December 05, 2020, 03:24:54 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 211042 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
Quote from: Ageing Stick Insect on Today at 06:21:38 PM<blockquote>You don't need to edit every time. I haven't edited anything with this reply. Just hit Toggle View and see how you do with that. If you're still struggling then Jim needs to help if you can't figure it out.

i hit Toggle View 2 or 3 posts ago (an hour or more ago).

it is only marginally better - the html tags are still visible tho.  WHo is gonna be bothered edititng html tags every time.

ah hell,  there are numerous problems with this crappy template.

It is much work, trying to post in here.

</blockquote>
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

BatChainPuller

« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2010, 06:30:53 PM »
Must have been beginners luck but I didn't have any problems posting (Firefox 3.6.10).

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »
BCP, that's the same version of firefox that I have.

what version of windows are you using?

I am on windows 7.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2010, 07:28:16 PM »

I am on windows 7.
XP here dude. Maybe that's a factor?
Cheers,
Ray

BatChainPuller

« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »

I am on windows 7.

I'm on XP - looks like the problem right there.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »
0-2 down at half-time to Blackpool. What on earth is going on?

The players simply don't enjoy or believe in what they're being asked to do.

We as fans don't like watching this way of playing (if there's even any method behind it) so it must be really tough for technical players to have to perform this dogged way of playing.

We have quality players, maybe not as many as we'd like, but enough, with positive tactics and attitude, to at least mount a reasonable challenge for fourth. If City click, then there's probably 3 truly realistic challengers for the title, so yes we'd be up against Arsenal and probably Spurs for fourth, but if we were to be more positive and set out to force teams back instead of appearing to be trying to hang on and hopefully pinch something, then as results came, so would belief and confidence and it take on it's on self fuelling momentum.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »

I am on windows 7.

I have the same Firefox but I'm on XP and no problems. Looking like Windows 7 is whats doing it.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »

We as fans don't like watching this way of playing (if there's even any method behind it) so it must be really tough for technical players to have to perform this dogged way of playing.

We have quality players, maybe not as many as we'd like, but enough, with positive tactics and attitude, to at least mount a reasonable challenge for fourth. If City click, then there's probably 3 truly realistic challengers for the title, so yes we'd be up against a*senal and probably Spurs for fourth, but if we were to be more positive and set out to force teams back instead of appearing to be trying to hang on and hopefully pinch something, then as results came, so would belief and confidence and it take on it's on self fuelling momentum.

It's as simple as this Tes. Unless we play a more attack-minded and pacier game we will not emerge from this dark period any time soon. It's time for drastic action. For Roy that equates to two forwards and wingers even if it goes against everything he stands for. If he's not prepared to do it then I fear the fans will turn against him. But if they see he's trying to improve things with change then they'll stick with him.

I've just watched LFCTV's Gerrard's top goals and it included his spectacular volley against Real Madrid 18 months ago. Babel provided a top notch cross that Gerrard converted. If he can do it then then he can do it now.

Fourth should not be beyond us but the tactics have to change against Everton. If Roy feels he can't do that then he knows what he must do.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
Exactly, and let's ditch this two defensive minded holding midfielders. We need to get a central midfielder breaking into the box and playing further forward looking to slip balls inside full backs, between centre halves, keeping the ball moving around the edge of the area.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2010, 10:42:24 PM »

We have quality players, maybe not as many as we'd like, but enough, with positive tactics and attitude, to at least mount a reasonable challenge for fourth. If City click, then there's probably 3 truly realistic challengers for the title, so yes we'd be up against a*senal and probably Spurs for fourth, but if we were to be more positive and set out to force teams back instead of appearing to be trying to hang on and hopefully pinch something, then as results came, so would belief and confidence and it take on it's on self fuelling momentum.

Didnt see todays game so for once I'm not going to tear strips off Roy or the team for their part in the latest farce.

Even though I suggested in some earlier posts that we might struggle to win today I actually thought we would win comfortably by 2 or 3. The fact that we have actually lost has changed things. We are away to Everton next. A tough fixture at any point in any season but you can bet your money that they will be more motivated than ever to add to the clubs suffering. After that we host Blackburn at home, another club that would love to kick us while we are down. On the basis of todays result teams are going to see us as a soft touch and go for the jugular. Unless we stop the slide we could actually find ourselves being dragged into a relegation battle. The worst thing our fans and players could possibly start to think now is that we are too good to go down. I know we are only 7 games in and talking about relegation battles is a bit dramatic but while we lie in 18th place or anywhere near we have got to understand that at the moment thats what this is.

The owners repayments fall due in October, the bank could possibly take over the club. The word on the street is that the board have been discussing with the Premier League a means where we dont lose 9 points. But what if when the times comes we go into administration and the Premier League decide we must take the points deduction. That would currently put us on -3 points and 9 points from safety. Lose to Everton and that's potentially 12 points from safety, all of a sudden things are getting a bit hairy and we are deeper in trouble than we think.

I'm not sure what needs to happen but something does need to change and fast

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2010, 12:20:44 PM »
es ASI, BCP, Juan, it may be that the theme is not compatible with windows 7.

but why did it suddenly only go wonky in the past 10 days.  Did  some new update in windows 7 mess it up.....OR did Jim do some tweaking of the template.  Need some feedback from Jim here.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2010, 12:25:12 AM »
es ASI, BCP, Juan, it may be that the theme is not compatible with windows 7.

but why did it suddenly only go wonky in the past 10 days.  Did  some new update in windows 7 mess it up.....OR did Jim do some tweaking of the template.  Need some feedback from Jim here.

That there Gates fellow has a lot to answer for. Bloody Americans are even f$cking up the forum.  :D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:42 AM »
Didnt see todays game so for once I'm not going to tear strips off Roy or the team for their part in the latest farce.

Even though I suggested in some earlier posts that we might struggle to win today I actually thought we would win comfortably by 2 or 3. The fact that we have actually lost has changed things. We are away to Everton next. A tough fixture at any point in any season but you can bet your money that they will be more motivated than ever to add to the clubs suffering. After that we host Blackburn at home, another club that would love to kick us while we are down. On the basis of todays result teams are going to see us as a soft touch and go for the jugular. Unless we stop the slide we could actually find ourselves being dragged into a relegation battle. The worst thing our fans and players could possibly start to think now is that we are too good to go down. I know we are only 7 games in and talking about relegation battles is a bit dramatic but while we lie in 18th place or anywhere near we have got to understand that at the moment thats what this is.

The owners repayments fall due in October, the bank could possibly take over the club. The word on the street is that the board have been discussing with the Premier League a means where we dont lose 9 points. But what if when the times comes we go into administration and the Premier League decide we must take the points deduction. That would currently put us on -3 points and 9 points from safety. Lose to Everton and that's potentially 12 points from safety, all of a sudden things are getting a bit hairy and we are deeper in trouble than we think.

I'm not sure what needs to happen but something does need to change and fast

Juan, I thinking the difference between us and say Southampton is that we have no solvency issues apart from the holding company's debt. Whether that's enough to save us losing 9 points who knows. Afterall these are Premiership rules and as we know, common sense and the Premier League administration are total strangers.

wittsy

« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »
I'm out of ideas as to comment on this game, dire.

Change now before we really are in a relugation battle I say..

Jas

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »
  Quote from: Tes on October 05, 2010, 12:25:12 AM  <blockquote>That there Gates fellow has a lot to answer for. Bloody Americans are even f$cking up the forum.  :D
</blockquote>   

:D

bleedin yankees.

(tho someone else in here did post of similar woes and they were accessing the forum from some other device - i forget it's name, wipad, atari, touchpad, y-box, telephone or summat)