. We've only had 40 minutes of Joe Cole in the league this season and our performance against Arsenal without Torres was pretty good especially in defence. I suppose some of that will be down to Masch who played an excellent last game for us.

But we've yet to see Cole and Torres together and I think that will help a lot. Also Meirieles should feature heavily this season so I'm going to reserve opinion until they've had a few games together.

You have to stay optimistic whatever happens. At least we're probably seeing out the last days of H&G. That has to be positive.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
Replacing one of Skrtel or Carra with Agger would improve our possession and attacking play.