November 12, 2019, 01:45:12 PM

Author Topic: Jay Spearing, signs new contract  (Read 4411 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Jay Spearing, signs new contract
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

Liverpool midfielder Jay Spearing believes he owes manager Kenny Dalglish a great deal for helping him earn a new contract at Anfield.

The 22-year-old former FA Youth Cup-winning captain had been a fringe squad member for the last few years and although he got limited opportunities in the Europa League earlier in the campaign his season was transformed by the arrival of Dalglish.

When the Scot replaced Roy Hodgson in early January one of the first things he did was involve Spearing more, surprisingly giving the midfielder a start in Merseyside derby in his first home match back as Reds boss.

A broken bone in the midfielder's foot curtailed his involvement after that but in the absence of injured captain Steven Gerrard, Spearing has settled into a central role alongside Lucas Leiva and produced some impressive displays in recent weeks.

"I'm pleased to have finally put pen to paper and got everything sorted," said the Wirral-born player, who has been at Liverpool since he was seven.

"I've been here for a long time and playing for Liverpool is all I have ever wanted to do, so hopefully I can keep going now.

"It has been a long time coming. I've been in the background and in and around the first team and maybe not had a run in the team, but now I'm getting that run I've been able to show my desire and commitment to the club.

"I owe a lot to the boss and hopefully I am repaying him with the games I am playing.

"He put me into the derby straight away and that gave me a lot of confidence.

"Any player who has the belief of the manager always wants to go on and show what he can do.

"With the new boss coming in and the way we have been playing and with me getting some game time, it has been a good couple of months and this has topped it off for me."

Dalglish insisted, however, that all the credit should go to the player.

"It is great news for us and great for him and everyone concerned," said the Scot.

"It is just reward for the performances he has put in and he deserves what he has got.

"He is a great asset to have. I suppose this is an extension of the work which has been put in by Jay not only to get a game but to get a new contract."

The 60-year-old Scot believes Spearing's development is another indicator of the great strides made both on the pitch with the first team and behind the scenes at the academy.

"Jay has started the last few games for us, which is progress in itself," he added.

"He was never in the starting XI unless there were injuries or suspensions but he is in there now and is there on merit.

"He has reached a higher level than he has before. I don't know if he knows what level is expected of him but we are delighted with what he has done."

Director of football Damien Comolli believes Spearing has a significant role to play in the club's future and that, as much as his recent performances, was why he was tied down to a new deal.

"To be fair to him, it's not only what he has done in the last four or five games that triggered the new contract," said the Frenchman.

"We have been talking for quite a while independently of what he was doing on the field but that was confirmation that it was the right thing to do.

"We think he will be part of the future of the club which is why we rewarded him with a new contract.

"He was part of the team which won two Youth Cups and it's great for the club to have people like him around.

"It shows others that if you do well at the academy then you have a chance of getting new contracts."

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Jay Spearing, signs new contract
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:24:05 PM »
great lad.

like I have said for years, when captain marvel's shadow wanes, others will get the chance to blossom and develop.

it's great to see the likes of Lucas and Spearing do so well - and our young lads in defence.  Great to see.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Subsy

• Just starting out
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »
great lad.

like I have said for years, when captain marvel's shadow wanes, others will get the chance to blossom and develop.

it's great to see the likes of Lucas and Spearing do so well - and our young lads in defence.  Great to see.

Yep, looking forward to being able to say the same about jonjo when he gets an extended run too...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »
It's well deserved. He's took his chance well and hopefully he'll also serve as an inspiration to every player at the academy. Not convinced he's the best we can get in his position, but he's the man in possession of the shirt and the one that has to be shifted.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »
Great to see local lads doing well. And well done spearo on getting added to the u 21's squad for the summer

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
Not convinced he's the best we can get in his position, but he's the man in possession of the shirt and the one that has to be shifted.

I would have agreed 3 or 4 matches ago. But I really think he could be very important to us. He's a little terrier.he's 22 so he's got a couple of years before we see him at his best. In January I was hopeful we would sign Charlie Adam. But now because of jays emergence if we don't sign him it wouldn't bother me. It's a shame he's not a foot taller but his passion makes up for that

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
Equally a couple of months ago I suggested the likes of Spearing Lucas Maxi all be moved on in the summer. What a difference a coupe of months make. to be honest I dont think its a case that in the last few months the likes of Spearing have become different players, its just that Kenny has the ability  to make them play at the maximum of their ability. Kennys team like any potentially successful team should seems like it will be about the sum of all its parts rather than having 11 star players.

Its like the Liverpool of old and dare I say it the United of the last 20 years. In recent times players like John OShea, Park, Fletcher all would possibly have floundered in lesser teams but Ferguson has managed to make them consistently perform. Kenny seems to be already having that sort of effect and it can only mean a more settled squad and bodes well for future success. So good luck to players like Spearing, I really hope he and others can keep this sort of consistency up because the future is bright if they can.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »
He'll be a good squad player, but never a 'first name on the team sheet' type. He will always be able to come in and 'do a job', beit a single game or for a run of a few months. These sort of players are crucial to having a strong, deep squad.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.